Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Diamondlucid: A Succession Game  (Read 8521 times)

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diamondlucid: A Succession Game
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »

Two questions:

How do I change a dwarf's name,

and

Where do I put the file after it's downloaded?

Sorry, I haven't done this before. >_>

EDIT: Found out how to download it. Beginning.

[ September 26, 2007: Message edited by: Arkan15 ]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

The journal of Thimeth Irumpobe, 1st Granite, 1060 Spring.

The previous leader was found incompetent and stepped down before a tribunal could remove her. An election was held. I was elected.

It of course helped that I rigged the election.

It was most unfortunate. The year before last, when our first leader stepped down, I tried to fix the election then. This fortress needs a leader with VISION! True vision, not this foolish meddling with farms and chasms, but one who can lead us with strength! Only I have such vision!

Alas, though, I did not carry out the procedure correctly, and another became leader. A decent enough leader... but she lacked soul! She lacked VISION!

This, I shall bring to Diamondlucid. This I swear.

When the news came that I was now leader of the fortress, I was digging out a path along the cave river, along with a lesser, more incompetent miner; as per the previous leader's orders.

Pah! Such things can wait. We require strength now.

Now, I shall begin carving out a seige workshop, where my masterpiece can be constructed.

As I was overviewing the list of residents of this fort, I was informed one of our recruits had vanished.

Hmm. If I find her, she shall be executed swiftly... unless she brings something back of value, of course.

5th granite

Mining has begun to build the bunkers which shall hold the Ballistae, with extra room so our brave marksdwarves can rain steel bolts of death upon our foes; may they be legion so our strength is tested!

As I ran to begin mining them out, though, I ran into the dwarf who derelicted from the military! She was hauling a log and muttering constantly. As I turned to confront her, though, she vanished. I shall investigate later.

Still no sign of the deserter.

The farmers were complaining they couldn't find any of our plump helmet spawn. After exploring the fortress, I looked behind a securely locked door with a sign labeled "DO NOT ENTER"... And there they were.

Sometimes, I wonder if I am the only dwarf with a brain around here.

The recruit was found hidden in a craftsdwarf's workshop. She responds with force if anyone tries to remove him, and does not speak. She only leaves pictures of forests and gems strewn around.

I shall station the other recruits nearby. If she does not leave soon, we shall execute her for treason.

I had our jeweler cutting gems today. I thought it would be fitting that our first ballista's test shot would be with a gem-tipped bolt, to signify our fortress entering a shining age.

Suddenly, the mad dwarf lept from her hiding spot and seized the gem practically the second it was finished!

Perhaps I shall move up her execution...

Another gem was cut. Again, it was stolen!

This state of affairs begins to irritate me. To lighten my mood, I oversee the beginning of the construction of the Seige Workshop.

I gave the order for the execution, but the troops reported that the dwarf had changed. Rather than sulking and occasionally pilfering materials from more valuable tasks, she now works feverishly on a strange project. Perhaps something valuable can be gained from this after all.

I am astounded.

The dwarf in question seems to have come from the experience with a great deal of woodcrafting experinece, along with this amazing trinket. Pah! Woodcrafting? Unless it is involved in the crafting of bows or ballistae, I have no need for it.

Far more valuable is that this "Zasit", in constructing this amulet and hauling the component needed, has become much stronger and faster.

I forsee her promotion to a squad leader and a new set of chainmail in her future.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

That's all for tonight, folks. Tomorrow the adventures of the Megalomaniacal Jackass Dwarf™ continue.
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 01:38:00 am »

I like the story so far. I have my doubts that I'll get to play (since the new release seems so close), but Fedor's entries alone made this game worth it. How goes the road building, Arkan? What of fair Ebe? Don't tell me you haven't noticed her affection towards you, Mr. Wavedwheel.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 02:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>I like the story so far. I have my doubts that I'll get to play (since the new release seems so close), but Fedor's entries alone made this game worth it. How goes the road building, Arkan? What of fair Ebe? Don't tell me you haven't noticed her affection towards you, Mr. Wavedwheel.</STRONG>

The road is (basically) done, though there's a small gap inside the fortress where a carpenter's workshop was. I deconstructed it and am waiting for my lazy workers to smooth it, which will make the road "complete".

And affection? *Dwarf voice* Pah! I need no such weak attachments to inferior dwarven minds which lack VISION! I merely need subordinates with crossbows, who I shall send unto the goblins and send them screaming unto our god Armok! BWAHAHAHAHA!

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 04:07:00 am »

This is all going very well!  

Arkan15, you might give some thought to having Zasit churn out "miniature ballista rounds" (also known an "bolts") out of wood before putting her in harm's way.  What she'll turn out will be equally useful for practice and hunting, as they will do nearly as much damage as the (iron bolts) that arrive with immigrants.

Also try her on a wooden shield...

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2007, 04:51:00 am »

I did not see any updated listings of future leaders, so, I took a little liberty and updated it from what I could tell. If we go beyond 6th, I wanted seventh and I am not sure if Pitchblack wants 8th after that. But, just what I gathered from the thread\first leader's list.

1st year: RETIRED - Fedor
2nd year: RETIRED - Adalor
3rd year: Arkan15
4th year: Novocain, with Grek as sub
5th year: Turgid Bolk
6th year: Grek, with Markham as sub
?????????????
7th year: Tarrasque
8th year: ?Pitchblack?
?????????????

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

8th year is a bit to far down the timeline for me, ill have to catch a different succesion game as i prefer to play in the 3rd -6th year, as there is less micromanaging to do and alot less worry from invasions or nasty things coming from the chasm to eat me.

That and i realy dont want to wait that long.

[ September 26, 2007: Message edited by: Pitchblack ]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

:mad:

Armok has given us an ill omen!  A thing made of wood, a thing of the cursed outside, with spikes and images of a dwarf speaking to eachother as equals, as proper dwarfs do. The new ruler refused the drink of office. This will bring doom upon our heads.

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2007, 09:40:00 am »

Aye, We are screwed.
(Yay minor RP'ing)
I haves my own gallery matey!
www.adalore.deviantart.com
Not quite dwarfy enough yet.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

12th slate

I hear minor grumblings from lesser dwarfs that I have forsaken some tradition or another and that Armok has forsaken us. PAH! I laugh at them. I need no foolish superstitions to lead!

Along the river to the south is a waterfall that falls deeper into the mountain. The flood earlier this year very nearly swept another dwarf into the crushing depths. As such, I have begun constructing a series of bridges across the river at this point as a safety measure.

13th slate

Migrants have arrived... But with them...

Nobles? That is what they call themselves, and what a ridiculous name it is! I spit at them. Ptui! They know nothing of real nobility!

At the very least, the increased numbers will help us complete our glorious task faster.

And in addition, they brought several experienced military fighters with them! Glorious! Truly we have been blessed by Armok.

They also bought several trappers. Hah! If they tried to trap an animal in this fearsome land, it would probably eat them. Their crossbows can be put to better use for defense.

21st slate

At last, the seige workshop has been completed! I order the construction of enough parts for two ballistae, plus enough for one catapult. Catapults are crud engines and lack the elegance of a ballista, but they shall suffice to train our seige operators.

The "nobles" grumble that they require special accomidations. If it were my decision, their accomodations would consist of being thrown into the chasm!... But I do not wish to draw the ire of the dwarven Nation as a whole...

...Not yet, anyway.

Construction begins on habitation for these so-called 'nobles'.

9th felsite

At last! Armok, smile upon us this day so we may destroy our foes in glorious battle!

...Or... not. Hmmph.

10th felsite

By the gods! It seems the first antman was merely a sacrifice to disarm our cunning traps!

Rouse the fighters! May our enemies be crushed before us!

We crush this wave, but each time we do so more Antmen emerge from the chasm. It seems we are under seige from within by these mindless insects.

11th felsite

The 'seige' is ended. Six of the beasts emerged; one lies in a cage, hissing, caught by our trap. Two we broke upon the bridge; the other four were cast back down to the depths, their carapaces shattering at the end of the fall.

Glorious!

11th hematite

Damn! Exactly as I thought, one of the Fisherdwarfs was swept down the waterfall and crushed by the force of the water.

I shall find the masons who have failed for so long to construct those bridges and punish them accordingly.

[ September 27, 2007: Message edited by: Arkan15 ]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

14th Hematite

KILL THE THIEF!

He is dispatched handily.

And with perfect timing, as well.

We trade the humans all of our worthless, cracked mugs in return for two of their bins of leather and all of their food, fruit, and ale.

It's like taking candy from a Kobold.

22nd malachite

Yes... It's all coming together at last.

23rd Malachite

What the-?!

Get back to work, you slacker!

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2007, 10:29:00 pm »

18th Galena

I don't care how many babies you've had! Return to your post, soldier!

25th Galena

I believe I have found a use for the antman we caught earlier.

Troops! On my mark, open fire!

...What do you mean you need a lever to open the cage? Just shoot through the bars!... Fine, I'll build a lever.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2007, 10:52:00 pm »

27th Galena

Sometimes, I wonder if all this effort is even worth it. Maybe I should just-

I wonder if this is what love feels like?

7th limestone

A dwarf was reported walking quickly past others muttering to himself. This seems familiar somehow.

The dwarf then claimed our only glass furnace and demanded... Glass. Wonderful. How are we supposed to fill your demand when you have the only means of production?

I station my military dwarfs nearby. Clearly he is insane, and shall be executed in due course.

12th limestone

I- I-... Oooh...

... Excuse me, I need to change my Mule Leather Robe.

22nd sandstone

As I suspected.

The madman ran around for a while screaming "Giant elephants! Giant elephants! They come for us in the night!", then ran outside, stripped naked, and then fell asleep in the trash heap outside. How odd.

24th Timber

One of the dwarves came to me complaining that the water from the river outside had suddenly grown foul.

I investigated, and discovered the cause: Upstread was the bloated corpse of the mad Dwarf from last month, who apparently had drowned himself.

A pity. We can no longer drink from the river. Still, there are always more dwarves to take his place.

26th Timber

Winter comes soon.

I am beginning to hear complaints that I am ruling improperly- to quote the lesser dwarves, "A bastard". Hmmph! As if they know the problems I face daily!

28th timber

I had some of my fellow miners mining up the Magma stream, looking for more Iron.

They reported hearing strange noises- clawing, scrabbling, from across the stream, as though something was imprisoned across it- and is trying to get out...

I deny these rumors. There are certainly ancient stories of a mountain much like this which imprisons a demon beyond a wall of metal it cannot bear to touch, awaiting the day a foolish mortal mines it from greed and releases it to destroy the world- but it is merely a foolish superstition! I am tempted to cross the magma now and show how foolish they are, but... I cannot, as we do not have the proper materials to bridge it.

Perhaps this is a mission to accomplish in the years to come.

3rd moonstone

Now stories run rampant throughout the fortress that we've built over the prison of an ancient demon. They say that we're safe- as long as we stay on this side of the magma.

Pah!

Armok would not keep great gifts from his servants. We shall bridge it next year and mine the riches there.

Every time I hear a story about how demons are imprisoned there, I become more furious! Mad, the lot of them!

8th moonstone

In order to take the servant's minds off of these ridiculous stories of "demons", I have begun construction of a grand park in the middle of the fortress. It shall be wholly engraved and in the center, a statue made of platinum.

As I watched the engraver engrave masterpiece after masterpiece, I was amazed at the skill displayed by one dwarf...

...but I realized then that many of the engravings were portrayals of demons as described in the ancient legends!

In my anger, I struck him and stormed from the hall.

[ September 28, 2007: Message edited by: Arkan15 ]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2007, 01:10:00 am »

14th moonstone

I have become increasingly frustrated with these 'demon' stories. I went north to the dig site  that the other miners now refused to go near and took out my frustration upon the rock.

It is true. I did hear noises. Those noises could be mistaken as... claws, scraping against the inside of stone; the knocking of cold fists against prison walls, and the like. And it is true that while the side of the flow I was on was wholly silent... the noise only came from the other side.

But I remained steadfast, hewing at the rock. Such noises were natural phenomenon. It is known to every dwarf that rock expands when heated, so obviously the rock was heating and cracking apart slowly. The noise was not present on our side of the flow because it had a vent through our fortress.

...Then, I began to hear voices. I could not understand them at first, but then...

I lost my courage once I could understand them and fled from the mines. I am ashamed of myself now. Clearly my imagination got the better of me.

Nor has this weakened my resolve. Instead, it has strengthened it! We MUST see what is across the magma!

2nd opal

Today the platinum statue was finished, so I was there dedicating the new park.

I discussed the year, briefly, to the assembled dwarves. I discussed the future.

When I began talking about the 'demon' rumor, the crowd began muttering. Apparently my calling it a 'rumor' was showing these demons disrespect. What strange logic! If demons were real, they would be BELOW our respect, would they not?

When I discussed my intention to bridge the magma next year though...

I am suprised I escaped alive. Almost at once, the crowd transformed from a crowd to an angry mob. Stones and chunks of ore that had been strewn about were thrown at me. One of the soldiers fired a crossbow bolt, which richocheted off a nearby wall and spun into the distance. I ran to my quarters and locked myself there.

I shudder to think what will happen when I need to leave to get food!

3rd opal

When I went to leave, I was mostly ignored by other dwarves, who were rushing towards the new park.

When I arrived, I saw that our jeweler had cut a masterful gem and was holding it aloft. It was refracting the light into a fascinating pattern, and the crowd oohed and aaahed.

I asked to be shown it, and they all fell silent. There were a few nervous laughs.

And I was shown it.

I nearly shattered it upon the ground. They are mocking me! I know it!

26th opal

A party was organized at the Statue I built.

As I approached, I heard noisy chatter from all present. As I came into sight, though, all talk stopped rapidly and I suddenly became the center of attention.

I attempted to talk, but was met with silence. As I left, someone threw a mug at the back of my head!

Clearly my lessers are trying to kill me. I must be cautious. Perhaps I should carry a crossbow with me.

[ September 28, 2007: Message edited by: Arkan15 ]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6