Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: GLORY TO THE DIGPERIUM  (Read 5710 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
Re: GLORY TO THE DIGPERIUM
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 11:35:42 am »

OOC: [Edit] I used the wrong links)
------------------------------------------------
12th of Granite

I have sent roaringdragon2 to begin digging out our new home at the base of the cliffs. The hall will no doubt change as we begin to carve down the mountain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4th of Slate

As we waiting for the hall to finish so we could bring our stuff underground into a stockpile, I realized it was taking too long. Due to an abundance of hematite and lignite where we had been digging, I set about building a wood furnace after cutting down one of two fully grown trees to make charcoal, then I moved onto a smelter to get both coal and iron, and finally a smithy to make us more picks. Armok knows how many picks and miner's we'll be needing... I should make a lot more. Everyone who can dig will need to dig come time for the carving of the mountain.

20th of Slate

The stockpile is finally complete! I'm aware it looks like a poorly made ax, but it works. Or it would if the dolts would help in moving our supplies from the cart. Useless asshats. They're being almost as bad as a hippy.

14th of Hematite

Some migrants arrived, 8 of them. 4 are useless kids. Of course.
(I won't bother naming kids after people unless they want to be a kid.)

3rd of Galena

After I heard reports of issues with food and drink starting to happen, I ordered stairs for a tower location to a 'stand alone' section of the mountain near to farm-able land. We closed off the area to allow us to continue farming despite a siege happening, and to keep the hippies and other dark powers from getting in through the wrong area.

5th of Sandstone

Traders have arrived! Bless the Emperor! What, no wagons? What is going on here? Grrrrah. I'll figure it out later. Well, while I was waiting for people to haul some gems and mechanisms over to the trading depot, I decided to sketch what the main area of the fort for the moment looks like. Around the absurdly empty stockpile, in the little alcoves going clockwise, are a mason's, craftsdwarf's, still, and mechanium's. Above the depot is where the dining hall will be. Well, one of them.

(Can someone help me figure out why the hell caravans don't have wagons? Is it because the mountain cliffs are too steep? Seriously, the only placed they can go are right in front of my fort and even that doesn't happen all the way, and through all the three-wide-halls in my fort.
)

I don't remember when I drew this sketch. Sometime in late autumn

Here's a sketch of what the main section of our fortress looks like. The dining hall has become dual purpose for the moment, being a dormitory as well, a kitchen has been added to the workshops around the stockpile, the drawbridge has been linked to a lever near the dining hall, and I've set our resident 'Headmistress' to be useful and start smoothing the dining hall. We're still having hauling issues so all the bolts, crossbow, and quivers and things are laying out around where the cart used to be. Armok and Emperor both; help me.

As winter came along, I had the minerium start carving out some places for a smelter and a metalsmith's forge for me. As well as some rooms for my offices as manager and bookkeeper up by the stairs for what will be one of the towers. I also have put The_Lord_Bastard to start training more with his ax. I'll make him some iron armor soon I think. He's got a nice, shiny iron ax, which I'll replace with one of better quality as I get better or if someone of a higher skill comes along. T_L_B stands at the entrance of the fort doing individual training drills at all times, guarding us against kolbolds should they try and sneak in. He'll be moved to be stationed below the fortress when we begin to breach the caverns. And I instead will take a few dwarves to start guarding the entrance while training. I need to get my skills back up after so long of not being sent out to fight.

1st of Granite

The first year has come to an end. Here's the stock of our situation so far.
The wealth of the first year
The citizens of the first year
The dead of the first year (hint, nothing yet)
------------------------------------------------------------
OOC: Anyone know how to have the rest of the little craps haul stuff? Add more wheelbarrows? Seriously. It's annoying the hell out of me. Unless there's harvesting to do, there's always about 4-5 dwarves working with the rest just lazing around in the dining hall and only one of the working dwarves hauling stuff. >:( Also, the one who's supposed to be our hunter isn't hunting despite us having a crossbow, bolts, and the hunting labor enabled on him.
Oh yeah, if the dates seem wonky it's because I didn't check the date before/just after I took the image so I don't know exactly when it happened. I'll need to do that...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:46:40 am by speciesunkn0wn »
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 11:37:25 am »

Dorf me, male please

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 11:58:51 am »

Dorf me, male please

You're in. Hope you don't mind your profession being 'MaleWithIdentityCrisis'?

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 09:35:24 am »

OOC: Sorry I haven't posted in nearly forever!!! I had finals, then got a bit distracted playing other games and catching up on youtube once school was out.

So sorry for a lack of quality in the pics, I was doing it late at night/missed taking an image of the initial pop up and stuff for some of the things, not to mention of the fort in general.

Also, I'm going to start putting the year into the dates...
------------------------------------------------
4th of Granite, Year 81

After taking a day of asking around for ideas of what the cause might be, one of the dwarves mentioned that wagons can't roll over large rocks. Turns out those were in the way of the entrance. I had them removed and now wagons can get into our fortress!

12th of Granite, Year 81

I have set the unoccupied minerrium dwarves to begin digging out stockpiles for rocks to clean up our halls and rooms and the blocks we will be needing to finalize some of the buildings, as well as make them even taller. We will have a tower reaching into the heavens as a beacon of Digperium Might. With rooms at the top to drop any captured hippies to see how big of a blood splatter they make at the bottom. Screw the showers of mist! We'll have showers of BLOOD.

26th of Granite, Year 81

Another wave of loyal subjects to the Digperium! The largest we have had so far. I imagine the traders have spread word of this impregnable fortress being created far and wide. They do look to be in awe, especially of the dining room...

18th of Felsite, Year 81

The rock storage has finished. Rocks are in the bottom, though I should probably put them in the top for latter expansion... And blocks are in the top.

11th of Hematite, Year 81

What I was told was correct indeed! A human caravan has arrived bringing wagons. At last! We shall mug them and load them down with many urists of mugs.

14th Hematite, Year 81

The human caravan must have brought the spirit of someone, Atis has started babbling about something soon after he saw them. We might have to trade for some of the things he needs. No one will go stark raving mad on my watch!! He's claimed a craftsdwarf workshop.

18th Hematite, Year 81

I've noticed that The_Lord_Bastard has begun to get rusty in his armor usage, so I've decided to have some dwarves set up a danger room! ...Why is this so hard? Damn. Perhaps I should have asked the designers of the one in the Holy Mountainhome for tips on how to do it.

21st of Hematite, Year 81

Atis has finished his artifact.

And used some of our precious wood in this region. Hmm. Perhaps if this count is dead, it was his spirit that possessed Atis. At least whoever caused it was kind enough to show our grand fortress being founded! And it's worth a pretty large number of urists too!

24th of Limestone, Year 81

I've got reports of trespassers on our lands, sneaking about like filthy goblins and foul hippies!

Vile necromancers and their Hippy magics! They won't get to see any of OUR corpses since they'll be one!
There's more of them?!

The ink is quite dark/thick from pressure and the page has holes in it along the letters DAMN TRAITOROUS HIPPY SCUM. YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR HERESY! The_Lord_Bastard will deal with you.

3rd of Limestone, Year 81

Of course they ran off. The little hippy sons and daughters of elves are too cowardly to face the might of the Digperium and get back some honor by their deaths. We need to get to magma soon, the only way to deal with the corpses of such beings is a holy cleansing by the blood of the earth.

For the lack of entries in the past month it's a result of nothing really interesting happening, and my forgetting to record the fact that we now have a mayor. He isn't really of any note aside from his mandates being things that help the fort such as leggings and bolts. We have begun to dig out a mason's tower with slots for mason workshops in the sides and more rock storage below with blocks below that. I will have the room of the first legendary mason in the fortress placed at the top. Ah yes, we've begun to carve out the main entrance and the start of the wall! I'm thinking three horizontal-urists thick will look good later on.

5th of Limestone, Year 81

Oh Dwarf's blood! One of our miners has fallen with a piece of dirt they were channeling out! I heard the crash from here and several dwarves have reported it was yourdoom9898 who fell and went unconscious. When I went out to check soon after, I saw she was up and digging again despite visible bruises forming. For that, she gets her own bedroom and will get the first, and largest for the legendary miners.

14th of Limestone, Year 81

The glorious caravans of the Digperium have arrived once more! I feel like our goods are only barely adequate for the Holy Mountainhome. Perhaps we should begin encrusting some of our mugs...

21st of Limestone, Year 81

I decided to take a look through the dining hall, looking over the engravings that make it so legendary and I spotted something on the wall.

Our resident 'Headmistress' seems to have let the title go to her head. Well, she's our only full time engraver. I wonder what I did to cause her to carve that...

Oh yes, I almost forgot! The minerrium has finished the start of the front entrance! It was finished before the caravan arrived on the 14th.

Speaking of Airith, I've set her to begin smoothing the front entrance. LokiReborn117 joins her every now and then and even has a few of his own engravings. Nowhere near as good as Airith's, but he's learning how to do a great many things.

A couple more waves of migrants came through. We're past 70 now. I've found more rangers to add to the first squad of our Digperium Guard. Once they've gotten more skill, I'll split them off into their own to train those that are currently useless in the fort. Once we have enough trained properly, or enough would-be-rangers for each month, I'll have them only get one month off of the year so some hunting happens.

2nd Moonstone

I've got reports once again of more necromancers!

Three again! And a Armok-And-Emperor Damned Traitorous Hippylover... The_Lord_Bastard will kill you at some point. If we can trap you, I'll make sure you and him are the first in any arena set up soon after.
After looking at the descriptions again, I believe these are the same three from before. They must be trying to look over our defenses...I'd best start on the Astartes Tower and give it some windows to shoot out of, as well as spot any undesirables known as undead or ambushes.

11th Opal, Year 81

Another mood! This time it will be a legendary fellow!

He's claimed a masons, that's good. We can use whatever comes out of it!

1st of Obsidian, Year 81

He's finished it. A hatch cover...Yes. We can very much use this as we work on the tower. Block off the top stair with it until we build up enough that climbing becomes dangerous. Not worth a whole lot, about 6000* urists. And it's the second artifact to feature the founding of our Glorious fortress of Goldenpaged! I should mention that many of the engravings in the Legendary Dining Hall also feature the founding of Goldenpaged.

16th of Obsidian, Year 81

Due to the increase of necromancer activity outside, I've decided that The_Lord_Bastard can no longer train alone. We will need Astartes of our own, so I've set him to begin training some of our peasants who have nothing else to do into champion axedwarves. He'll also get some help in armor usage. I don't understand why one of the added recruits is just wrestling however. There's many battleaxes. Soon I will give them a proper training hall with a glass roof as a part of their tower.

I myself will eventually get a silver warhammer with-which to train once again. As well as to train the next dwarves of the Foehammer Legion. But we will need someone with an appraisal skill for a broker, which I am the only one capable of doing that for some reason. Most unnerving, and it prevents me from the full time training I will need to do to get back into shape.

I almost forgot a most important thing! Our apothecary has been completed! During expedition mining for more iron, we stumbled across some damp stone. I had the dwarves go up a vertical-urist and dig out past that point to so it was on the floor below, then channel a well into the small aquifer after carving out a sizable room for the apothecary. Now we have a quick, easy access to water for the injured! Bomrek, a better engraver than Airith at a 6 in the profession, has the best diagnosing skill of all of us, that is to say, a novice. Our Fanatical Fort Cleric, CastrosCajones, will merely be putting our people back together. I need to give them, and those that help out in the apothecary later, rooms above it in a Tower of Healing. I'll also put stuff for the soapmaking in it as well.

1st of Granite, Year 82

Our stocks of wealth and where our citizens fall in on jobs.

We have a good many urists of wealth! And are thriving fairly well. But we will need to spend more on food than I would like, need to also get more seeds for the various other plants. Currently we're practically all surviving on plump helmets alone.

A list of current citizens

No notable deaths, so I deemed it not worth it to add those.
----------------------------------------------------
OOC: As you can see, LOTS of unclaimed people! And one more migration wave of 8 or more and we're ripe for sieges. I need to get a fairly good military set up. As well as some catacombs. But yes, I need to get the danger room going. If anyone can help that would be appreciated! As would telling me how to do DFHack's vein-miner hotkeys. Should I also start work on steel production?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 09:48:54 am »

Take the underscore out of imic, please.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 09:50:11 am »

Take the underscore out of imic, please.

Ok. o7

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 09:51:19 am »

Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 11:29:21 am »

Apparently, the Headmistress has a political agenda... Imic, you know we've succeeded when our avatars start acting like us :D. I'm sooo proud
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 12:12:10 pm »

Apparently, the Headmistress has a political agenda... Imic, you know we've succeeded when our avatars start acting like us :D. I'm sooo proud

I do need to go through and do a 'minisode' with the claimed dwarves' thoughts and things...Oh so many plans~! I'm gonna need to get about ten miners and set all of them to be warriors once they become legendary... I know at least one is already.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 01:21:06 pm »

Screw polotics. If i want my dwarf to start acting like me, then...
Enable architecture on imic.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 02:12:36 pm »

Screw polotics. If i want my dwarf to start acting like me, then...
Enable architecture on imic.

I'm pretty certain Imic has that active. If not, I'm needing to go into DT and activate it with EVERYONE because screw waiting for one when there's undead shuffling their way toward us and all the architects are hauling pig tail socks.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 02:22:44 pm »

Leave my socks alone *hiss*

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »

Leave my socks alone *hiss*

Fear not! There will be a great many socks soon! Hopefully. I may have to import clothing...and get our legendary mason to make a great many stone things to get encrusted then sold. :3 I also need to find gold for the golden thrones...

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 12:27:40 am »

1st of Granite, Year 83

Damn hippy magics! They've finally invaded us to try and remove our stronghold. This will be the first test of our fledgling military.

And more of them have come along!

I've ordered that we be locked down to see how long they will wait us out.

27th of Granite, Year 83

Turns out a long time, they've been chasing one of our pets for weeks after slaughtering the other pastured animals. I've told the masons to carve fortifications in the built walls of the highest level we have in order to get the Digperium Guard stationed up there to begin shooting at any undead that get too close.

21st of Slate, Year 83

The astartes in training and The_Lord_Bastard grow tired of waiting, I'll need to let them kill something soon. I'll open the drawbridge until one or two get close then tell it to be shut so we slowly whittle down their numbers by killing them in ones or twos.

Before the order can be given, one of the A-I-T has charged out to a goblin spearman, getting himself killed in the process because he wasn't fully armored and decided to go with his hands only. I remember ordering them to use axes, not wrestling! And I know we have a fair many axes.

22nd of Slate, Year 83

Now we wait until the two closest undead get in, the goblin spearman and a bowdwarf. The dwarf is a twisted, rotten mockery of the once proud creature. But he was also probably a traitorous hippy follower. No one is pulling the lever and the hoard is getting closer, I can hear arrows scraping along the walls and floor as the undead miss with their weapons. No injuries have been reported, miraculously.

Well, dwarf's blood. I spoke too soon.

Armok and Emperor Damn those children. We might lose the fort now because one of them PULLED THE LEVER.

(OOC: I noticed the bridge being open while the lever was on, so I thought it was out of sync and ordered it to be pulled twice. Turns out the first pull had closed the bridge then a kid went and did the second one which opened the door again.)

24th of Slate, Year 83

The lever has quickly been pulled once more, but not before a fair few undead have gotten into the fortress. DWARVES OF THE DIGPERIUM. TO ARMS!

(OOC: I believe a few undead had also been crushed by the bridge raising, but I'm not certain.)

A pen floats in the air above a page

2nd of Felsite, Year 83

I died during the undead rampage through the base...so many dead. About seven dwarves remain. I now can only watch as they get together for a last ditch attempt against six undead. If anyone reads this, know we have gone down fighting. I will try to influence someone to send out a party to drive off the undead and reclaim these sacred halls.

We may have lost this battle, but we shall win the war.
---------------------------------------
OOC: In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have been picky-choosy about who fights and who doesn't and just fill up all the spots with everyone once the undead got inside... I also should have added maaaany more to the astartes and Digperium Guard and had them train for a longer time as the undead just chased around that cavy boar for months. Well, time for a reclaim attempt later. And hopefully a much longer thing than just 2 years and not-even-past-spring.... Thank Armok the necromancers didn't follow the zombies in, then I would have had undead horses AND my dwarves rising up again.

I'm also going to wait for a working LNP for the latest update(s) before I try the reclaim.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 08:00:47 am »

Reclaimation, #1

Did I go out fighting?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4