Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quantum Fortress  (Read 2644 times)

tresure99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Quantum Fortress
« on: May 06, 2016, 05:56:54 pm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 06:05:38 pm »

The problem with quantum computing is that it requires problems be re-written specifically to the type of problem solving that quantum computers are capable of handling.  Keep in mind, Toady hasn't multi-threaded DF yet because that requires re-writing the code to take advantage of multi-threading.

Also, quantum computers, as far as I have read, are only actually advantageous in certain types of problem solving.  Granted, one of these happens to be something applicable to pathfinding, although again, the game would need a new pathfinding algorithm to do that, and simply switching DF to vector pathfinding would be more practical than requiring every DF player get some of the extremely limited access to a machine that requires being kept at near absolute zero at all times.

Quantum computing would also do nothing to actually increase the size of a fortress.  The actual hard limitations, aside from the 16x16 map size, would be the 2GB memory limitation.  Quantum computing at best might speed up some processes, but most players of "epic forts" are completely willing to play games at 0.25 FPS.  (I've had games like that, as well - you just pause, input commands for an hour, then leave the game running while you go to bed, go to work/school, talk on the forums, and/or play a console game while checking back in every day or so to see what's happened.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:14:47 pm »

in other words: quantum computing won't do shit for DF

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:03:38 pm »

>  The actual hard limitations, aside from the 16x16 map size, would be the 2GB memory limitation.

The quantum computer in question has five bits (not GB, or MB, or kB, or B,...)  ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 07:06:23 pm »

DF is almost surely getting a 64-bit version relatively soon anyway.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:34:20 pm »

DF is almost surely getting a 64-bit version relatively soon anyway.

Relatively soon, like the heat death.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:36:48 pm »

Or the version after next, which you would know if you were to actually pay any attention to current development whatsoever.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 11:29:36 pm »

Or the version after next, which you would know if you were to actually pay any attention to current development whatsoever.

Not paying attention is my speciality.  ;)
Thanks for filling me in then, I'm up to my ears in work and only hardly get the time to browse the forums.
I'm sorry my lack of attention annoyed you so grievously.  :-X
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
*gobbles menacingly*

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 11:54:23 pm »

It's only excessive pessimism in the face of overwhelming evidence that annoys me so much, and I see it a lot around here.

Also, I think I may have thought you were someone else? One of the perennial whiners who complain about the direction of DF while never having bothered to learn it in the first place. I rarely keep up with names in arguments so it becomes more of a generalized antipathy towards certain concepts or statements than grudges.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:59:10 pm by Putnam »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 12:31:23 am »

What if I wanted to put a c in a Æ, possibly with a lump of *?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 12:39:39 am »

1. pseudorandom's close enough, heh

2. that's an illustration specifically to show why the copenhagen interpretation is dumb

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 12:45:17 am »

It's only excessive pessimism in the face of overwhelming evidence that annoys me so much, and I see it a lot around here.

I got the impression that it was a long running in-joke to constantly whine.
What if I wanted to put a c in a Æ, possibly with a lump of *?

Hahaha
*gobbles menacingly*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 12:56:39 am »

2. that's an illustration specifically to show why the copenhagen interpretation is dumb
That's the one with the M on the ≈≈≈≈ of course.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 11:46:28 am »

A quantum dwarf walks into the dining room through two doors, forming a nice interference pattern.  :P

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 08:14:06 pm »

I set up reverse-choice erasers in my fortifications to randomize the velocity of my crossbow bolts, sometimes you get suicides from inverted vectors but normally you get a nice spread, and by using the trees to set up an interference pattern I was able to guarantee that a goblin would be there to observe their own death with p > 0.05!
Pages: [1] 2