Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62299 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-BATTLE REPORT 808!
« Reply #390 on: August 03, 2016, 12:35:20 am »

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to confirm something.

In Pi's production plan, we have 4 Swordfish Type Bs listed as being produced, 1.3 per docking slip which would lead to 3.9 Type Bs which Pi rounded up to 4. In the battle report, 3 ships were listed as destroyed, 2/3rds of the Type Bs and one original model, which suggests that we produced 3 Type Bs, not 4.

Is it correct to conclude that any fractions left from ship production do not add together for additional production?

If this is the case, we might want to consider designing a 70 tonne boat to get the most out of our production. Possibly the torpedo boat that everyone glanced over when the first design for one almost blew up.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 03, 2016, 09:11:14 am »

So it sounds like they used their production to resolve their artillery numbers problem and churn out the two Z-Classes, plus whatever maintaince production they decided to keep up if any. The night attack let us keep ground, but that's probably not going to hold for long.
It depends on what they do. From my point of view, there's few alternatives in the land war: They'll probably design a tank. Which means we should, in turn, probably design both a tank and an AT gun (to be used in the tank, too).

Damn. We're probably going to need to spend a turn doing minimal design/redesign work and just churn out a bunch of production infrastructure. At least if we want to be able to keep up with producing the arms we want as well as match or overcome their artillery numbers. Before it was more a question of if, but I think now it's become a when. At least until the resource rules are implemented.
I'm not sure it's that bad - they mass more guns than last turn, but there's still not that much about them having a large material advantage - we're probably producing fewer artillery guns than they are, but that's because we chose to build a few mortars, instead. Which, apparently, work fine.

I'm thinking of a future turn progression along the lines of Production>Navy>Air>Land, shifting Land forward if needed.
I don't really agree. I believe we do have enough efficient design actions available to allow us to do that adaptively, especially since we'll probably have several designs requiring a redesign. That being said, I agree on doing more factory building next turn.

If this is the case, we might want to consider designing a 70 tonne boat to get the most out of our production. Possibly the torpedo boat that everyone glanced over when the first design for one almost blew up.
Hm. A smaller torpedo boat, armed mainly with the two torpedoes. We could even use our Pattern 807 engines (four of them, probably; tandem operations should have been tested with the Mule), which should allow them an even higher speed.

Also, I've been thinking. The battle report says that "under-armed Z-Class, which weighs in at 800 ton but carries less armaments than the significantly smaller Swordfish" - to me, this implies either a failed roll or them concentrating on armour. This'd also explain them ignoring the 37mm blackpowder cannons - another reason for us to upgrade them.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 03, 2016, 02:42:31 pm »

I vote we spend next turn doing any redesign work we need and building production lines, focusing mostly on more production (what we redesign will have to wait for this turn's design results, but I think only two or three things at most).

High on our list to redesign should be the swordfish turret mount...

+1 for pattern 808 trench camouflage, that seems to be exactly what we need in that area.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2016, 03:42:18 pm »

30 engineers, 10 for design work, 20 for production, that should allow us to do work on 2-4 designs and produce something like 6,000pp worth of factories or other facilities. That should put us in a solid position for recovery and advancement I think.

4 engineers can create 4x300pp factories and 3 engineers are able to add another 300 ton slipway to the drydock.

We can use 9 of the production engineers to create 3 more 300 ton slipways (or another drydock with expansions as necessary). 11 Engineers can create 12x300pp factories without real risk. I'm going to suggest we have them make 12x350pp factories to try to get that extra edge of production.

Of course this all depends on design results, but I feel like this will provide a nice balance of design work, naval production, and land production.

For designs, I'm seeing the Swordfish B turret and Radio as likely areas where we'll invest engineers, for revision and expansion respectively.

Refitting a Swordfish takes 1 month according to previous discussion. Assuming we can implement the turret revision this turn, we can refit our 4 remaining Swordfish as well as churn out 3 more of the revised Type Bs without issue.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2016, 03:45:33 pm »

That seems about right, provided no one points out any problems that should be our basic plan for next turn...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 03, 2016, 03:51:00 pm »

I hope the flaw in my plan is that I didn't account for the influx of engineers we're about to get. In my dreams, we got another 20 newbies and 10 basics.

Can we ask the government for more personnel again and it not seem unreasonable?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2016, 03:52:30 pm »

We should also look into making a much heavier sized drydock.  Once they get weapons on that monster of a boat they have we may be trouble, so we might want a heavier ship with more powerful and longer ranged weapons to accompany our smaller boats.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 03, 2016, 07:21:47 pm »

Hey this is back again but why we are discussing camouflage uniforms when we don't even have regular ones?

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 03, 2016, 08:02:20 pm »

Because that's what we assigned engineers to. There was some vagueness about what we actually wanted done with camo, which is why the discussion.

Part of the project includes standardized uniforms of some sort.

We should also look into making a much heavier sized drydock.  Once they get weapons on that monster of a boat they have we may be trouble, so we might want a heavier ship with more powerful and longer ranged weapons to accompany our smaller boats.
We can add it to the list. Our Swordfish Type Bs can get the job done, the problem is that their lessened maunverability is getting them killed.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 03, 2016, 08:13:48 pm »

Okay so if are going this route after can we do normal uniforms afterwards because we have very few things that are standard right now when it comes to infantry we don't even have standard knives.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 03, 2016, 08:25:26 pm »

There are normal, standardized(mostly) uniforms.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 03, 2016, 08:27:33 pm »

Very well then what color are they?

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 03, 2016, 08:32:12 pm »

The problem is that we have about 15 different things we need to do and standardizing and improving uniforms is rather low ranked on that list.

Here's what I purpose you do Slick. On the first page there's a list of what the standard equipment is for our soldiers. Create design proposals that improve or provide 4 areas at a time. Something like
Quote from: Improved Infantry Equipment
Providing standardized rations, a small shovel, a pocket watch, and identification tags, this update to the standard Republic soldier's equipment is aimed to help streamline logistics and help better coordinate our troops.

Come up with something like three more of those and we'll be able to include modernization of Infantry kit as a possibly reasonable project to work on.

The color of the uniforms are "not camo but otherwise neutral stat wise" to my knowledge. I'm not quite sure what our national colors are.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:38:44 pm by somemildmanneredidiot »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 03, 2016, 08:37:03 pm »

Mostly a dull brown or cream color, depending on if its made out of undyed wool or undyed linen. The leather goods are all brownish red.

Also, how long have I had "britches" spelled "breaches"?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 03, 2016, 08:41:42 pm »

Something like 4-5 months. Breeches also works apparently.

Mind if I get confirmation on the below question?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 49