Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those darn tree-climbing Yaks  (Read 1842 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Those darn tree-climbing Yaks
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:33:53 pm »

Merchant Yak up a tree - no other merchants on the map.  It's only two z-levels up so I'm probably just going to take my chances and cut down the tree.  Live or die doesn't seem like it will matter, since no one is around to lead it off the map.  Is this going to reflect poorly on my civ for trading? 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Those darn tree-climbing Yaks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 02:58:08 am »

The yak is a merchant itself, so it might actually leave the map on its own.
All losses are blamed on you, even if it's a merchant attacking a visitor and the merchant gets hit back. However, I think you need to cause systematic heavy damage for it to matter in practice.
And it definitely IS your fault in this case: you left a tree standing, thus allowing a critter to climb it... I would have cut down the tree as well in your situation.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 04:13:09 am »

And it definitely IS your fault in this case: you left a tree standing, thus allowing a critter to climb it... I would have cut down the tree as well in your situation.
I cut down all the trees in my fort. 6600+ logs. Not good for FPS. Still trying to get rid of them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:54:14 am »

I cut down all the trees in my fort. 6600+ logs. Not good for FPS. Still trying to get rid of them.
Which is the reason I embark in locations with only one or two tiles with trees on them... I also tend to pave most of the tree supporting part of the surface, which can get rid of quite a lot of logs in the process.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:29:55 am »

I remember when you only got 1 entire log *per tree*, y'all ought to be grateful ;)
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 03:51:41 pm »

Bring magma and its cleansing fire to the surface to take care of woodlands. Temporary lag for greater gains later.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 09:00:51 pm »

Which is the reason I embark in locations with only one or two tiles with trees on them... I also tend to pave most of the tree supporting part of the surface, which can get rid of quite a lot of logs in the process.
My entire embark is supposed to be sparse, but nobody bothered to inform the trees.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 04:29:46 am »

My entire embark is supposed to be sparse, but nobody bothered to inform the trees.
Which is why I embark in locations with only one or two tiles with trees on them...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 05:19:30 am »

Which is why I embark in locations with only one or two tiles with trees on them...
I wanted a river, though. Tough choices.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 07:46:47 am »

The reason trees don't care about what the density of an embark is supposed to be is that there are only seven things that keep them from growing (there might be something I've missed, though):
1. Physical abuse of saplings (trampling, dirt roads, etc.).
2. Unsuitable surface (surface clay [but not clay exposed via channeling], stone, pebbles, etc.
3. Lack of soil beneath for roots (surface trees only).
4. Lack of headroom (any cover at the level above the level they grow on, except bridges. They grow through bridges, but any tree part, including twigs blocks maturation). I suspect wind mills only block the area under center tile, but don't have any actual proof.
5. Biome not supporting trees.
6. Stockpiles (they'll block further maturation of what's underneath, but if you leave stockpiles for a number of years and then remove them suppressed saplings will immediately die or mature). It also seems stockpile suppression still causes you to suffer FPS degradation.
7. Deep fluids. I suspect a sapling that's managed to take root in shallow water can mature even if the water level is raised later, though. I'm not sure saplings can take root in shallow magma either.

The above means every area supporting trees will eventually reach the same end density regardless of initial density and totally disregarding the description of the biome (unless the ground restricts the locations supporting trees severely).