Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate: MKIV OOC : A Pair of Boots, A Cutlass, and a Parrot. OOC  (Read 13236 times)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Well, as I said. It depends if Kevak goes the extra mile.
The masks can work off one filter, or require several. It's all about how Kevak does it.

As for the carapace armor, sure, go ahead. I just went a bit too deep into the topic.
You can just use ceramic plating, it has high durability and low weight.
I kinda enjoyed reading Wikipedia and looking around too much, so I ended up bloating my post with info.

As for stretching, it's possible it would have to have less stretch than denim, but my point is: It'd be like stiff pants, but still pants, while it wont stretch, it will bend.
You can't have comfort and protection, there's always a compromise. Unless you go into the exotic stuff, like power armor with air condition, fluffy padding, and an integrated beer dispenser.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for the carapace armor, sure, go ahead. I just went a bit too deep into the topic.
You can just use ceramic plating, it has high durability and low weight.
I kinda enjoyed reading Wikipedia and looking around too much, so I ended up bloating my post with info.

As for stretching, it's possible it would have to have less stretch than denim, but my point is: It'd be like stiff pants, but still pants, while it wont stretch, it will bend.
You can't have comfort and protection, there's always a compromise. Unless you go into the exotic stuff, like power armor with air condition, fluffy padding, and an integrated beer dispenser.
Edited my post. You may or may not want to have another look at it.

Doesn't power armour require the former two accessories you mentioned? PA needs a way to keep the armour cool or the user will get boiled alive and it needs to be padded so the user can survive explosions and such.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Yeah, sorta noticed the edit in the middle of writing that post, but I was getting a bit incoherent after writing for a while, and decided to post anyway.

Actually, despite what people say, air condition isn't a requirement.
Even medieval plate armor was hell to wear, it's thick clothes with steel plates covering them.
But I'm sure if power armor became a thing, pretty much everyone would dedicate some of the power just for ventilation systems, because happy soldiers are willing soldiers.

But I said air condition and fluffy padding. In other words, more than necessary, things which go from practical to luxury.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Yeah, sorta noticed the edit in the middle of writing that post, but I was getting a bit incoherent after writing for a while, and decided to post anyway.

Actually, despite what people say, air condition isn't a requirement.
Even medieval plate armor was hell to wear, it's thick clothes with steel plates covering them.
But I'm sure if power armor became a thing, pretty much everyone would dedicate some of the power just for ventilation systems, because happy soldiers are willing soldiers.

But I said air condition and fluffy padding. In other words, more than necessary, things which go from practical to luxury.
Padding on that kind of armor is not optional. if you don't have it the motion of the armor causes massive chafing to the soldier inside, and after a single full day of wear they aren't going to be able to function effectively. and ventilation or other thermal management systems are again not optional. the medieval plate armor you're talking about was hell to wear, and it was primarily used in European countries, which are generally very cool and moist. there's a reason that they had to remove a lot of their armor during the crusades, it wasn't for comfort, it was because if they didn't they would quite literally collapse from the heat. ever been in 120+ degree weather?

power armor, especially in a space-age-setting, has every reason to have a fully-climate-controlled system with the ability to seal itself off from the outside temporarilly. ship boarding actions are going to have to deal with the ship's internal defenses, and since every spaceship that doesn't suck is going to have sealable bulkheads and internal climate control, they ARE going to be sealed in a room that is made as hostile to stay in as possible with the ship's standard systems. like by routing freshly heated engine coolant there, or venting the atmostphere, or attempting to deep freeze it. this is especially true if the boarder and boarded have differing native environments, with their comfortable tempature levels being extremely different, because then they don't even have to work hard or make it hostile to themselves to make it hostile to the boarder, just have some being from a desert planet turn the regular heater on and laugh as her opponents cook to death and she's simply a little warm.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

I never said padding was optional. I said fluffy padding was a luxury.
Well, I guess I'm wrong on the ventilation part, it is required.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never said padding was optional. I said fluffy padding was a luxury.
Just a misunderstanding, then.

3147. Third Millennium.
Fourth millenium. 0-999 was first, 1,000-1999 was second, 2000-2999 is third, 3,000-4,999 will be fourth.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:59:59 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Sorry for general delay, been fixing sleep schedule.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Sorry for general delay, been fixing sleep schedule.
About damn time, too.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kevak, what's taking so long? You should've fixed your sleep schedule by now.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dealing with irl stuff. Irl comes first. Patience.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I am away for a week, if you happen to start this in that time.

If not, well, best of luck with sorting your irl stuff out dude.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alrighty! Lets get this on the road. Gonna check which characters I haven't plopped in the OP yet and do so/state what needs fixing and then turn this into the OOC thread before making the IC thread.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Couple things need fixing with this.

Attractiveness
-Attractiveness 2
--Attractiveness 3
---Attractiveness 4: The peak of what can be achieved without going somewhere uncanny
This would be targeted towards specific species/mindsets. Physical attraction is very very very finnicky.

Autosanguine gland: Accelerates healing, closes and heals small wounds in minutes. Protected by tough, redundant flesh
-Regenerator organ: Nasty cuts healed in seconds, grizzly wounds or broken bones in minutes, and limbs regenerated in days. Quite taxing depending on level of injury. Protected by tough, redundant flesh
This is a military grade set of regeneration augs. You better have a daaamn good reason for them backstorywise or they're nixed.

Pheromonal gland: +/-1 when diplomancing humans
Pheromones don't work like that. Humans aren't responsive to pheromones because they flat out don't function in the biology or have any form of receptors

-Poisondrinker organ: Neuters effects of nearly all toxins, allows breathing of poisonous air, drinking fouled water, and eating most forms of biological matter without any ill effects. Protects from just poison too (+3)
No. Not even military grade would allow negation of Class 3 Hazardous Agents. Toxins are so heavily varied in function, makeup, and route of harm that you can't really negate them all.

Magnoadrenaline gland: Improved reaction speed (+/-1), keeps the body awake and at peak condition for hours on end, small chance of side-effects if used constantly (20% per three days of heavy usage)
-Mega-adrenal gland: Improves positive effects of magnoadrenaline (+/-1), magnoadrenaline needs to be used twice as long for chance of side-effects
This isn't how adrenaline works. Making an organ to amplify effects also doesn't work. That isn't how hormones work. Expect ODing very easily.

Biocoil (spine): Massive power generation and capacity (300/300, +50 every turn), improved reaction speeds (synergy with neural rewiring) (+/-1), grants magnetic levitation
Electromuscle: Increased electrical charge (synergy with biocoil and Physical stature/capability) (60/60, +10 every turn), can charge weapons and equipment even if not designed for that kind of energy-acquisition
-Electromuscle 2.0: Improved capacity and intensity of generated electrical currents and allows them to be projected at range (synergy with biocoil and Physical stature/capability) (20 metre ranged attack, 60/60, +10 every turn)
This makes exactly zero sense from a scientific perspective. Production of sufficient energy to fire a laser weapon via muscles alone would normally cause total destruction of biological tissue. Expect extreme levels of internal burns and scarring that cannot be healed from regen organs cause said organs will suffer the same levels of internal damage. That or nix it.

Brainpower: Bonus to everything that requires thinking (combat, diplomacy, strategic planning, etc. +2/-1) (synergy with Physical stature), provides no additional resistance to alcohol, mind attacks, etc.
Makes more sense to just have a computer lodged in your brain. Having a larger capacity to think is not = to intelligence relating to concrete things.

Nanoweave hair (~2.4m long): Made of biological nanoweave equivalent. Allows for fine manipulation of the hair as if they were tiny limbs. Capable of crushing medium armour if all hairs are used and length is kept
No. Hair and physical pressure do not work like that. Ya'd need something along the lines of strands the thickness of a forearm.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Attractiveness
-Attractiveness 2
--Attractiveness 3
---Attractiveness 4: The peak of what can be achieved without going somewhere uncanny
This would be targeted towards specific species/mindsets. Physical attraction is very very very finnicky.
Targeted towards humans.

Autosanguine gland: Accelerates healing, closes and heals small wounds in minutes. Protected by tough, redundant flesh
-Regenerator organ: Nasty cuts healed in seconds, grizzly wounds or broken bones in minutes, and limbs regenerated in days. Quite taxing depending on level of injury. Protected by tough, redundant flesh
This is a military grade set of regeneration augs. You better have a daaamn good reason for them backstorywise or they're nixed.
He's military (just don't tell the others). That's a good reason for having military grade augs, right?

Pheromonal gland: +/-1 when diplomancing humans
Pheromones don't work like that. Humans aren't responsive to pheromones because they flat out don't function in the biology or have any form of receptors
Ok.

-Poisondrinker organ: Neuters effects of nearly all toxins, allows breathing of poisonous air, drinking fouled water, and eating most forms of biological matter without any ill effects. Protects from just poison too (+3)
No. Not even military grade would allow negation of Class 3 Hazardous Agents. Toxins are so heavily varied in function, makeup, and route of harm that you can't really negate them all.
What's the max I can get, then?

Magnoadrenaline gland: Improved reaction speed (+/-1), keeps the body awake and at peak condition for hours on end, small chance of side-effects if used constantly (20% per three days of heavy usage)
-Mega-adrenal gland: Improves positive effects of magnoadrenaline (+/-1), magnoadrenaline needs to be used twice as long for chance of side-effects
This isn't how adrenaline works. Making an organ to amplify effects also doesn't work. That isn't how hormones work. Expect ODing very easily.
It's not how adrenaline works, but that's because it's not adrenaline. Magnoadrenaline is just a name. The mega-adrenal gland isn't to make the magnoadrenaline work better, it's to alter the body so that it's more receptive to the magnoadrenaline and can more easily make it a part of its natural biology. The name "mega-adrenal" is kind of confusing I guess.

This makes exactly zero sense from a scientific perspective.
There is a guy who exists across multiple timelines simultaneously that have a very real chance of touching each-other, all without getting into magic. There is literally a hulk of walking iron. We have a pack of sentient hive mind kittens. Being able to do something tangentially similar to what eels do seems...well not mild in comparison but it certainly seems to fit in.

Production of sufficient energy to fire a laser weapon via muscles alone would normally cause total destruction of biological tissue. Expect extreme levels of internal burns and scarring that cannot be healed from regen organs cause said organs will suffer the same levels of internal damage. That or nix it.
Daww, but I really wanted to play an electro-priest... :'( :'(

Brainpower: Bonus to everything that requires thinking (combat, diplomacy, strategic planning, etc. +2/-1) (synergy with Physical stature), provides no additional resistance to alcohol, mind attacks, etc.
Makes more sense to just have a computer lodged in your brain. Having a larger capacity to think is not = to intelligence relating to concrete things.
It helps him learn, it helps him with stuff he's learned, and it helps where learning by rote isn't as useful (solving puzzles, for example). Basically like an ordinary genius, except not to such a high level.

Nanoweave hair (~2.4m long): Made of biological nanoweave equivalent. Allows for fine manipulation of the hair as if they were tiny limbs. Capable of crushing medium armour if all hairs are used and length is kept
No. Hair and physical pressure do not work like that. Ya'd need something along the lines of strands the thickness of a forearm.
I don't understand. You say the hair wouldn't work like that and then go on to say that it can totally work if it's thick enough. Individually the hairs are nothing, but bunch them all up together and you get your forearm thickness pretty easily.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:55:51 pm by Andres »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7