Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62252 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-BATTLE REPORT 808!
« Reply #465 on: August 14, 2016, 04:02:51 pm »

Thinking on the turn after this upcoming one, as we'll be delaying planes by a turn to try to get a suitable engine. I'm thinking we could do something like 130HP engine, Recruitment Facility, Direct Recruiting/Design Refinements, Various Production Buildings (15 engineers).

We were able to directly shop around for recruits before though I don't have the numbers on that at the moment, so that is something we could do.

"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 14, 2016, 04:46:22 pm »

A massive portion of all aircraft in WW1 were scout/observation planes.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 14, 2016, 04:49:55 pm »

Makes sense, my thinking was spending some design actions to bring together technologies to have a better observation plane and potentially doing the same with airships.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 14, 2016, 07:30:31 pm »

Wait why do we need a 40mm gun?

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 14, 2016, 11:49:38 pm »

Right now our Type Bs are armed with 1 75mm Ratio and 2 37mm black powder Revolving Cannons (and a bunch of HMGs). The 40 mm autocannon will significantly increase the Type B's power and ability to get shells out. In addition to that, the 40mm can be used as a more intermediary and faster firing artillery piece on land, as well as serve as our first tank gun.

Due to its faster firing, it should also serve well as the basis for our artillery AA guns.

Basically, it's an upgrade of something we already have in the field that will provide a lot of versitility. Once we get resources sorted out, we're probably going to spend a fair amount of development making sure that we have lots of artillery to support the field and prevent the Monarchy from taking back ground.

Something I've noticed is that we don't really have a strategic plan. We've been hopping from one thing to another without the clearest focus. I think we should decide on strategies for each front and area of focus (Land, Sea, Air, Economy, Misc) so that we can better tailor our designs and goals towards those points.

Spoiler: Some ideas on that (click to show/hide)

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2016, 12:00:25 am »

Why not just use a 37mm gun that's uses smokeless powder.

And with your phrasing things-at least to me- it sounds like your expecting an auto-cannon which would be impossible to mount on a tank.

If your going with a quickfire gun then again why not just use a 37mm gun.
For auto-cannons we could probably do a pom-pom:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_1-pounder_pom-pom
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:29:18 am by Slick »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 15, 2016, 01:30:30 am »

Slick, you mind clarifying what you mean by "an autocannon which would be impossible to mount on a tank"? This interests me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:55:26 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 15, 2016, 01:41:12 am »

Because we don't have a 37mm gun that uses smokeless powder and will need to design one anyway, so we might as well get a bit more bang for our buck so to say. I'm not understanding a difference between the 37mm and 40mm that would make the previous preferable.

I'm trying to think of a reason why a 40mm autocannon couldn't be mounted on a tank, as there wouldn't be any casing to remove from said tank. If anything, it would make the gunner's job easier due to the loading mechanism, such that they could spend more time firing and less time loading.

@Aseaheru: I guess Slick autocorrected to Stirk?

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 15, 2016, 01:50:14 am »

Most autocannons larger then 20 mm or so would simply be to big to be mounted on a tank turret at this time heck the reason the M3 Lee had a sponson mounted main gun was because nobody could make a turret large enough for it, an that's a normal gun , and if we do manage it in all likelihood it won't have an enclosed turret.

Look heres the 37 mm Gun M3 and the 37mm Gun M1:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37_mm_Gun_M3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37_mm_Gun_M1

If you look at the two of them and likely any pictures of em you'll find that the autocannon has some size compared to the normal gun I think thats' the wording I'm looking for.
Edit:
In fact here's a picture of the inside of a M42 Duster this uses twin 40mm guns note that this is an early Cold War vehicle:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Notice how much space is used by the guns.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:17:14 am by Slick »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 15, 2016, 02:17:33 am »

Worst comes to worst, we design the 40mm autocannon as the base, and if we can't get the tank to work with it, we can redesign it as a quick fire for tank use, allowing us to use the autocannon and have a tank gun.

Looking at the picture, I'm not really seeing what the big deal is. Presuming that they managed to shrink the size of the guns rather than increase the size with additional parts, one of our 40mms would probably be around 1.5 times the size of one of their guns, if not smaller. We'll just have to make sure that the design can handle the gun before deploying it.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 15, 2016, 02:19:19 am »

Do you see how much space is used upped in the design?
And that's a Early Cold War design.

Again sorry if I sound hostile.

Edit:
Unrelated to this current discussion but are links to Deviantart allowed because there is some good stuff there that might
be helpful?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:34:17 am by Slick »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 15, 2016, 02:36:55 am »

I honesty am unable to conceptualize whether that is a lot of space used up or not. It's contained within the turret? I know it looks like it's a fair size larger than the Renault FT's gun on Wikipedia, but as the one in the picture is apparently a 8mm machine gun and does not show the 37mm variant, I'm unable to have a concept of the difference.

We'd already acknowledged that we were probably going to need to have a larger tonnage than 10 tons, so accommodating for the space needed for the autocannon doesn't seem like the most difficult thing in the world.

How much more does an autocannon tend to weigh in comparison to quick fire and regular fire versions?

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 15, 2016, 02:46:10 am »

That isn't a cutaway that is the actual turret which is open topped.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:47:51 am by Slick »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2016, 03:00:54 am »

I honestly don't understand the problem. As in, please explain the problem to me, I do not understand the issue of the moment. Feel free to link to anything, to my knowledge the only restriction on links are in relation to pirated software being a big no-no.

Don't worry about sounding hostile. You haven't ever sounded hostile and at "worst" you've sounded passionate, which is not a bad thing. The worst that could happen is a PM in relation to a comment asking about how one caused offense or something.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 15, 2016, 03:05:37 am »

The duster was an SPAA form of the Walker Bulldog.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49