Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62324 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(STARTING 808)
« Reply #360 on: July 29, 2016, 01:08:51 pm »

After reading up on it, it doesn't sound reliable enough for RL use. It would be useful if we were building in the arctic, but not for our actual situation.

As for flame throwers: I think they would be better made large (high pressure pumps = longer range) and mounted on light tanks for use against bunkers and trench lines.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 29, 2016, 02:21:36 pm »

The things are legitimately amazing for enclosed spaces because they burn all the oxygen into carbon monoxide very rapidly. Firing a flamethrower for one second into a smallish bunker can asphyxiate everyone inside, even if nobody is harmed by the flames. I would say that man-portable flamers are extremely useful for this sort of warfare.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 29, 2016, 06:37:26 pm »

That is 100% true, but anti-bunker is only of use if we are attacking fortifications. Larger flamers on armored vehicles would be usable for suppressing infantry in trenches, a much more likely situation. Also a flame tank can mount a high pressure pump for more range. More range == better. A flame tank could also suppress a bunker by targeting it's firing slit...

Consider the M4A3R3 (sounds like a SW droid...), it was awesome against bunkers, and it had far more range than an infantry flamethrower. Mostly the flame tank would be good to lead infantry assaults (clear enemy trenches).

Infantry flamethrowers are too bulky for fast movement, and they are very visible, marking that guy as a priority target. That would limit them to urban or jungle combat (short sight lines). Flame tanks would be very effective until good anti-armor was a thing.

Further though leads me to the conclusion that we should skip flamethrowers and go for thermobaric shells, in world war 2 the germans experimented with thermobaric bombs using coal dust for fuel, so it wouldn't be totally impossible for us.

EDIT: Here have a quote from wikipedia:

Finally, the flamethrower's effective range was short in comparison with that of other battlefield weapons of similar size. To be effective, flamethrower soldiers must approach their target, risking exposure to enemy fire. Vehicular flamethrowers also have this problem; they may have considerably greater range than a man-portable flamethrower, but their range is still short compared with that of other infantry weapons.

Also I found these ranges quoted:
25 yards for an infantry thrower (flammenwerfer 35)
"less than 150" yards for a flame tank
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:45:20 pm by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 29, 2016, 09:12:12 pm »

So they're the explosive type that was originally explained to me as setting fire to the atmosphere. Apparently Russia uses this type of explosive in pump action grenade launchers for their Spec Ops.

I see a couple issues with the shell, relating to the liquid oxygen component. It's definitely going to be pretty complex, both to design and to produce. Like, we're going to need to actually make that munitions design facility I've been harping about as well as make a specific factory for production to handle the complexity for it as I don't think any old factory will be easily retooled to handle it.

All in all, I'm for it. We're going to have to look into how resources work before we can initiate it, because this will definitely be a multi-turn, resource intensive project, but it looks like it will be very effective once we get it up and running.

Since anti-bunker has been mentioned, should we look into designing a bunker system? We could have engineers go out to the front to make more infrastructure to help, though that sounds rather risky.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:09 pm »

FAEs are designed to not use self-contained oxidizers. Well, beyond that initial one.

Anyways, work on the turn is stalled right now.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 29, 2016, 09:23:36 pm »

Thermobaric weapons, or Fuel-Air Explosives, use a small explosive charge to aerosolize a large quantity of fuel, which mixes with the surrounding air for its oxidizer, then is ignited. This creates a concussive blast of considerable force and lights just about everything involved on fire.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 29, 2016, 09:27:53 pm »

@FAE: I was assuming that we would be aiming for something similar to the German design as that is what's closest history wise. I'm more than glad to go for a more efficient and less complex model.

@Turn Stall: Makes sense, the posting was to see about keeping interest in the game and because I'd remembered a few ideas. Also because the thread had fallen down a few pages.

Take all the time you need. If it takes a month or two or longer to get back to it, then it takes a month or two or longer. In the meanwhile we can stumble on ideas and refine and debate specific designs so that the next design phase or three has some parts prepared in advance.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 01, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »

Turn stall just means we have lots of time to put our evil little minds to use coming up with cool ideas...

The big problem I can see with thermobaric rounds is spreading the fuel without igniting it. AFAIK the solution here is actually easy, prevent the initial "burst" charge from getting any external oxygen until it is fully burned out. Obviously a high velocity, low temperature explosive works best. If the ignition source is in the center, then as soon as the fuel is sufficiently mixed it should go off quite satisfyingly...

Actually it may be easier to make ICM (Improved Conventional Munition, cluster bomb basically) rounds for anti-infantry first, just to get some experience with advanced artillery rounds. +1 to building a munitions design facility soonish.

Anyone give any further thought to spending most of a turn on building factories? The more I think about it the more it grows on me. If we build a crap load of factories we can simple outproduce our foes and crush them under out fully equipped modern army.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 01, 2016, 03:59:58 pm »

I remembered doing some guesstimates on how many factories we could make, presuming we had teams of 3-4 each.
Quote from: Me on pg 19
9 teams make 4x300pp factory lines each, that will provide us with 10,800pp which would about triple our current production (for a total of 18,100 pp after the factories this turn are built with 3,900pp of that specified for specific arms)

Here are some specific buildings that have been suggested over time.
Quote from: Also me on pg 19
-Airfield
-Specialized Munitions Design Building
-Drydock
-Artillery factory
-General factory
-Improved Design Studio
-Harbor
-Improved Workshop
-Fancy Test Lab (for things like wind tunnels and pools)

There are two big issues I can see with mass producing factories. The first is, with the upcoming resource system, we might not have the resources to build all of the factories we'd like nor be able to use them to full capacity due to expensive components or just plain running out of more common things. The second is, if the previous isn't a problem or one we can surmount, it'll turn this game into a question of who has the more factories rather than who has better designs. Granted, better and more logistics has won a vast number of wars, so it is more than a valid path to pursue.

I'm definitely in favor of creating a bunch more factories. We're going to reach a point where to get out useful things in usable quantities that turn, we're going to need to have something like 15,000pp to throw around. It all really comes down to how the new resource system works and what we'll have avaliable. I suspect we'll have an edge with our naval blockades though.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:04:15 pm by somemildmanneredidiot »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 01, 2016, 04:06:41 pm »

Something worthy of note is that in the First World War, Germany was forced by shortages to trade with the Entente for rubber.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 01, 2016, 04:50:02 pm »

Specifically, their optics.

However, there are no colonial forces in this world, strangely enough.
Highly Opinionated Fool

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 01, 2016, 04:53:22 pm »

There are vassal states however.....

So we rebelled against the Monarchy, do you think it would be possible to fund and arm revolution in Monarchy territory? Now I really want to spend a few designs helping out our spies.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 01, 2016, 05:54:46 pm »

Remember: the fluff says none of the minor powers like either side very much, which means our allies are unlikely to be very close to us, but also means their vassals are unlike to be very close to them either...

Interesting possibilities there. We probably won't be able to do much, since diplomacy isn't out responsibility...

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 01, 2016, 06:31:28 pm »

But design and production are  :D

Once we get a few more factories up and running, we could produce trade items (weapons, not weapons, potted plants) in exchange for other resources.

Actually, we seem to be in charge of the entirety of our war production besides munitions. An interesting choice by our government.

@Aseaheru: Are we able to consult with members of the military to see what areas they would appreciate improvements in, or is that covered by the AARs from the field? Do we have an idea of what equipment our spies are using and do they have any requests? (Probably no on both request fronts, but better to ask than not.)

Playing more to our design strengths, we could design things that make certain diplomatic and espionage options easier to accomplish, encouraging policy that way. Exactly what, I'm a bit unsure of, but it's an idea.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 01, 2016, 06:43:18 pm »

It mostly is covered by the AARs, but you can ask for more.

In related news, I left without saving my work for dinner, and returned to a shut-down computer. Which may have been due to the heat.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49