Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62265 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(STARTING 808)
« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:12 am »

Links are completely fine. This form uses bbcode for replies and if you look above the reply box there are buttons to help with that. There's also a Help button next to the Home button at the right underneath the News at the top of the page that can help as well.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2016, 08:47:51 am »

Hi I just got an account on this site because of how interesting this game looks so is it okay if I join in and I don't know throw a few ideas out.
Welcome on board!

Well mildmannered depending on the circumstances next turn perhaps we could work on an equivalent of the Ford 3-ton tank...um am I allowed to post links I'm still getting used to the idea of posting on a forum and it might help me get the point across. -Edit-                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Well here's the vehicle I'm talking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_3-Ton_M1918
That's a very good point - I had assumed that we'd need a stronger motor for tanks but, as it turns out, the Ford 3-tonner ran on two 20hp engines, and the Renault FT (which we might use as another orientation, since it's arguably the first "modern" tank) on a 32hp engine. We have a light, awesome, 55hp engine.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2016, 12:48:32 pm »

In other news, I found what is likely a useful reference point for our current rifle cartridge on Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.15×61mmR
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2016, 12:55:38 pm »

In other news, I found what is likely a useful reference point for our current rifle cartridge on Wikipedia: HERE
FIFY
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2016, 01:01:43 pm »

I'd like to add as well, but i don't know what to add....
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2016, 01:07:02 pm »

Plan Pi seems about right, so +1 for that.

Mortars and grenades sharing ammo is not worth the hassle. For one thing we don't want anemic little mortars, 80mm is plenty small. 60mm commando mortars are barely worth the effort, and we don't have unlimited industrial capacity.

For tanks: The m4 sherman had a 400hp engine, so I would guess our current engine won't be good for much beyond light tanks and armored cars. That said light tanks and armored cars are just what we need right now... The m3 halftrack had a 147 HP engine, so we should be able to use a Mule chassis (110 HP, in two engines) as the basis of a respectable armored transport. The Frontline? Of course we still need to see how the Mule turns out...

Figuring out a good (cheap) way to make a self-propelled Ratio, combined with an armored transport and a good light tank could allow us to steamroll our enemies in short order (provided they don't have any good anti-armor weapons, which isn't likely sadly).

For the coming airship: How hard would it be to mount a Ratio or two on each side I wonder? Bombing is for losers, let's give them a taste of aerial artillery! As a bonus we can turn the Ratios on any enemy airships, sending them smoking to the ground in short order. Obviously this would be better with a ~40mm automatic cannon, but we don't have one of those yet. The main benefit is the ability for the gunners to see what they are firing at, greatly increasing effectiveness (fire straight into observed trenches!).

Something else to look at: Flamethrowers. Not necessarily for infantry, but for mounting on a light tank (once we design one). Obviously this would be something of a "stretch goal" :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2016, 01:42:42 pm »

Hey I just thought of something what is our nation's ability to perform battlefield medicine you know triage and other such things.
Hmm perhaps when the time comes we should make a field ambulance variant for the Mule.
Actually do we have dog tag system in place for our troops and since I'm spit-balling here do we have some form of military food rations in place you know
A-ration
B-ration
C-ration
That sort of thing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:45:18 pm by Slick »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2016, 01:50:48 pm »

There are no standardized field rations along those lines, nor dogtags. There are unit-specific markers though.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2016, 03:44:32 pm »

There are no standardized field rations along those lines, nor dogtags. There are unit-specific markers though.
Well that's a bit disconcerting because with the limited look your post gives it paints a rather bad picture of what our Rear Echelon looks like if it exist in any recognizable state.
So does our nation have anything resembling a Quartermaster Corps.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:48:47 pm by Slick »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2016, 07:02:53 pm »

Mortars and grenades sharing ammo is not worth the hassle. For one thing we don't want anemic little mortars, 80mm is plenty small. 60mm commando mortars are barely worth the effort, and we don't have unlimited industrial capacity.

I'd have to agree, sadly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2016, 07:15:21 pm »

After this next design turn, we might want to consider having a turn where we only build additional production buildings. With 30 engineers at the moment,  we should be able to make at least 9 sets of 4x300pp factory set ups (or dry docks or air fields or etc) which should be plenty for churning out all of our different designs. An extra 10,800 in pp should give us a lot of breathing room production wise.

Collecting things for this upcoming design turn because I've already voted. This is incomplete because bay12 on mobile has a tendency to clear some of the words added inbetween text being added to the post. It has been frustrating.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A thing I noticed while doing the binge. We have 2 allies and the Monarchy has 3 vassal states. We don't really know what those states are doing for the Monarchy. It could be anything from designs to additional production to things we haven't thought of. If we're able to have our espionage department to look into that it might be helpful.

Edit: That should about sum it up. Let me know if I missed anything or if there's anything you want to add.

@Slick: Standardized food things are included in our Infantry Equipment design, which we have not actually made yet.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:47:00 pm by somemildmanneredidiot »
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2016, 11:04:46 pm »

mildmannered presumably dogtags would come with the Infantry Equipment design once we research it right.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 08, 2016, 03:43:43 am »

For the life of me, I can't find the post that had the infantry equipment design listed. It was right in front of me as well. Best as I can recall, the design had standardized food, shovels, and some third thing which may have been boots. I heavily invite you to search for it as I seem to have botched my search check.

If it isn't included, I don't see any problems with editing it into the design. Policy as far as I know states that small things and not directly military related things have a quite easy DC and are quite alright to bundle together without much difficulty. Which is how we're able to have at least three completely separate things be considered underneath the same design.

Do you mind if I ask the importance of dog tags? The best I'm able to think of is in relation to body identification and medical related fact checking. Which while important, doesn't seem to be something that we have infrastructure to be immediately useful. Though that is giving me ideas for our combat ambulance.

@Aseaheru: Are you able to provide any information about how the medical side of things works here? I would also like to ask about intelligence reports relating to our allies and anything we may have already composed in relation to this war and the Monarchy and if they exist.

Sidenote:

The cost to turn all of our Pattern 782 STR into Pattern 804 STR is 654pp. We might want to consider using 218pp a turn for the next three turns to convert all 32,700 rifles. In comparison that would otherwise get us armament for 7.1 Type Bs, 65.4 Ratios, 130.8 HMG, 261.6 Mortars, 467.1 Trench Brooms, 654 engines, or 1090 Revolving Rifles. I'm not in a position to judge if this is the best use of those pp. We currently have 4250pp of general production a turn with an additional 900pp specified for Artillery production with 900 ton divided along 3 dry docks. (Really, right now I'm just imagining the effect of adding 10,800pp to our production and am trying to figure out reasons against building as many production buildings as possible besides "Our government probably wants to use that land for something else." and "That kind of seems like a cheap way to win.")
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:54:51 am by somemildmanneredidiot »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 08, 2016, 03:59:30 am »

Honestly, even if we're producing tens of thousands of rifles per year, per facility, that still only gets us up to an inter-war european nation. Our current scale of production is tiny by any kind of 20th century standard.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 08, 2016, 04:54:26 am »

Well yeah, but we're not dealing with a European nation (most if not all of which have been global military powers at some point in their history), we're dealing with a nation half the size of Italy.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49