Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FindMagma0.2a  (Read 2466 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: FindMagma0.2a
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ziusudra:
<STRONG>
Edit: Wait, you're saying the user finds the volcanoes, or what ever feature, and the script would just search the area around what ever region is currently selected.  I've thought of that and will probably add it after I get the layer checks coded.

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Ziusudra ]</STRONG>

Actually, I figured it could search the main (right hand) map to find red ^'s in the middle map, and only search the tiles in the middle map (which would look on the left hand map) if it was near a volcano.

I had thought it would be faster then searching every single square, because it only has to look at the middle map not the lefthand map at all, till it finds a volcano. If this is not faster, then I'm sorry I must be misunderstanding how the program works and you can ignore me heh.

A user selected search area is still a good idea though. You could also make an option to only search the top/middle/bottom 3rd of the screen for people who want a freezing/temperate/scorching map. Unfortunately up is not always cold, but the user could look at the map and figure what he wants and pick it from there.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:<STRONG>Actually, I figured it could search the main (right hand) map to find red ^'s in the middle map, and only search the tiles in the middle map (which would look on the left hand map) if it was near a volcano.

I had thought it would be faster then searching every single square, because it only has to look at the middle map not the lefthand map at all, till it finds a volcano. If this is not faster, then I'm sorry I must be misunderstanding how the program works and you can ignore me heh.

A user selected search area is still a good idea though. You could also make an option to only search the top/middle/bottom 3rd of the screen for people who want a freezing/temperate/scorching map. Unfortunately up is not always cold, but the user could look at the map and figure what he wants and pick it from there.</STRONG>

No, you're right, it would be a faster search, maybe half the time, but it would miss a LOT of magma vents and, most importantly, it would be a pain to code.

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Glazius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

Is there any chance that you could script this to maximize the territory and list off the biomes? I just had a search come back with about 300 results, and looking at each one individually is just as time-intensive as finding them in the first place.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Glazius:
<STRONG>Is there any chance that you could script this to maximize the territory and list off the biomes? I just had a search come back with about 300 results, and looking at each one individually is just as time-intensive as finding them in the first place.</STRONG>
Thats currently being worked on.  Also, there's a newer version here.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 [2]