Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate: MKIV OOC : A Pair of Boots, A Cutlass, and a Parrot. OOC  (Read 13224 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

I don't understand. You say the hair wouldn't work like that and then go on to say that it can totally work if it's thick enough. Individually the hairs are nothing, but bunch them all up together and you get your forearm thickness pretty easily.
There is a huge difference strengthwise between one solid mass and lots and lots of little masses. Think of it sorta like a fuckton of threads. A fuckton of threads makes a very strong rope when woven. However trying to reach the same level of weightbearing without weaving them would not work. Also I'm not interested in giving you something absurdly exploitable.

He's military (just don't tell the others). That's a good reason for having military grade augs, right?
Nope. Based on how he's a pirate and fucking around on a temporally detached ship randomly jaunting around the galaxy no. He isn't military. Also by military. I mean toptier grade. The kind of shit that you won't find outside of a T2 civ's Military Castes.

What's the max I can get, then?
Well what specific kind of toxin are ya wanting immunity to? Nerve toxins? Toxins that cause cellular destabilization? Toxins that cause filtering issues? Stuff that overloads certain receptors to cause crippling pain and bodily harm? There are a hell of a lot of toxins.

It's not how adrenaline works, but that's because it's not adrenaline. Magnoadrenaline is just a name. The mega-adrenal gland isn't to make the magnoadrenaline work better, it's to alter the body so that it's more receptive to the magnoadrenaline and can more easily make it a part of its natural biology. The name "mega-adrenal" is kind of confusing I guess.
So. Your character is a human with biological augments. In order to get a hormone that would induce the required output for the 'Magnoadrenaline' to work, it would require a total rewrite of the genetic structure. Far beyond the kind of augment that a standard human would have access to and way more then enough to mark the person as "Not Human." An example of this output is the KX9. Bred and augmented and engineered for specific tasks within their specific castes.

There is a guy who exists across multiple timelines simultaneously that have a very real chance of touching each-other, all without getting into magic. There is literally a hulk of walking iron. We have a pack of sentient hive mind kittens. Being able to do something tangentially similar to what eels do seems...well not mild in comparison but it certainly seems to fit in.
The Temporal Psion has significant neurosises an disabilities. As do All psions. The hunk of walking iron has some pretty significant pros and cons to it as well. The kittens for obvious reason have pros and cons (also their hive is produced by technology).

The issue with doing not only what an eel does, but doing the equivalent of functioning as a constantly running generator capable of powering a small skyscraper is that biological tissue was not made to do that. If your character was a machine the size of a car? Sure. That would be totally acceptable, as machines are built Specifically to handle that level of electrical charge. But just slapping electricity generation onto a relatively small humanoid? Not gonna fly and it's gonna fry your bits.

It helps him learn, it helps him with stuff he's learned, and it helps where learning by rote isn't as useful (solving puzzles, for example). Basically like an ordinary genius, except not to such a high level.
Alrighty. Thanks for clarifying.

Daww, but I really wanted to play an electro-priest... :'( :'(
..Then use mechanical augments and not bioaugments? Specific conductive routes and storage spots to prevent significant organ damage? An example with the KX9 is how they use cybernetics for anything that it would be inefficient or stupid to use biology for.

Targeted towards humans.
Alrighty. Keep in mind various ethnicities and deviant species will not react the same. Especially the deviant species. What is attractive to a mantis man is not attractive to a human. And vice versa.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a huge difference strengthwise between one solid mass and lots and lots of little masses. Think of it sorta like a fuckton of threads. A fuckton of threads makes a very strong rope when woven. However trying to reach the same level of weightbearing without weaving them would not work. Also I'm not interested in giving you something absurdly exploitable.
Alright, well can I downgrade to Medusa hair then? The augment lets me use the hair like additional limbs but since they're not made out of nanoweave, they can't really crush anything more than regular arms can.

Nope. Based on how he's a pirate and fucking around on a temporally detached ship randomly jaunting around the galaxy no. He isn't military. Also by military. I mean toptier grade. The kind of shit that you won't find outside of a T2 civ's Military Castes.
*tsk* There goes my plan for playing a mysterious character who's for some secretive reason bumming around as a pirate despite being loaded with top-tier military grade augments and (badly) pretending to be a normal human. I guess I'll come up with a full backstory now rather than make one up as the story develops leaving hints along the way. I'll need some time but I don't want to hold the game up. If you start the game now, will I have a chance to join up later?

Well what specific kind of toxin are ya wanting immunity to? Nerve toxins? Toxins that cause cellular destabilization? Toxins that cause filtering issues? Stuff that overloads certain receptors to cause crippling pain and bodily harm? There are a hell of a lot of toxins.
Well what do the KX9 use? I'm certain they have immunity to all such toxins despite being organic.

So. Your character is a human with biological augments. In order to get a hormone that would induce the required output for the 'Magnoadrenaline' to work, it would require a total rewrite of the genetic structure. Far beyond the kind of augment that a standard human would have access to and way more then enough to mark the person as "Not Human."
I don't see how it would require a total rewrite. They're bioaugments, not gene augments. I can see some genetic alteration to eliminate the chance of rejection but a full genetic rewrite seems as unnecessary as when putting in augments made of metal rather than flesh.

The Temporal Psion has significant neurosises an disabilities. As do All psions. The hunk of walking iron has some pretty significant pros and cons to it as well. The kittens for obvious reason have pros and cons (also their hive is produced by technology).
My point was that "scientifically impossible" is what didn't apply. Something doesn't become scientifically possible just because you tack some pros and cons on it.

For example, someone who can make matter out of literally nothing is still doing something scientifically impossible regardless of if they have a con like becoming suicidally depressed as a result.

The issue with doing not only what an eel does, but doing the equivalent of functioning as a constantly running generator capable of powering a small skyscraper is that biological tissue was not made to do that.
First, biological tissue can be made to do many, many things. It's less intuitive to make a biological equivalent of something mechanical but it's hardly impossible. Second, a skyscraper!? Ok, I seriously didn't mean to give my guy that much electricity. Enough to kill a guy with his electric powers, yeah, but certainly not that much. If it was the total charge I put inside him that was the problem, can I have the augment back so long as I scale down how much electricity he can hold and generate?

..Then use mechanical augments and not bioaugments?
Why would I? Bioaugments are significantly easier to maintain and can self-repair, even if they are less durable. Far more optimal when finding spare parts can be an issue. I certainly hope you're not one of those "flesh is weak" Old Guard tech-priests who deny the utility of organic matter and decry it as inherently inferior.

Specific conductive routes and storage spots to prevent significant organ damage?
That's probably what Kar uses, just they're made out some kind of organic material instead of metal.

Alrighty. Keep in mind various ethnicities and deviant species will not react the same. Especially the deviant species. What is attractive to a mantis man is not attractive to a human. And vice versa.
Never expected anything else.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:07:33 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

I'm getting a bit bored of waiting, so I'll just make another character.
Mostly because I like doing so. I don't plan at all to use it.
Spoiler: Race (click to show/hide)
This is also a check if this sort of character is acceptable. So I can know a bit more about the limits of what you'll allow.
Also, what penalty do I need to give him for having psionics?

I still don't intend to use this character.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, well can I downgrade to Medusa hair then? The augment lets me use the hair like additional limbs but since they're not made out of nanoweave, they can't really crush anything more than regular arms can.
Yes. You can indeed!

*tsk* There goes my plan for playing a mysterious character who's for some secretive reason bumming around as a pirate despite being loaded with top-tier military grade augments and (badly) pretending to be a normal human. I guess I'll come up with a full backstory now rather than make one up as the story develops leaving hints along the way. I'll need some time but I don't want to hold the game up. If you start the game now, will I have a chance to join up later?
Make up a backstory as we go but make sure to run it by me first so I can actually incorporate it into the game. Or at the very minimum have bulletpoints and a vague timeline by the time we start.

Well what do the KX9 use? I'm certain they have immunity to all such toxins despite being organic.
The KX9 do not have baseline immunity to toxins. They use something called "Group Adaptation." The first people to get the toxin analyze and transfer data on it to those around them before promptly succumbing. The receiving group uses the data to begin developing antibodies and counters before transmitting and also succumbing. The more successful variations of said antibodies are refined and further transferred to the general population. A targeted Class 2 Biobomb could be expected to terminate about a city worth of KX9 before the planetary population adapts sufficiently to stabilize patients, not counting ecological harm induced by the bioweapon. In comparison, a Class 2 biobomb on a purely baseline human planet could be expected to desolate the region both populationwise and ecologywise. When it comes to direct affecting bodily toxins and not dispersed toxins, the KX9 usually find it easiest to cut out the afflicted flesh and let it regrow over the course of hours to months depending on the strain and availability of a Medical Caste KX9.

I don't see how it would require a total rewrite. They're bioaugments, not gene augments. I can see some genetic alteration to eliminate the chance of rejection but a full genetic rewrite seems as unnecessary as when putting in augments made of metal rather than flesh.
I don't think you quite get why I'm saying a total genetic rewrite would be needed here. You are attempting to institute an Entirely new hormone into the body. This involves changing multiple neurological, cellular, and sub cellular receptors, inputs, outputs, and is an extremely complex procedure. By default the human body is built to react with x y and z in x y and z manners. Adding in h and expecting it to do anything other then be toxic or not react at all is silly.

My point was that "scientifically impossible" is what didn't apply. Something doesn't become scientifically possible just because you tack some pros and cons on it.

For example, someone who can make matter out of literally nothing is still doing something scientifically impossible regardless of if they have a con like becoming suicidally depressed as a result.
Psions have physical laws. They just don't get their energy and matter from the same places as the rest of the universe. Nothing is created from Null.

First, biological tissue can be made to do many, many things. It's less intuitive to make a biological equivalent of something mechanical but it's hardly impossible. Second, a skyscraper!? Ok, I seriously didn't mean to give my guy that much electricity. Enough to kill a guy with his electric powers, yeah, but certainly not that much. If it was the total charge I put inside him that was the problem, can I have the augment back so long as I scale down how much electricity he can hold and generate?
Lets put in perspective how many watts you need to produce a lethal laser. There's a reason laser weapons are ranked as [Not Practical] by current global powers. On top of the obscene power requirements, they get some rather nasty heating problems. You want to produce sufficient energy to regularly charge a laser capable of deading someone in a reasonable amount of time. That's the equivalent of the production of a small irl modern day skyscraper's internal generator or a small nuclear reactor. Sufficient electricity to incapacitate in its raw form is Vastly different from the level of electricity needed to kill someone. There is a Huge difference energywise between internal first degree burns and scarring and internal third degree burns and scarring.

I'd say scale it the hell back.

Why would I? Bioaugments are significantly easier to maintain and can self-repair, even if they are less durable. Far more optimal when finding spare parts can be an issue. I certainly hope you're not one of those "flesh is weak" Old Guard tech-priests who deny the utility of organic matter and decry it as inherently inferior.
Arguably mechanical and biological augments are indistinguishable from one another when you get to a certain threshold of technology. Organic matter and mechanical matter both have their uses.

That's probably what Kar uses, just they're made out some kind of organic material instead of metal.
Conductive materials are metal. Safeconductanium is not a biological material. Gold however is used as a minor building block within the body. As are zinc, iron, and many other trace metalloids.

I'm getting a bit bored of waiting, so I'll just make another character.
Mostly because I like doing so. I don't plan at all to use it.
Spoiler: Race (click to show/hide)
This is also a check if this sort of character is acceptable. So I can know a bit more about the limits of what you'll allow.
Also, what penalty do I need to give him for having psionics?

I still don't intend to use this character.
He actually seems to have the requisite neurosises built in. Psions have some very severe neurological disabilities. Often to the point that natural bred psions are more of a danger to themselves then their abilities are beneficial. Artificially bred psions tend to have targeted, specific neurosises to make it easier for the breeding entity to keep them stable and direct them. The KX9 Psionic Castes are a fairly good example of this. Specific purposes. Specific roles. Specific mindsets. Specific neurosises. Hyperspecialization for the field they are intended for. Completely nonfunctional and often dangerous outside of said role. Extremely good at what they do when within their role.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make up a backstory as we go but make sure to run it by me first so I can actually incorporate it into the game. Or at the very minimum have bulletpoints and a vague timeline by the time we start.
Here's what I have so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The KX9 do not have baseline immunity to toxins. They use something called "Group Adaptation." The first people to get the toxin analyze and transfer data on it to those around them before promptly succumbing. The receiving group uses the data to begin developing antibodies and counters before transmitting and also succumbing. The more successful variations of said antibodies are refined and further transferred to the general population. A targeted Class 2 Biobomb could be expected to terminate about a city worth of KX9 before the planetary population adapts sufficiently to stabilize patients, not counting ecological harm induced by the bioweapon. In comparison, a Class 2 biobomb on a purely baseline human planet could be expected to desolate the region both populationwise and ecologywise. When it comes to direct affecting bodily toxins and not dispersed toxins, the KX9 usually find it easiest to cut out the afflicted flesh and let it regrow over the course of hours to months depending on the strain and availability of a Medical Caste KX9.
Well my guy would still get very quickly murdered by Life Eater Virus or any high tech bio/chem-weapon, but he should be able to handle low-grade stuff easily as well as most non-weaponised toxins. Is that ok?

Psions have physical laws. They just don't get their energy and matter from the same places as the rest of the universe. Nothing is created from Null.
Kevak, psions don't follow the laws of physics. They're not actually real, it's all either fiction or made up. While they make sense in your world (which is fine), they can't ever possibly exist IRL and are thus scientifically impossible.

Lets put in perspective how many watts you need to produce a lethal laser.
I was going to ask, why do you keep mentioning a laser? I'm thinking less a biolaser and more this.

I'd say scale it the hell back.
I've cut capacity and generation to a tenth. Is that sufficient?

Conductive materials are metal.
Strictly speaking this is incorrect. Water is conductive, as is fire. Creating electric channels (I don't know if that's a thing) out of biological matter isn't out of the realm of possibility. Bone is an insulator, if it helps to imagine a hypothetical process.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's what I have so far:
Poke in PM so we can flesh out the civ properly.

Well my guy would still get very quickly murdered by Life Eater Virus or any high tech bio/chem-weapon, but he should be able to handle low-grade stuff easily as well as most non-weaponised toxins. Is that ok?
That works fine.

Kevak, psions don't follow the laws of physics. They're not actually real, it's all either fiction or made up. While they make sense in your world (which is fine), they can't ever possibly exist IRL and are thus scientifically impossible.
..I question why you feel it necessary for you to state this. I am aware psions aren't real in reality. I'm talking about inuniverse that they have physical laws that they must follow. I am noooot talking about reality here.

I was going to ask, why do you keep mentioning a laser? I'm thinking less a biolaser and more this.
I keep mentioning a laser cause one of the stated intended uses in the original version was charging an antipersonal laser weapon. As for lightning from hands, honestly you'd be better off having palm mounted electrolasers. At least then you'd be able to aim rather then be just as likely to hit yourself.

I've cut capacity and generation to a tenth. Is that sufficient?
Ja. It's good.

Strictly speaking this is incorrect. Water is conductive, as is fire. Creating electric channels (I don't know if that's a thing) out of biological matter isn't out of the realm of possibility. Bone is an insulator, if it helps to imagine a hypothetical process.
Fire is not a conductive material. Fire ionizes the atmosphere and creates a conductive area, it in and of itself is not a conductive material.

Water is conductive yes, however it is not as conductive as other available materials. Bone is an insulator but not a good insulator. Other insulators exist that are considerably better.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That works fine.
So what sort of bonus am I getting? ATM I have +/-6 with both organs.

..I question why you feel it necessary for you to state this. I am aware psions aren't real in reality. I'm talking about inuniverse that they have physical laws that they must follow. I am noooot talking about reality here.
I thought you meant the thing wasn't scientifically possible IRL and that's why it wasn't being included in the game, not that it was scientifically impossible the in-game standards. But still, if psionic powers are scientifically possible in your universe, how are bioelectric attacks not? Or was it just the sheer amount of electricity involved?

I keep mentioning a laser cause one of the stated intended uses in the original version was charging an antipersonal laser weapon. As for lightning from hands, honestly you'd be better off having palm mounted electrolasers. At least then you'd be able to aim rather then be just as likely to hit yourself.
Come again? How come my force lightning won't work?

Bone is an insulator but not a good insulator. Other insulators exist that are considerably better.
I just gave bone as an example of something biological that could be used to handle electricity. A system designed and researched to the sheer extent that the other biomods were would work much, much better.

EDIT: I just realised that in making the biocoil only have 30 charge, it only has as much electricity as a standard lasgun charge pack. Something as big as the spine should probably have more than that. Permission to double capacity and generation?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:04:16 pm by Andres »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So what sort of bonus am I getting? ATM I have +/-6 with both organs.
Toxins are a damage type. Damage types don't get bonuses/maluses. They inflict maluses and potentially death. The organs are basically a "How badly does this affect the body" rather then "How much of a roll bonus against it does it have?"

I thought you meant the thing wasn't scientifically possible IRL and that's why it wasn't being included in the game, not that it was scientifically impossible the in-game standards. But still, if psionic powers are scientifically possible in your universe, how are bioelectric attacks not? Or was it just the sheer amount of electricity involved?
It's the sheer amount of electricity involved. Even specialized machinery can only handle so many volts.

Come again? How come my force lightning won't work?
Electricity follows the path of least resistance. In this case the path of least resistance is your waterfilled flesh and not the air. An electrolaser bypasses that by shooting a laser to ionize the atmosphere and provide a better path for the electricity to travel along. Force lightning by nature is nonfunctional without a method to ionize the air and therefore allow the electricity to actually hit the intended target and not just travel along your vulnerable fleshy bits.

EDIT: I just realised that in making the biocoil only have 30 charge, it only has as much electricity as a standard lasgun charge pack. Something as big as the spine should probably have more than that. Permission to double capacity and generation?
Keep in mind the sheer level of energy required for an antipersonal laser. Again. There is a reason irl handheld lasers are marked as Not Plausible. Huge powercost. Huge heat issues. Producing the requisite energy to fire a laser is a huge amount of energy,

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Electricity follows the path of least resistance. In this case the path of least resistance is your waterfilled flesh and not the air. An electrolaser bypasses that by shooting a laser to ionize the atmosphere and provide a better path for the electricity to travel along. Force lightning by nature is nonfunctional without a method to ionize the air and therefore allow the electricity to actually hit the intended target and not just travel along your vulnerable fleshy bits.
Can I use it as a touch attack/near-touch attack, then? Any ways to get around the problem? Application of non-conductive paint or something?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Touch/neartouch would minimize the backlash but it would be very advisable to be careful.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Touch/neartouch would minimize the backlash but it would be very advisable to be careful.
I'm going to need clarification. What does "be careful" in this case mean?

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Electric touch, reminds me of the Thunderdragons.
Speaking of which...
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lore Sheet (click to show/hide)
I got bored again, so I decided to make another character sheet I'm not going to use.
Mostly to see if it's acceptable for me to make Thunderdragons, if I'm ever going to.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Be careful means that the further away the target is, the higher chance you zap yourself.

Electric touch, reminds me of the Thunderdragons.
Speaking of which...
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lore Sheet (click to show/hide)
I got bored again, so I decided to make another character sheet I'm not going to use.
Mostly to see if it's acceptable for me to make Thunderdragons, if I'm ever going to.
It's acceptable notably due to the output being contact and having multiple requirements for discharge. Notably multiple contact points.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Be careful means that the further away the target is, the higher chance you zap yourself.
Seems fair. So is that all?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7