Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Zareth Mosos, The desert of tragedy  (Read 6575 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Zareth Mosos, The desert of tragedy
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »

Akroma's log 21th obsidian 1251

If knew that if i wanted to make my plan succed, I needed the most adventurous dwarves out there.

But where to find them ?

Thanks to Armok I knew just the exact right person to help me.

A woman called Zatam.
Rumors say she has a connection the the great Lord Ironblood, the greatest hero of dwarvenkind. Not even the fact that she has a thing for elves could sully her reputation, or lover the value of her marvelous stonecrafts.

By telling her it was the perfect opportunity to seek glory of her own, instead of living on Ironsblood's fame, she agreed immediatly, with an energy that seeks its own.

She led me deep into the slums of the mountainhomes, into a small tavern, filthy and known for it#s fierce brawls.

There she introduced me to the a group of various dwarves, that had long been waiting for an opportunity to leave the mountainhomes behind.

One introduced himself as Detritus, a dwarf of old age, with a beard that reached to his toes. He claimed that the rum he was drinking was made by him.
After trying it, I can say that he will be of good use for us.

Another one, appearantly a carpenter (and not a careful one, judged by the splinters in his hands) introduced himself as Imp.
His name made me cringe with the image of a dwarf with the same name, and a moloch of metal crushing his skull.
Nevertheless he is welcome to join me.

Suddenly I heared a window chatter, as one dwarf was throwen by another.
Zatam went to stop the brawlers, and introduced them as
Kira:

and a dawrf with the strange name Reign on your Parade...his parents must be peculiar !

Kira sneered at me, if I was supposed to be their leader. before I could answer Zatam threw a look at him that could ignite the rum on the tables. kira immediatly went silent. I don't think I wan't to know what has been going on between those two.

After meeting those 4, I turned to Zatam: "Didn't you say you know 5 dwarves who would like to come with me ?"

Zatam seemed reluctant to answer me, as the last of the 5 was rather...peculiar.
She led me to a backroom, where a Dwarf named Stoner

was purring water on some strangely coloured mushrooms. She had colourful beads woven into her beard, and her clothing was also of very colorful.

After explaining my plans to her, all she said was:"Dude...this is gonna be sweet"

I doubt it will.
But we will see...

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Akroma ]

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

It's even funnier 'cause "stoner" is a she.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Reign on your Parade:
<STRONG>It's even funnier 'cause "stoner" is a she.</STRONG>

female dwarves have beards too

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

man that is some piece of work,i really like how you set it up.

edit:though i see a spot you missed  

quote:
.into his beard,

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Flyingdwarf ]

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Flyingdwarf ]

I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

He said he. That's what made it funny.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »

I'd like to enter the que for a military dwarf or glassworker for the first migration, if possible.
Name: Chaos
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

If it's ok (and you live long enough) I'd like to be the baron when he shows up!

Please don't drown me if I make insane demands and have all your friends hammered.

lets hope you have a bit better luck this time!

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

I'll be the tax collector when you get him (i'm willing to wait a while).
Name: penguinofhonor

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 09:46:00 am »

Akroma's log 1st granite 1251

It took me quite a while to make an agreement with the caravan leader to let us go with him, and in the end it costed me half of my collection of toy anvils (even the rare one made of aluminium !) but we managed to get our own wagon which we loaded with lots of supplies, that were already gathered by my new group.

The first part of the travel was calm, maybe even boring, but at the same time astonishing, seing how much the world has changed.
After a few days of travel, we reached the outer parts of what was once a stinking lake.
There was no doubt this was the same place. The water might be gone, but nothing could ever wash away the blackness of this place.
Before our eyes were miles over miles of undead terrain, and I must admit, I was scared a bit. But there would still be 2 days of travel before we would reach our destination, so I tried to free my mind with sketching up our new quarters.

Instead of making them as practical as possible, I shall focus on the aestetic aspect of the fort.
This will one day become the capital of the whole dwarvenkind, so there is no point in "we can re-do it later"

The deeper we traveled into the desert, the stranger the terrain became.
At first there were the usual dunes, as every desert has them, but soon the sand became smooth.
Too smooth.
As shiver went down my spine, thinking that we could drown in this sand every second, I noticed eyes staring at me.
No, not eyes.
White stone.
Limestone boulders were lying around all over the place, bilding a huge contrast to the ink like sand. They stared at me like eyes.
This was when Detritus addressed me: "hey, is that stone moving ?"
He pointed at the horizon, and indeed, a white dot was moving along it.
The caravan leader turned to us:" These are the undead that roam this place. You better get used to this sigh quickly"
He ended with a cynical laughter that made me want to punch his face.

But that's in the past now.
A whole new time has come, for we have arrived.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 09:53:00 am »

Can I be the next hunter you get in immigration?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 09:57:00 am »

Research protokol Nr.1, Securitly level 0 - access to all

It seems that, as opposed to the totaly waterless area we are in, there are dragonflies.
The sample was dead as I retrieved it, struck down by a cat.
Needs further varification wether it was alive or undead before the cat killed it.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 10:05:00 am »

Akroma's log 3rd granite 1251

We have visitors. these undead camels, are different from the ones we saw from the caravan, as they still had flesh on their bones.
They moved slow, as if they were slowed down by it.

They move in a fairly large distance to our base, thus are harmless for now.
Nevertheless I will order the construction of walls and cage traps, as I seek to capture a few of them and make them my test subjects.

Judging by the state of decay they flesh is in, I am sure they haven't been dead for long. I have to find out what keeps them walking.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

Research protokol Nr.2, security level0- accees to all

The object of this research was a colony of ants that lived in the nearby vicinity.
To get to know wether they were undead or not, various samples were taken and an autopsie was taken.

Autopsie report of the ant-samples:
The chitin hull was indeed filled with flesh, however it was impossible to say if the flesh was in a further state of decay or freshly dead.
Further varification impossible with means at hand.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

Akroma's log 8th granite 1251

We finished digging out the workshop area, and are now starting to move our stocks inside.

Reign on your parade set up a farming plot, but I don't know if I really want to eat what grows in this cursed sand.
The darkness of the cave is driving me mad. I have seen halls deep inside the mountains, with not the tiniest bit of light, but none were as dark as this hall is. There are no shadow running around the walls, the walls ARE the shadows.

I shall make this another point on my research list, what this sand is composed of, but as of now I am unable to conduct any research on it, I am lacking the right tools.

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »

Great story!  :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5