Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29

Author Topic: Corruption Mafia - Game over! Outsider TheDarkStar wins!  (Read 48658 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Corruption Mafia - Night 5
« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2016, 07:07:12 pm »

The mindscape is cleaner now, but you are not safe yet.

Day six has started. It will go until ~4pm Pacific Friday.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: Corruption Mafia - Day 6
« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2016, 08:13:25 pm »

No new corruption.  Actions basically as expected, though I didn't catch anything new from TDS.

BHK's the only remaining player not to have visibly acted at the same time as scum, but has town-resembling flavour (though it may be that the scum can have town roles, as is common w/ Meph and as he was convinced earlier in the game).

Deus only works as scum in one of the following cases:
*Each scum has two actions per night.
*Deus himself has two actions per night, or some equivalent (can separately decide to corrupt one post and purify one post, for instance).
*The scumteam as a whole gets a free corrupt action each night (very unusual practice.  Also, who carries it out?  We know that matters).

N1 Post Changes:
#28-29 by Jack A T are Tainted
#32 by Persus13 is Tainted
#33 by OSG is Tainted
#34 by Jack A T is Tainted
#35 by BhK is Corrupted
#36 by DA is Clear
#38 by flabort is some form of red shading
Let's look at N1, flabort's night, again.  38 was clearly the source post for the tainting.  It was the only post to cover all of the tainted posts and, now that we know that Deus fully purifies, it's obvious the merely-cleared 36 (also quoted in 38) was hit as well.
If the damage was done through corrupting and pouring 38, this would mean three scum tainting actions were taken by two scum.
The pouring theory, though, does not work.  Why?  38 was red.  Pours occur after aspect changes, meaning 38 would have been normal if poured.
What else does the red mean?  It means that 38 was itself tainted or corrupted when TDS hit it.  Taint emanated from 38, and 38 itself was tainted or corrupted.  Conclusion: flabort's power was most likely to taint (or move one step towards corruption) a post (of his?) and the posts quoted within.

N1's explained in two scum actions, and the main theory that would need three is impossible.

If Deus is scum, either he has multiple actions per night or scum gets a free action as a team.  Either seems an unlikely mechanic, and the former would require a custom purifying role for the scumteam (really odd flavour-wise).

Most likely scum at this point: BHK.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 07, 2016, 11:50:05 pm »

Post editing last night:

352 was purified.
35 and 36 are normal.

And that's everything as far as I can tell. I attemped to make post 35 firebrick, but someone else must have acted on it at the same time.

BHK does seem like the most likely suspect for the scum since he still has not acted visibly different from the scum, but I'm going to read through the thread again. It will take a while, though - I'll have no Internet access for ~36 hours.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 07, 2016, 11:56:43 pm »

Post editing last night:

352 was purified.
35 and 36 are normal.

And that's everything as far as I can tell. I attemped to make post 35 firebrick, but someone else must have acted on it at the same time.

BHK does seem like the most likely suspect for the scum since he still has not acted visibly different from the scum, but I'm going to read through the thread again. It will take a while, though - I'll have no Internet access for ~36 hours.
Now there's no feasible way out of this one, barring Deus gamethrowing, but no shame in losing with these roles in play. So I'm going to fold my deck.

BHK.
Good game.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 08, 2016, 12:51:06 am »

Shorten.  Good game.

Never much liked winning this way, though.  Shouldn't be able to just procedurally slaughter the unconfirmed.

BHK: One question: You didn't really forget about scumchat all that time ago, right?
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 08, 2016, 12:52:25 am »

Shorten.  Good game.

Never much liked winning this way, though.  Shouldn't be able to just procedurally slaughter the unconfirmed.

BHK: One question: You didn't really forget about scumchat all that time ago, right?
I actually did forget.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 08, 2016, 03:52:34 am »

BHK, shorten.

I am a bit confused about you knowing the Flowing River's flavourtext though. Presumably the scum roles are altered town roles with similar flavour and actions?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 08, 2016, 09:33:25 am »

I am a Flowing River. Never lied about that.
Shorten.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 08, 2016, 11:00:03 am »

The Vote Tally
BlackHeartKabal: BlackHeartKabal, Deus Asmoth, Jack A T, TheDarkStar

BlackHeartKabal gives up, and can only shake his head sadly as you prepare to bar him from the mindscape. "You don't understand. Enlightenment...you're on the wrong path to it. What you see as corruption is simply the distilled truth of the Universe, and you are just not prepared for it. You fear we would stop you from reaching enlightenment, but you were never going to attain it. The only ones being stopped from attaining it are us!"

And with that you shut him out.

So few of you left, now, and there is the question of just what TheDarkStar wants.

There is a shuddering of the Mindscape. And waves of change that make the ripples from earlier seem like nothing.

The Mindscape turns red, a saturation of other.

TheDarkStar grins in a way you can somehow see, despite the Mindscape having no physical forms.

"This is better. This is *spice*. You will *enjoy the spice*. We will bring in others to *enjoy the spice* as well. We will *meld*."

At first you are simply confused, but then you can feel your essence being drawn into...whatever it is.

"All will be *one*"

And that's game! TheDarkStar wins!

I have to admit, this did not go at all how I thought it would when I planned it out. I figured there would be a ton of corruption flooding the game starting around day 3 or so, but that just didn't happen. But we can discuss that more once I've got everything laid out for you.

Corrupter Chat   
Dead Chat   

Here are the role PMs. Night Pms to follow in the next post.

Spoiler: Role PMs (click to show/hide)

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 08, 2016, 11:03:50 am »

Spoiler: Night 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Night 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Night 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Night 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Night 5 (click to show/hide)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corruption Mafia - Game over! Outsider TheDarkStar wins!
« Reply #415 on: June 08, 2016, 11:12:50 am »

So, my thoughts on the game.

Overall, it was interesting but disappointing. Partially because the corruption aspect didn't go as I thought it would, which made for a duller game that dragged on for a while. Also because the color spreading mechanic was interesting but ultimately made for a ton of work and pretty much no flavor to write, so it wasn't as much fun for me to run.

I'm not sure how much of the balance of the game is simply off, due to it being a new mechanic, and how much was due to the scum team not really putting in a bunch of work day 1 to figure out how the mechanics worked and how to best use them. BlackHeartCabal, for instance, decided to corrupt a post of his that wasn't full of quotes for him to pour into later. Nor did he ever use the Rain of Corruption ability. I'm not sure if he forgot about it or thought for some reason that was flabort's ability. Either way, I expected a few town to die starting day 3 when I was doing my test runs of the system, where the reality in this game was that only a few posts ever got past lightly corrupted.

Town did a very good job of piecing together the clues to how the mechanics worked and using that to their advantage. A bit faster than I expected, but you never really know how that is going to go.

TheDarkStar's Outsider role ended up OP. 3rd parties have a hard time winning games, so I had made it a bit easier on him. With almost no corruption at the end, I obviously made it too easy. I really should have had the coral and purple posts not count towards his victory but not count against him, rather than having everything with spice count as a victory. That probably would have been more interesting, since he'd then have been struggling to end up with the firebrick posts at the end instead of everything diluted with Purity the way it was.
Come play Mafia with us!

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 08, 2016, 11:32:05 am »

I'm not sure how much of the balance of the game is simply off, due to it being a new mechanic, and how much was due to the scum team not really putting in a bunch of work day 1 to figure out how the mechanics worked and how to best use them. BlackHeartCabal, for instance, decided to corrupt a post of his that wasn't full of quotes for him to pour into later. Nor did he ever use the Rain of Corruption ability. I'm not sure if he forgot about it or thought for some reason that was flabort's ability. Either way, I expected a few town to die starting day 3 when I was doing my test runs of the system, where the reality in this game was that only a few posts ever got past lightly corrupted.
Claiming Flowing River effectively ended my game, putting me between the choice of either not claiming and losing sooner, or claiming and being unable to operate as scum without raising an alarm. Deus and Jack were perfectly able to nullify my kills before I could pull them off, since pouring happens simultaneously and posts only kill at day start. I also couldn't quote en masse and create a feasible excuse. My last plan to force a joint with TDS was discarded after I realized that Deus and Jack could nullify my kill in one night.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 08, 2016, 11:36:12 am »

Yeah, after a while your hands were kind of tied. I was looking more into your day 1 and 2 actions, where you and flabort hadn't been really coordinating your actions very much. Even with falbort getting lynched day 2 you should have been in a position to kill off at least one of the town that night, but you weren't. You simply didn't have things set up to get any momentum, which let the town have enough time to figure out what to do.

If you'd been able to kill Jack, Deus, or Persus13 off Night 2 the game would have gone very differently, I think.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 08, 2016, 03:44:37 pm »

Huh.  Didn't expect that.  Meh.

I'm not sure how much of the balance of the game is simply off, due to it being a new mechanic, and how much was due to the scum team not really putting in a bunch of work day 1 to figure out how the mechanics worked and how to best use them.
Suboptimal scum play did not help, but the balance was way off anyway.
The new mechanic brought us a self-confirming self-protecting townie by D2, and we immediately started coordinating to prevent deaths at that point.

Even with falbort getting lynched day 2 you should have been in a position to kill off at least one of the town that night, but you weren't.
I can't see that.  At most, I can see them possibly being in a position where they could likely (but not surely) kill one townie.

Let's say the scum optimized N1, giving us 14 tainted posts D2.  Then flabort is lynched, removing much of the scum's ability to kill (ah, death spiral mechanics...).  Assume an optimizing wellspring/river combo, as we had D2.
*Spread among 5 players (3, 3, 3, 3, 2): nobody dies.  Town can prevent corruption of enough posts to ensure nobody hits three corrupted posts.
*Spread among 4 (4, 4, 3, 3): nobody dies.  Town can prevent corruption of enough posts to ensure nobody can hit three corrupted.
*3 (5, 5, 4): 1 death at most.  Town can prevent only two players from reaching three corrupted.  If BHK has the right post to hit three unguarded posts on the underprotected player, he gets a kill.
*2 (7, 7): 1 death at most, but more likely.  Town can protect one player, and BHK is more likely to have the right post to hit the unprotected.
*1 (14): Unless BHK's ridiculously unlucky and manages to not have sufficient unprotected posts quoted, there will be one death.
Pooling firepower to corrupt a few posts N1 would, up to the point of corrupting three of a player's posts N1, only make it easier to save players: less posts to protect.

With these assumptions, to guarantee hitting the right unprotected quotes, if not already possible, would require a quite suspicious looking (in D3 hindsight) post of quotes.
Now add TDS's active anti-corruption work, and the scum's chance of killing N2 drops again.  BHK could have guaranteed against wellspring/river protection.  He couldn't have guaranteed against the unknown anti-corruption threat as well.  Add OSG, and the chance drops more.

Now, if the rain of corruption worked as I'm guessing it did, they could have killed a couple players N1 by awkwardly quoting and raining the same posts.  That would have looked quite odd, and the ability would disappear with flabort's death.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 08, 2016, 03:53:33 pm »

True, it probably wouldn't have worked out great, but I still expected to see an attempt for it. There was also fillipk's magnification effect, which could have killed him off early perhaps.

Flabort dying was the biggest problem, since the Gnawer of Roots was a hard counter to the Purify/Pour ability of the town. You guys are going to Pour out post #x? Oh, look, all the quotes have been deleted, it goes nowhere.

So there was a bit too much of a lynchpin effect on Flabort.

Would have been better as a 12/13 player game, I think. 3 Scum could do a lot more and be less vulnerable than a 2 man scum team to an early lynch.

Well of Corruption could also stand a buff. Rain of Corruption was hands down the more useful ability. I think having Well of Corruption be able to be used on any Quoted post instead would have made it more useful. That way you could hit someone with a full corruption post to finish them off and have it less obvious how it happened.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29