Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The truth about Dwarven milk  (Read 5578 times)

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The truth about Dwarven milk
« on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:29 am »

While on the wiki page for Dwarven milk I read the phrase "If cow cheese is made from cow's milk, what is dwarven cheese made of?". Of course you may know that Dwarven milk comes from purring maggots, but why is it called Dwarven milk and not maggots milk?

I believe I have an answer

The dwarves originated when Borr's sons formed maggots out of Ymir's blood, which they eventually decided to give a humanoid form. It is my belief that the purring maggots are primordial dwarves, which means they produce a very literal 'Dwarven milk'.

Sorry if this connection has been brought up before, I searched the forum for relevant wording but didn't find anything.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: The truth about Dwarven milk
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 06:48:05 am »

Or maybe it's because Maggot Milk sounds absolutely disgusting...

Edit: Although I would now like your explanation for the naming of Dwarven Wine, Beer, Ale and Rum.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:53:42 am by King Kitteh »
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:02:41 am »

Well that's easy, It's made by dwarves!

I wasn't putting it forward as a serious explanation, just an interesting comparison.  :P
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
*gobbles menacingly*

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:34:59 am »

Dwarven wine: because plump helmets are always complaining.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 10:42:09 am »

Silk comes form a worm's ass.  Honey is bee vomit.  Red food dye in the modern world is often made of crushed insects boiled in fermented piss.

Purring maggots are just some creature that has a sack of milk-like substance that dwarves can wring out of them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:58:47 am »

Nice!

Of course, when the myth-generator comes, we might start seeing this sort of thing in-game.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:57:04 pm »

Silk comes form a worm's ass.  Honey is bee vomit.  Red food dye in the modern world is often made of crushed insects boiled in fermented piss.

Purring maggots are just some creature that has a sack of milk-like substance that dwarves can wring out of them.

But they don't call it 'Man bum string', or 'Sweet man vomit' or even 'Human red dye'. If you get where I'm going. They could've called it something like 'Sweet ichor', but Dwarven milk is where the decided to go.

Nice!

Of course, when the myth-generator comes, we might start seeing this sort of thing in-game.

Yeah! That's the mindset I had when I saw the connection :)
*gobbles menacingly*

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:13:09 pm »

But they don't call it 'Man bum string', or 'Sweet man vomit' or even 'Human red dye'. If you get where I'm going. They could've called it something like 'Sweet ichor', but Dwarven milk is where the decided to go.
Dwarvern milk. Meaning 'from the nation of dwarves' (not strictly speaking correct as there are many nations of dwarves, but it was probably named by ignorant humans). Greek yoghurt's not made from Greeks, you know.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:26:25 pm »

Dwarvern milk. Meaning 'from the nation of dwarves' (not strictly speaking correct as there are many nations of dwarves, but it was probably named by ignorant humans). Greek yoghurt's not made from Greeks, you know.

I never thought of it that way, yeah that sounds a lot more likely now. Hahaha. I guess I became accustomed to seeing the world through the dwarves, thinking "Why would dwarves call it dwarven milk?". Although if Greek yoghurt was made from Greeks, I'd bet it'd be called Soylent Greek.  :P

Edit: I guess the confusion comes from Greece being a nation and Dwarves being a species, again they don't call Human yoghurt, but I think I'm just splitting hairs here. Although on the stage where there are multiple species I guess it makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:31:24 pm by kontako »
*gobbles menacingly*

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:54:55 pm »

I never thought of it that way, yeah that sounds a lot more likely now. Hahaha. I guess I became accustomed to seeing the world through the dwarves, thinking "Why would dwarves call it dwarven milk?". Although if Greek yoghurt was made from Greeks, I'd bet it'd be called Soylent Greek.  :P

Edit: I guess the confusion comes from Greece being a nation and Dwarves being a species, again they don't call Human yoghurt, but I think I'm just splitting hairs here. Although on the stage where there are multiple species I guess it makes sense.
Yeah, I'm sure there must be some examples out there where someone's named a product after the people most well-known for producing it. Right now the only ones that spring to mind have peoples named after their countries though.
There's probably something that was once named after an ethnic group but has been renamed in recent years. Hmmm. Was 'eskimo roll' a thing, or did I dream it?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:58:07 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 10:10:50 pm »

Vermont Cheddar isn't made out of Vermont

We can find many examples of this type of naming in both food and drink.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 04:15:38 pm »

They have to name it after the dwarves, rather than the place the dwarves occupy because then it would be "Oaken Pullies Milk" in one game, and "Drowned Hammer Milk" in another.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:33:06 am »

...Which would be awesome.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 10:25:35 pm »

Vermont Cheddar isn't made out of Vermont

We can find many examples of this type of naming in both food and drink.

But it's a product of Vermont. Vermont cheese - produced in Vermont, from cow milk. They don't call it Human cheese.
Cow cheese (Doesn't signify location or culture where it is known to be produced, names species) - made from cow's milk, product of cows.
Dwarf cheese (Doesn't signify location or culture where it is known to be produced, names species) - product of dwarves, from dwarf milk, which happens to be produced by maggots, not dwarves.
It's the difference between naming the location it's made, and naming the species which the cheese is produced from. Dwarf names the species. That's where I pulled the connection from.
The cultures of the dwarves would be, as Kohaku said, "Oaken Pulleys" or "Drowned Hammer"; but as Shonai Dweller said, it's a generalisation made by humans that sweep all dwarf civs into the "Dwarven culture" which produces "Dwarven cheese"

I accept that it's just a name for consistency's sake. It's just a play on words which happened to parallel something else.
*gobbles menacingly*

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 08:28:36 pm »

Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with the elves?
Pages: [1] 2