Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reclaim mode - no trees, no water?  (Read 1219 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
reclaim mode - no trees, no water?
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:15:37 am »

On every reclaim so far, i had zero trees, even when the biome stated it a jungle or forest.
also even when the map showed a stream or brook, only in one case of ten, there was actually a river at the surface in the embark.
did the previous dorfs just fill up the riverbed to "kill" the river and chopped down all the trees and burnt all the saplings?
maybe just because they heard the elves talk about how they liked to bath in the river and how much they loved trees?
is this a bug or a feature?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: reclaim mode - no trees, no water?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:02:15 pm »

I think it's because the world generated Fortress sites go over the site map. Like the world generates the fortress and part of that code tells it to always rid the site of water and trees

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:09:32 pm »

i'm just curious, because nothing about it was written in the wiki and so far it was on every reclaim-site.
maybe it's not intended and just nobody ever thought it could be a bug and so noone reported it yet 8)
it could be a completely reasonable feature too. :D

btw: legendsviewer is very useful when deciding which place to reclaim -> i found some places with leftover civilians being killed by trolls or FBs and one can easily decide if that's what one wants when you know more than just "got destroyed by FB".
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:38:25 pm »

I can't prove it but I think at one time during worldgen I witnessed forest tiles near dwarfhomes disappearing, as if the dwarves were clearcutting.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:24:59 pm »

quite possible that they clear the forests. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
so the other question would be the rivers/brooks which seem to be underground in the first or second cave layer instead on the surface.
so far it hasn't been a problem to tap those and have fresh and safe water - except for those cavecrocs.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 11:49:34 pm »

As far as trees go, I think they cut them all down. If you stick around on the reclaim for a few years, trees do start growing. You just don't typically get many, or any, at embark. On my most recent reclaim, I had maybe 5-6 trees in one corner of the map, but over the course of 6 years ingame, I had several start growing all across the surface.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 03:50:03 pm »

very soon, i think first summer after embark, the place is always overgrown with saplings. even the dry biomes do that.