Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mystery bleeding dwarf that doesn't exist, apparently.  (Read 1110 times)

Mjolnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mystery bleeding dwarf that doesn't exist, apparently.
« on: April 28, 2016, 05:15:19 pm »

So I was milling about, telling dwarfs what to do and such in my first fort. (I'm quite new to this game.) Then I started noticing slight differences in color of the pear leaves around my fort. I /look/ at it closely, and I notice that it's not pear leaves but in fact many smears and pools of dwarf blood, mixed in with varying amounts of yak blood. The fort has not seen attack in the past other than the occasional hunter deciding not to use wooden bolts as ammunition, and trying to break their crossbow over some large angry animal's skull. I check the dwarf health list and find nothing, then read over all the dwarf names. Still nothing. I even check the missing/deceased menu. Who is this mysterious Theaterbristle?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery bleeding dwarf that doesn't exist, apparently.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:18:35 pm »

Could be a trader, or you've got a vamp.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 05:41:55 pm »

Try checking the translation. Theaterbristle = Stinthadlek.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mjolnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:33:07 pm »

Oh, I didn't realize the names change with the menu. I'll check that now.

Mjolnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 08:09:15 pm »

So I found the dwarf. He's one of the founders of Blamelesstours and used to walk on a crutch after a rumble with a particularly angry cherry tree. These smears and pools are much newer than that though, and there's no reason for me to think that he could be a vampire.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 12:07:10 am »

what am i missing? translation?  bumber please explain I am dumbfounded.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:13:05 am »

Try r for reports, it will sometimes show you a fight that you didn't notice in game (when the hell did my war dog fight a capybara?). Another option is to open up the gamelog text file and have a read of that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 05:48:20 am »

Names on contaminants are written in English. Names in the units list are written in their civ's in-game language. The languages are defined in /raw/objects/language_*.txt, although the accented letters are somewhat messed up. (Not sure if you'd have to mess with the text editor encoding, or whether they're just stored like that.)

I ended up starting an embark in a new world to check the translation using the fort name, although I probably should have just used this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Language
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 07:54:01 am »

Names on contaminants are written in English. Names in the units list are written in their civ's in-game language. The languages are defined in /raw/objects/language_*.txt, although the accented letters are somewhat messed up. (Not sure if you'd have to mess with the text editor encoding, or whether they're just stored like that.)

They're stored in Code page 437, like the tileset bitmap. The characters show up correctly if you use the Terminal font on windows.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!