Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Diamondlucid: A Succession Game  (Read 8525 times)

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diamondlucid: A Succession Game
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>Tarrasque, hopefully the corridor (now complete) will look a little more satisfactory.</STRONG>

I have no complaints at all about your design Fedor. I was just pointing out that it might pose a few problems a few years down the road when we have quite a few dwarves around. Always good to plan in advance for large corridors.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Adalore:
<STRONG>I haven't really done an Underground forest before, But I will just extremely Extend the nile farms, that ought to give us a chunk of tree's.

Also I am currently Writing out the next bit, I have it around 3/4th's writen on the other tab in my browser.

This is fun, Looking forward to the next version's succession games.</STRONG>

My first year, what I do is mine out a RIDICULOUSLY HUGE space (leaving undug squares every 7 spaces of course to prevent cave-ins). It usually takes my 2 miners a year to complete, by which time they're Legendary. The only way in is a 1-tile wide corridor, which I block off with a one-tile channel to prevent flooding the rest of my fortress. Then I hook up the room to the river via floodgates, just like a really big farm. Usually this is finished the next winter, so I wait for spring then open the floodgates. At this point, my FPS drops to about... oh... THREE. When it's flooded (can take a few minutes), I close the floodgates and watch tons of herbs and trees pop up from the mud.

The next Spring, I flood it again. The trees don't die when they get muddy. Usually a few more saplings will start growing. I repeat this every year, and eventually I'll have the whole 200-tree limit of Tower Caps growing in my huge cave.

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

Speaking of Imigrints (bah Forget the spelling
Theres about a Dozen things moving on the Horizon.

-
Ooc: Still Slate, this happened just when I returned to the computer after eating pancakes  :p
-

Now to put them to work, I have made sure every single one of them has a meaningful job outside just Hauling stuff all over. A Fisher dwarf came with them, I am looking forward to some fryed fish.

The mason the came with them will be forced into Detailing only, we will have a nice Fort in no time!

---Early Felsite---

After a head count our Outposts Population has more then Tripled, straight to 28, I hope our food stores hold up, or it will be a rather deem future.

I drafted the two trappers that came with them, I just have a feeling that they'd die or get mortally injured, just a strange feeling.  

Also after looking at the outside refuse pile as I went to make blocks for the road, theres a giant mole body laying there, I had no idea that we had such a problem in this fort.

----Mid felsite----

I still wounder if it was truly worth the effort to make a fortress out here, but to get away form the capital it's all worth it.

We have that Skeletal beast outside, this is the closes I ever thought I'd be to death, thank armok that IT didn't spot me.

I was hoping to get this road up, but I guess it's a Fantasy. but you never
know.

Recently our Drinks stores were down to 2 of all things, granted now we have dedicated brewer, Glad we have one now, soon I will look into starting the underground forest and a small barracks on the east side of the river.

Also I am planing to make a small Storage area for finished goods along the lines of mugs and ect.

--
OOC I am enjoying this.
--

It is now Summer, The food stores are seeming stable, and the plans for the underground forest, It will go a might distance. Also, I sent some mail to some Buddy's  in the capital, they expert in fort design and I got some mighty questions before I continue to build.

I will send a Summery and a map of this fort and await for my questions to be answered.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1034-diamondlucid

--- End of Entry

Well the map is just to get suggestions form the people who have been playing DF much longer then I have. I'd like to have some one tell me if I ought to bridge the chasm and get stuff set up over there and ect.

I haves my own gallery matey!
www.adalore.deviantart.com
Not quite dwarfy enough yet.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

[Being an a*****e]
Where did the story go???  :(  I want to know what happened to the characters; how cares abut the bloody fortress!
Fedor's story was brilliant, it can't be easy being after something like that, I want to know how it continues! so please, pretty pleeeease, edit your update to continue fedor's story and continue that way. sorry for being rude but I MUST KNOW HOW IT ENDS!  :D

(and please excuse the English)  :roll:

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

if theres any open years SOON I would like to attempt to rule. If not then i will go back to waiting for the new version  :(

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

OOC Not to say that I won't keep playing.

--- Early Hematite ---

The Stupid Skeleton hasn't self us, Why can't it wounder outa of our area.
Right now The only reason it hasn't slayed all of my Wood workers as they are forbidden to leave the fort. Camping right on top of the chopped trees.

On a deferent not Our Metal worker has been acting rather strangely, she just dropped what she was doing and walked off with out a word, hope it's some thing safe... I just hope she doesn't go crazy, seeing as this place is already driving me to the edges of my mind.

eh? she just claimed the Metalsmiths workshop.

saying strange things like "Bones... yes..." and some thing about ore.
Oh no is this one of those possessions I have read about? oh this does not blend well.

--
Oh aha a bug, the Strange mood dwarves Obey the O menu, But I hope I can find the Ore she wants.
--

OH thank goodness, I am so relived I can get Smashed right now, all she needed was some bones.

Now that brings up the question, How is she melting the ore? With the will of the possession?? that just baffles me.

How Fitting for her trip to our little Slice of heaven

Other then that the Road is slowly being built, Slowly but surely.

---- Mid Hematite ----
Some humans are coming to our depot, I will make an effort at getting some goods to trade.
At least these Above ground dwellers Under stand the importance of Wood trade goods.
And respect our good and us also.

Woah, this HAS to be a joke, This is ALL we have to trade?! this is really just sad on our part, Why didn't I boot the Craftdwarves into gear? Oh why?! they probably lost a bit of respect form them. *sigh* this is even making me lose respect for my self.

Only... A ... toy boat... Yep my self respect is in the pooper.

----

--- Early Malachite --- My dream of building a road that is built my hands a road that will be used by diverse cultures can use is coming to realization, at this rate we will be bridged over river by winter.  

----

Well I hope we earned more respect form the humans, I have regained some of mine, but I feel like a Tourist trap with all of these mugs...

although the humans have my respect with having the patience that they have.
-
I have traded all of the mugs for every thing but the cow cheese.

--- late malachite ---

Rah! I feel great. Plenty of food Even if it's a tad bland of a menu, and plenty of drink! YEAH! and my main project is getting closer and closer to completion.

I just Built the Bridge with my own two hands.
I feel pretty darn content.

---End of entry as I am running outa IMG's per post.

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

Also Armok or who ever uses that user name, I am trying to do my best, please note that this is my first Succession game, and currently my writing skills are Sub-par.

I am doing my best to put some story into it, justing to inject some personality, but think of it this way, I am only a dabbling Succession player.
just realize that it can be MUCH worse, such as spamming emote EVERY where, with a 'WTF BBQ' thrown in at weird places.

I'd just like to think I am doing a pretty good job for my first go.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

This is a good update. The RNG has pocessed a dwarf to create a good omen for us:

The first artifact of the new fort is a metal flask, a thing you drink out of. That says very good things about our future prosperity. It has engravings representing the founding, sucess in trading and the quick gaining of outpost status, and has a prophetic ring to the name. I would recomend new leaders fill it with their favorite drink and empty the entire flask, which holds three meals worth of drink at a time, in a single draught before making your first decision as ruler. The trouble with the human traders was caused by not doing this. Please fix this problem as soon as you can. One of the images is made of the bones of a dead mole, the military improvements you made during your rule will be good for the fort.

[ September 25, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

bah, lets just do this can get it over with.
While... eating sour candy.

---- Early Galena ----

Every things going smoothly, every ones working hard, earning their drinks and mushrooms, Erod decided to throw a party, I hope every one gets the rest they deserve.

---- Early Limestone ----

Ah the Caravan such a welcomed sight, I hailed them as they went over the bridge spanning the river.
"Hail! such a sight, glad you were able to make it," I said.
"Aye," Said the Caravans leader, "we are just as glad to see more then these muddy marshes. you better have some thing good to trade"
"Yeah," I replyed "we got plenty of mugs, just don't tag us as a Tourist trap."

--- Late limestone ---

We have finished trading with the caravan, we traded all the food they had for nearly every mug we crafted.

Also the trappers I drafted in spring are now friends and decided to remove the leopard out front for me, I'd say they did a good job.

Also Kadol the metalsmith has been stricken by a strange mood, It's not possession form what I can tell, form the study's on these "Moods" its determined that dwarf in question that receives the strange mood may advance in such a way in their craft that it's nearly crazy.

Soon we will find out if it work's for kadol's sake I hope it works.  

There was no Fury of activity liked I hope, I hope this is not the end of Kadol, I must find the ore that's required. No dwarf will die as long as I am in charge.

It appears  that he does not want any of the metals in this area, oh crud, we must Bridge the chasm and find the ore!

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

--- Early Sandstone ---

We have bridged the chasm, luckily I only required one stone to build it.
Now it's in the miners hands, I hope they can find the ore.

---
OOC are Metalworkers ever just try to get the ore that's been found? I looked in the profile and he doesn't like any ore. Secretive is a TAD too secret bah.
--

--sand stone 11'th

We found Gold in our rush to get ore for Kadol, soon after we struck coal, I dearly hope we can find some of the correct metal.

---
OOC BLARG I just looked into the wiki, The only metal we haven't found it plantitum, but is there any other things that "A picture of an ore mine" On secretive?
---

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

Put me up for year 7 if its open.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »

Quick question since Adalore seems to be blazing through his turn:

How do I rename a dwarf? I've, uh, never done it in my fortresses (my furthest progressed, "Tincouncil" is up on the DFMA... my fortresses kept getting -3 errors, but I'm on a different computer which doesn't crash as often now)...

Edit: Tincouncil, 1055. It got -3'd shortly after this was taken.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-503-tincouncil

[ September 25, 2007: Message edited by: Arkan15 ]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 09:45:00 pm »

--- Late Sandstone ---

I have stationed the recruits in the room with kabol I hope it doesn't come needing them. I really hope it does not come to that.

Where is that ORE?!?

--- Early timber ---

Thimeth the miner in the scramble to find the correct ore has stumbled upon MAGMA! of thing's to find with thin a mountain, of all things.

But I guess I ought to be greatful that it didin't toast Thimeth into deep fryed well dwarf.

migrants at all times!! of all things during this problem! every thing is pileing up high like wolf Crap in the corner, I don't know how much more of this I can handle. I just need to hold the mantle as high as I can for as long as I am able.

I watched them pass my workshop, Suppressing a Scream as they ran pass to our gates. how much more can I take?

OH NO!! ARMOK NO!!

Kadol has snapped! he SNAPPED! I am glad I put the recruits in the room but Sadden at the same time... what a sad day.

What the?! Where in Armok are the Marksdwarves?! I stationed them in there where in Pits name are they?!

Kadol killed a fisher dwarve in his rage, may they both rest in peace... oh please rest.

---
DANG IT, I just noticed that they were 'standing down' DANG IT, I might have saved one of the dwarves! crap cakes!
---

Erod the farmer started a party, I...I hope it's farewell party for the dead.

--- Late timber ---
Now I know why I am soo on edge! I must get some drink to be brewed AT THIS INSTANT

--- WINTER

Now will we live? I wish to give this mantle back, I never want it AGAIN!!

Erod is hosting another party, I don't know what this be about but I feel like I am losing Coherent writing...  

-- Mid moon stone --

I am pushing the miners to find Iron ore, seeing how specific Kajol was now that the metal smiths know of the magma river... oh noo... We need magma smelters and fordges ASAP!

I need to drown this out in wine...

---17'th opal---

It seems like ages ense I last updated my journal, with all this tress, trying to keep every thing up and run, trying to keep every thing up and not imploding.

I can barely handle this stress, Just barely.

I just want to leave all responsibility and just craft furniture for ever, A almost careless life...

The miners are confidant that they know where some Iron is, so they are currently digging along the magma river.

Also, I feel kinda silly as the Responsibility will I hope leaving me soon... I hope... I placed many Stonefall traps, I swear no one will die form sieges.

The food stores seem stable, and it may seem chaos but thats what it is for that matter.

On the military, with the last wave of migrants there was A trapper that I drafted, a Spear dwarf and a Axe dwarf, so we are not completely defenseless.

Also My labor over work bench has payed off! the Road It is All most complete, so next year there will be bountiful traders.

The road will be done before spring, I am seeing to it my self.
At least I will have some thing to be proud of.

----

Late opal

Just a Long over do status update.

It almost feels like my work is becoming meaningless as the year comes to a close.

---3rd Obsidian---

I have completed my pride and joy! the road in finished!!!
Now I will Craft many doors So many... no other fort will see so many DOORS! The world will be FLOODED WITH DOORS. (Cue Fell Giggles that are truly unnerving and this is not written every one in the local area hear it and are creeped out.)

---
At this point the other dwarfs are questioning Delaar's Sanity, and decided on moving her out of office as it turns to the next year.
---

--- Mid Obsidian

The miners have found platinum on the way to the Ore for Iron, a grand find.

We have Struck Iron ore! YES!!

--- Late Obsidian

I have reason to believe that I am being planned verses, I think they want to remove me, Now I will make the first move, to resign before that happens! That will throw them off!! AHA!!

---
The may be my last entry before I take the first move to resign, I am just as happy to resign and make doors intill I am struck down.
--- End of entry

three ingame days intil spring, I will get the save of rapid share in no time.

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

http://rapidshare.com/files/58297248/DwarfFortress_Save.rar.html

Ker SAVE!!
Now I wish to see what other people are gonna do, so enjoy.

I don't know that might have been one of the fastest turns ever done D:

Started at around 10am this morn'n now it's 9pm!
And now I must play EQ2 with my sister.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2007, 10:32:00 pm »

Any chance of upping a final map, too?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6