Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Diamondlucid: A Succession Game  (Read 8519 times)

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diamondlucid: A Succession Game
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2007, 02:36:00 am »

26th Obsidian:

When I awoke this morning, it was to find my quarters barred from the outside.

I pounded on the doors for hours until my voice was hoarse to little response.

Finally, a voice I did not recognize. I was...

I was being deposed as ruler. They were locking me in until I starved to death, or abdicated my position.

Madness! They would not... Would they?

29th obsidian:

I grow thirstier and thirstier, and my hunger does not abate. I had a small flask of water on my person, but beyond that I have no sustinence.

1st granite:

I finally had to admit defeat. I was led out, stripped of the small stone that has no value other than signifying our leader, and returned to my position as a mere miner.

When I asked why, they merely said I was intruding into things I didn't understand.

And that I was insane.

Insane? INSANE?

...Oh, someday, I'll show them. I'll show them ALL!

[end of journal]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2007, 02:54:00 am »

DFMA:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1071-diamondlucid

File download:

It's 4 AM and I'm tired, and I don't want to figure out how upload sites work right now.

I'll do it tomorrow.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2007, 09:57:00 am »

That was an excellent set of updates, Arkan15.  I liked the way you kept the main character consistent, but also had him change - descending further and further into megalomania.  The series of entries describing growing dissatisfaction and eventual ousting also worked well.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

Nice twist! Very good character, too. Imagine...settling the very mountain the demon was imprisoned in, what are the odds?  :)

I'm looking forward to the next installment. What will those dwarves do with Thimet. Novocain is up now, right?

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

I have to say, the best part of doing this was writing the "Thimeth is obsessed with demons" storyline and then... having the jewelcrafter make a perfect gem with an image of a DEMON on it.

I laughed hard when that happened. It was like "Oh my god, my copy of DF is PSYCHIC!"

Gonna go figure out how to upload this to a website now.

EDIT: And here it is.
http://rapidshare.com/files/58923729/savegamediamondlucid.rar.html

[ September 28, 2007: Message edited by: Arkan15 ]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

Novocain, you going? If not I'll start.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2007, 10:34:00 pm »

...Grek, I think you should go now.
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2007, 08:14:00 am »

Arkan15 is leader until Novocain or Grek takes over.  Arkan15, you're responsible for 1) deciding how long to wait for someone, and 2) making sure he starts.  If you think you've waited long enough for Novocain, then that's official.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

I can go ahead and take my turn, if Grek doesn't start in the next day or so.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »

Downloading now.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

You'll have to skip me. I'm violently ill.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

That means Turgid Bolk is next.

You may fire when ready.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

Yessir, I will start tonight! Expect an update by the morrow.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:00 am »

Journal of Tobul Ottantun, Jeweler

Granite (Early Spring)
It seems our zealous Thimeth has finally been retired as leader. I am just a simple jeweler, but the people respect me for my art. I was inspired by the Demon to create Nazush Arkim, my engraved chrysoberyl, and so to them it seemed natural for them to elect me as their leader. I promised I would do my best, for Diamondlucid!

I'm not too excited, however, as the political situation seems pretty unstable. I'm a simple jeweler, but I'm not stupid. I'll have to watch my step. Still, I'll enjoy the perks of the job while it lasts.

The first thing I did was straighten out who was doing what. I made sure everybody was clear on what their role was, and informed everyone that nobody would be working near the magma any longer. Everyone was glad to hear this, as the scrabbling and whiperings had people pretty spooked. I'm glad I could start off with a popular decision. The bed shortage has been ignored lately, too, so I started looking at how to fix it...

Oh great, now the cave river has overflowed into the hallway. Who forgot to close the doors? Oh well, no one has time to clean it up. We'll just ignore it.

Well, the yearly elf caravan arrived, and it was an absolute diplomatic disaster. I don't have much experience with elves, so I was a little surprised when all they had to trade was a few plants. Well, I figured we could use 'em to brew, so I offered a few of our crafts. Who knew elves don't like kitten bone rings? They were completely offended! They even refused our silk things! I maintain that harvesting silk in no way harms the wee spiders...bah! Who needs those beardless folk anyway. They left without a single trade.

No doubt I'll have more success with the humans.

Slate (Mid Spring)
Oh no...
I have long thought the food processing in this fortress could use some re-working. This was my chance to polish it up, so I drew up some plans for a food storage room right next to the dining room.

I handed the sketch to a miner and had him go at it. Of course, I didn't realize til afterwards that the miner was Thimeth, and he purposely didn't warn me that the wall had one of Mistem's masterpieces on it. He happily smashed the engraving to bits, and obviously when Mistem found out he was devastated.

He flew into a rage and killed poor Dastot! It took several dwarves to restrain him 'til the sheriff could arrive...this is awful. He had to be locked up until he calms down. I can't believe this is happening. And of course, I got the blame for everything. I'll have to be more careful in the future, and think of some way to regain the favor of the people. I might not be as lucky as Thimeth if they decide to remove me from power...and they nearly left him to the skeletal jaguars.

To make things worse, the Queen has appointed a Mayor to our settlement. Onul Voiletpaint. She seems to look down on my leadership, and our self-government in general. However, she agreed to let me lead for the remainder of the year, as long as she is given accomodations that are up to her standards, and any items she requests.

I ordered work on her quarters immediately. At least she brought a Broker with her, so there won't be any more "mishaps" with traders. And the extra workers are welcome, even if we don't quite have a bed for each of them. This brings the population to 80.

Felsite (Late Spring)
Haha! Good news! I have come up with a plan to regain my reputation. I spent a couple days locked away, and in a fit of inspiration drew up plans for a grand catacombs:

and

That's right! A tomb for every dwarf and dwarf-child! What's more, they're near the Demon, and any dwarf would be proud to buried in such a special place, a place of legend. The people seemed quite excited at my idea. Of course, nobody wants to get close enough to dig it out, but here's the master stroke of my plan...I've assigned Thimeth to dig the tombs! Now I've got my revenge, and my reputation back on top of it. Things are looking bright once again.

Now, the farmers seem to be underproducing. I'll have to go see what's wrong at the farms...anyway, I think I'm getting the hang of being in charge.

(OOC, I haven't actually played through all of Felsite, but I'm sleepy so I'll call it finished for the story. I think poor Mistem will never get over his artwork, he's still tantruming. Oh, and any advice or commentary is appreciated. Tomorrow: summer.)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2007, 06:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>Granite (Early Spring)Oh great, now the cave river has overflowed into the hallway. Who forgot to close the doors? Oh well, no one has time to clean it up. We'll just ignore it.</STRONG>
Smooth the floor.  As for the flood itself, I suspect that my original design may be missing something.  Like a second set of doors.  Something like this might work:

code:

====
~++.
~0S.
~++.
~0S.
~++.
====

"." - floor, "~" bridge, "+" - door, "0", "=" - walls, "S" statue.

quote:
<STRONG>Well, the yearly elf caravan arrived, and it was an absolute diplomatic disaster. I don't have much experience with elves, so I was a little surprised when all they had to trade was a few plants. Well, I figured we could use 'em to brew, so I offered a few of our crafts. Who knew elves don't like kitten bone rings? They were completely offended! They even refused our silk things! I maintain that harvesting silk in no way harms the wee spiders...bah! Who needs those beardless folk anyway. They left without a single trade.</STRONG>
I hate it when I accidentally offer to trade them something organic and they leave.  I like being friendly with the elves and really wish the interface would help a little more here.  Perhaps we should be grateful that the elves don't go on a crusade to save the cave spiders from us...

I really like the catatomb tombs!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6