Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: magma over bridges?  (Read 1402 times)

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma over bridges?
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:22:53 pm »

Can one use a bridge (of magmasafe stone) to support magma.
Basically to fill a tank of magma with a retractable bridge floor. And then drop it in 1 shot. Rather than pouring it out on top of water?

Am trying to cast an obsidian "drydock" and parts of the hull of a ship that I want to make... because why the hell not.

I coudl cast it normally by dropping water on the magma then dropping the obsidian. But was trying to work out a faster way. Bonus points if i dump the magma on a zombie giant whale.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: magma over bridges?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:20:22 pm »

Generally, it's considered better to dump water onto magma than magma onto water, but yes, a bridge will support magma if it is made of any magma-safe material. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:21:28 am »

As NW_Kohaku said, it works. I've used used pumped magma to obsidianize cavern lake entrances with retracting bridges to let the magma through. Note that the mechanism has to be magma safe as well, though.

I've experimented with a dwarven 3D printer for the building of 20+ level high walls to seal off cavern entrances, but the construction generally fails after a short while due to "impossible" obsidianization under/through a bridge which can only be removed by dismantling the bridge, so I've given up on that idea.

For the drydock/ship works, I'd first drop magma on the water to create the floor (can be done by a basin of magma you drop in one go, but it can't be too large, or you'll get problems with magma evaporating as fast as you add new magma, so if it's a huge bottom, I'd do this in several sections), and then build the sides by creating a mold where I'd let magma flow into the mold from the side. This construction should be done such that you can increase the level of the magma flow entry point to the top level of your hull, implying the top level of your magma pumping flow source should be level with the top of the final hull. I'd build a water dropping system (at least) one level above the top of the hull, where a channel contains the water, and the bottom of the channel consists of retracting drawbridges connected to a single lever, so once the magma has covered a single hull level, I'd stop the magma influx and pull the water drop lever. I'd have a drawbridge block the flow of water to the water channel to speed things up (otherwise extra water will spill onto the newly formed obsidian, forcing you to wait for it to dry). Once a level has been obsidianized, refill the water channel and raise the magma input level one step.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:46:12 am »

Your mechanisms must also be made of magma-safe materials!  Both the ones connecting the lever/plate to the bridge, at the very least.

If you drop magma onto water, you end up with an obsidian sponge whose pockets are randomly filled with air, magma, and water.  Vice versa works far better.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:47:57 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 03:42:22 pm »

Extension question, as i havent gotten to play yet (weekend and all).

So say instead of casting a place to build the ship.

What if i cast the whole hull, and dropped it all in 1 shot into the water.

I figure i could do that easy enough. But do overhangs stay intact when caving in. Or do they just collapse to the lowest level?
As surveying the sea floor, theres a drop in depth cutting across the area i was planning to build.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 04:05:26 pm »

No, overlaps collapse. You'll have to cast in place (or build some support structure for it to drop onto that's the right shape: you'll still lose internal structure, but you can just do that solid and carve it out later).