Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Struggling with Gender Identity???  (Read 8081 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with Gender Identity???
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2016, 08:56:34 pm »

Oh good grief, this is not the thread for debating what the thing is.

Stop.

Seriously.

Go make a thread in GD or something.  Not here.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:24 pm »

Not really helpful in terms of helping you understand your gender identity, but these two documentaries stick out to me:

20/20
I saw this 20/20 on transgender children about 10 years ago. I don't remember much (I was 10 or 9 when I saw it), but I do remember this part at 6:39 for some reason. I only rewatched up to 9:30, but I think was interesting.
Spoiler: ramblings (click to show/hide)

Growing Up Trans
Pretty cool.

Stop.

Seriously.

Eh. I wouldn't recommend making another thread. They're tricky stuff.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2016, 09:49:15 pm »

I'm happy to make a thread if people want. We've handled the discussion here pretty well so far and I think it's a good topic to talk about.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2016, 09:51:06 pm »

It definitely shouldn't go here.  So yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 11:10:11 pm »

Hey, know there's a lot of stuff in here--just wanna echo some things stated at the beginnings: Make sure that a.) gender reassignment/hormonal therapy is what you want and b.) that you really can't stand it otherwise. Not only is it well... A big change, keep in mind surgery and/or drastic changes to your body are life-changing, rather permanent, and potentially damaging options.

BUT! Of course, go with whatever feels right--just be careful--best of luck to you and I wish you well!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:35 pm »

Stop.

Seriously.

Yeah, I just wanted advice on my situation, and not to cause a debate.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2016, 11:45:49 pm »

Oh geez, this thread has gotten into a pretty big debate about "What is Gender Identity/Transgenderism?".

I really don't know anything about the answer to that, because I don't know if there is some certain things that can be applied, cause everyone's situations different. I know basically nothing though, so yeah. Don't take my word for it.
Or rather giving anecdotal advice rather than delve into research and study. >_> There's a lot of people remarking on that bit because of how their environments are, and what events are happening thereby.

Back on the thread: It's not a mental illness, and attributing the idea in any parallel to mental illness is really not going to get you anywhere. As a student of Psychology, it's pretty blatantly put down that it was not, and should not have ever been classified as a mental illness in the first place; such is defined by being the precursor to the problems that a person has, whereas even being trans does not equate the cause of being mentally ill.

Edit: Yay, thanks Reelya.

I'm happy to make a thread if people want. We've handled the discussion here pretty well so far and I think it's a good topic to talk about.
It's a good topic to rather delve into educatation of oneself on, rather than 'talk about' or debate, because it's something already studied and proven. Being trans is distinctly different from being mentally ill.

I'm stressed because people keep bringing up--or at least seem to be bringing up mental illness and its probable relatedness to being transgender when this has been noted down by accommodating perspectives of inquery and scientific insight to deny that is has ever been a mental illness in the first place. Or on other issues such as 'trans regret' while not giving full details as to the cases they bring forth. >_> Misinformation starts with lacking information, and people's emotions and feelings are also contributors to how they may perceive information here.
I think you left it by the door with those snarky comments back there. This is supposedly Life Advice, rather than type and post side commentary. :-\
Sadly, I am of the opinion that other people are giving bad advice.
I hope you work on yours before you comment on others and redirect focus onto them in general, because it has been lacking in that one post there. There's a lot of attribution that you use which isn't necessarily direct, and more 'what if this is tied to {y}'; it's unhelpful as advice. You've an opinion about others--you also have an opinion about your own.

No people, please educate yourselves.

Read and understand this:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0083947

It's literally already in the thread. Transgendered individuals actualy have a brain structure closer to that of the gender they identify with.
A mental illness is a condition that impacts a persons mood/feelings/behavior. For transgendered individuals, there is nothing impacting thier brain, that's just the way thier brain is!.
PLEASE do note the conclusion and subsequent recommendation inasmuch as you would put note to the methodology--while that may be true, the idea that 'it may not even be about their brain structure' gives no harm, as it is as if it is merely a biological or neurological condition (which it is not).

A disorder is particularly defined as a state by which a present, underlying characteristic causes problems or hinders one's daily living significantly and impactfully--there's a reason that being transgender is not classified as a disorder because of the predominant effect of socio-cultural norms also playing a key role into how one is being affected; one may not be bothered because they are who they are, with the difference being in external perceptions.

people with strong opinions on the topic like helmacon and Orange Wizard are common.
I certainly hope not. It'd suck to be around arseholes like me all the time.
Work with others instead of snarking with them. It'll help you a lot. Especially how you deliver information.

How can you tell someone that who they fundamentally are is wrong?
Um. A man is not a woman. They're different things. What you are is determined by what you are, not what you think you are. A person who thinks they're a cat is wrong because they're a person, not a cat.
Like this. This follows an example argument placed down by people who are not that distinctly educated in handling ideas of being transgender--issuing a definitive without detail towards that definitive as if it is assumed to already be held as what is.
If you merely think 'being transgender is a mode of thought' or a subsequent branch of philosophy, you have a lot of research to educate yourself on. This is an example of black and white thinking. It does not put into consideration the many factors why you're saying such.

Spoiler: ramblings (click to show/hide)
Put note down on may be. It's a good thing to re-inquire about with your instructors present there, pertaining to hormonal changes and one's sexuality.

Hey, know there's a lot of stuff in here--just wanna echo some things stated at the beginnings: Make sure that a.) gender reassignment/hormonal therapy is what you want and b.) that you really can't stand it otherwise. Not only is it well... A big change, keep in mind surgery and/or drastic changes to your body are life-changing, rather permanent, and potentially damaging options.
Also keep in mind that there's a system created to aid anyone who is actually deciding to do such. :P If one is undecided or uncertain--consultation with the right professional will help a lot.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:59:05 pm by Tiruin »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2016, 12:16:16 am »

~snippity snappity snoo~
Thanks Tiruin :D. You always know what to say. But yeah, I think I'll just keep going how I'm going, and talk to some psychologists, which may or may not lead on to HRT. I'll keep doing research, occasionally, but yeah.

Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2016, 01:29:53 am »

It's a good topic to rather delve into educatation of oneself on, rather than 'talk about' or debate, because it's something already studied and proven.
I have... literally never seen anyone say that it's not good to talk about a thing, because it has already been studied. Congratulations, I guess?

I hope you work on yours before you comment on others and redirect focus onto them in general, because it has been lacking in that one post there.
My advice is essentially "be extremely cautious", because I don't think others were emphasising it nearly enough. If that's unhelpful then vov.

you have a lot of research to educate yourself on
I won't deny that you probably know more about the topic than I do, but that doesn't mean I'm completely uninformed.
That transgenderism is dangerous is a conclusion I have drawn from the information I have seen. Telling me that I'm wrong, giving vague and occasionally irrelevant explanations as to why, and then saying I need to educate myself is... not helpful in the slightest.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2016, 01:35:05 am »

It's a good topic to rather delve into educatation of oneself on, rather than 'talk about' or debate, because it's something already studied and proven.
I have... literally never seen anyone say that it's not good to talk about a thing, because it has already been studied. Congratulations, I guess?
eep ._. I think it was the tone talking. What I meant was that it's a good topic to talk about--but the 'rather than' pertained to the information that was already well-studied and already acting as a foundation of what we know today :O
Sorry if it was written that way x_x [Finals stress talking here]

you have a lot of research to educate yourself on
I won't deny that you probably know more about the topic than I do, but that doesn't mean I'm completely uninformed.
That transgenderism is dangerous is a conclusion I have drawn from the information I have seen. Telling me that I'm wrong, giving vague and occasionally irrelevant explanations as to why, and then saying I need to educate myself is... not helpful in the slightest.
Stress talking again--but that particular statement was to your statement of a binary configuration, that x is x "no matter what you think". It is not inherently even...dangerous in the first place, and me saying or giving a suggestion of education was not meant to prompt anything condescending, but me mentioning personal pursuit of knowledge--because by labeling it as a danger inasmuch as it is an inherent 'state of being' doesn't align very well at all to informed advice (which is the purpose of this thread :O).

It's also me rather pointing back on the foundation of your statement there. :-\ It's an enclosed way of thinking about things while giving rigid differentiation to 'what you are' and 'what you think you are'; rather than state things in that manner, forward advice that is constructive or that would invoke progressive thinking, than assumptive association of conclusions (by how general it was worded).

Comparing someone who is transgender to thinking you are a cat implies... very different levels of approaching the idea.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:40:27 am by Tiruin »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2016, 03:17:20 am »

What I meant was that it's a good topic to talk about--but the 'rather than' pertained to the information that was already well-studied and already acting as a foundation of what we know today :O
You mean about debating the studied information itself? Okay, that's fair. Not really what I was thinking of for a potential discussion thread, in any case.

that particular statement was to your statement of a binary configuration ... It's an enclosed way of thinking

Comparing someone who is transgender to thinking you are a cat implies... very different levels of approaching the idea.
Eh, that's fair, I guess. I try to be as objective as possible. We are coming from very different perspectives.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2016, 05:12:31 am »

transgenderism

antidistransgenderitarianism

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2016, 07:27:18 am »

...Guys.

This is still not the thread for this.

We should be trying to help DigitalDemon, not debating.

As much as I think there should be some sort of discussion on the subject somewhere, here is not the place for it.

Especially since it's starting to attract shitposts.
Sigtext

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2016, 12:41:28 pm »

We should be trying to help DigitalDemon, not debating.
TBH everything everyone wanted to say has already been said.

I and Orange advise caution and making sure that's exactly what DD wants because once you operate there's no going back while people who transitioned or are transitioning shared their own experiences.

The only heated debate was whether TG is a mental ailment or not but even those in who say yes harbor no ill will towards DigitalDemon.
For all i care mental issues are far more common than people would like to believe and no one wants to be associated with one no matter how harmless it might be.
Anyway for all i care that discussion has ended. People believe what they want and probably didn't change their opinions.
I'm just sorry mine likely pissed people off.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:43:35 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2016, 01:34:11 pm »

If people are going to start acting like transphobic jerks here and claiming being transgendered is a mental illness, I'd like to note that psychology as a whole does not consider being transgendered a mental illness, but does consider gender dysphoria one. Also, I get the feeling a lot of people here seem to consider mental illness a reason to take people less seriously, which is just...stupid. Sorry, but I can't think of a better way to put it.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5