Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wonder about name of a genre(?) and maybe name of a game  (Read 838 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Wonder about name of a genre(?) and maybe name of a game
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:15:45 am »

Way back in the mists of time before time when I had yet to have a name I played a game (I actually got my current name from the game as I wanted more play so need another account and akhier was what I came up with). I can't remember the name of the game and I don't know what the genre or style would be called. What it was is a mostly texted based game. As real time ticked by you would get mana to use and maybe another resource or so (I think you build buildings for the stuff)? With that you researched spells and summoned units. With those units you could attack other players and defend yourself. I think the game would end when someone managed to cast the ultimate spell and the server would reset a bit later. I think there was more to it but that is all I remember about it. If anyone can tell me what that type of game is called and maybe figure out the name of the game itself that would be most appreciated.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder about name of a genre(?) and maybe name of a game
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:45:51 am »

It sounds like some kind of MMO 4X game, although they're usually called "browser strategy games". While they exist, they were never terribly common or popular AFAIK. I think this genre evolved into Clash of Clans.

The only example of this genre that I know of is Evony (the one that infamously advertised itself with tits all over the place).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:48:14 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 06:37:00 am »

Might the old browser game Utopia? Sounds kinda similar

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:15:11 am »

It sounds like some kind of MMO 4X game, although they're usually called "browser strategy games". While they exist, they were never terribly common or popular AFAIK. I think this genre evolved into Clash of Clans.
They were actually somewhat silly common (there were at least a few dozen, and seemingly more showing up basically every day, heh) somewhere back in the mid to late 90s or thereabouts, before higher speed internet really propagated enough to make more intensive stuff more common. I can't really recall any particular names, though, as they tended to be as crappy as they were prolific. Also I didn't really indulge much, as waiting on ticks just kinda' pissed me off :V

So far as I'm aware they're still pretty common, actually. Flash based MMO city-builders and whatnot, just about everything browser based and centered mechanically around ticks, nation building, etc. Browser strategy game is probably as close to a genre title as it gets, though, yeah. If you're looking for more of 'em, I'd imagine trawling around free MMO listings is still a good way to trip over oodles of the things, as they certainly junked the things up a decade or two ago. They've certainly never really been tremendously popular, so far as I'm aware, but they were also basically baby's first MMO in terms of coding difficulty, so... yeah. There were a lot of them that started without fanfare, lingered for who knows how long, and then died ignominiously.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:18:03 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 03:43:55 pm »

Without a proper timeframe, this sounds like an old BBS door game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:53:36 pm »

Without a proper timeframe, this sounds like an old BBS door game.

aka games like LORD, and this one wasteland post apocalyptic base building game that spawned a ton of clones. They were Farmville before web browsers and ad revenue, although I think particularly sophisticated ones still had proto-microtransactions of a sort, premium membership, shit like that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:55:40 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:05:53 pm »

I remember a slew of these things from back in the day. In particular, I remember the gimmicks of two of them. The first had a huge variety of races you could be: halflings, elves, humans, werewolves, vampires, etc etc, and it also had a public market that was very necessary because some races were really bad at certain things like food production or mining or whatever. One game some player came up with the strategy of amassing enough gold to buy out all the food on the market and then relist it at a greatly increased price, screwing over a massive number of players who were dependent on importing food.

The other one I remember in good detail I actually remember the name of: Holy War. Good luck googling that. (I just tried and guess what: a completely different game by the same name now exists) It had the gimmick that there were 5 players playing as gods waging their own war against each other, and then the giant slew of player kingdoms would each be aligned to a god, receiving benefits and providing certain resources to their god. If I remember correctly, the game ran on 1 hour ticks, with launching attacks or building most buildings taking somewhere around 6 hours to occur. And a full round would typically play out over a few months.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.