Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dining Rooms  (Read 1041 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dining Rooms
« on: April 23, 2016, 02:45:19 pm »

Does anybody know if there's even a point to having these anymore? I made a large, extravagant dining room for my dwarves in my first .42 fort, but all of them are basically ignoring it in favour of the tavern, which is much, much smaller.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Dining Rooms
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 02:53:56 pm »

The separation of guest facilities and fortress facilities is definitely wonky right now.  I think Dwarves still prefer using the closest available room, so having separate living & dining areas down near your mines and magma is still a good idea.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:23 pm »

I have such a setup, that dwarves wanting to go to the tavern must go through the dining room (which also has a waterfall). No one is dining in the tavern. Only dwarves in the tavern are socializing, or whatever they do there. It's a dry tavern, so they drink elsewhere, too. Dwarves still have good thoughts from the legendary dining room, so it's worth it. Dwarves apparently select the place (seat+table) closest to the point where they acquired their food, so if the dining room is closer to the food storage than the tavern, they will be eating in the dining room.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 03:26:02 pm »

Well, if you don't put any tables in your tavern and just leave it as a performance hall, you might get some mileage out of it.  As for why you shouldn't just leave extra room for a dance floor to the side of the tables... aka a complete tavern? Not really one, no.  Taverns can completely replace dining rooms.  If you want to decentralize things, you can have several, smaller dining rooms spread out throughout your fort, then just one big tavern near the entrance you can.  Or you can make a couple small taverns as well, but make them citizen-only and leave the big one for everyone.

Personally, I see no point to separating them.  I will make smaller citizen-only taverns spread out throughout my fort, though.  Near the mines is one, near the caverns is one, near my forges is one... They are all small and I really wish I could move one of the two-thousand entertainers that won't to perform in my main tavern to the satellites, but that bug hasn't been fixed yet.  I really hope Toady gets around to fixing that "can't ever assign residents/naturalized citizens to positions" bug.  The only thing we can do to them is put them in the military, but never as a captain. Hilariously, long-term resident performers will even stop performing when you grant them citizenship- and you can never reassign them to it. 

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 03:28:43 pm »

Well, in my current fortress design for this new fort I'm making I think I'll just amalgamate the dining room and tavern into one, since I'm making quite the large tavern for them with full service.

Thanks for the tip on citizen performers. I'll never give the bards citizenship, then.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 03:41:43 pm »

I thought that you couldn't assign new citizens to positions because they are permanently in the position - meaning it's more accurate to say you can't remove them.  If this isn't the case then I don't really know what difference it makes - all of my new citizens have continued to do exactly what they did as residents, except that now they can haul, craft and be assigned to squads.

As for dining rooms, with the new taverns I made a fort with the tavern assigned from a meeting area with plenty of tables and chairs rather than from an actual dining room.  At one point I noticed that most or all of my dwarves had the "crowded table" negative moodlet and none of them had the "legendary dining room" positive moodlet.  I made one of the tables a dining room and assigned the room to the tavern (essentially overlapping the two areas) and the situation reversed itself within a few game months.  It's possible there was more going on there than just that, but I now make my taverns from both designations and at least that aspect is working just fine.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 05:09:34 pm »

I think Niddhoger confuses a couple of different bugs/issues:
- Petitioned and accepted visitors->residents->citizens are permanently assigned to a fortress location entity, so you can't assign them to competing locations.
- Mercs can never lead a squad: only take positions 2-10. This is compounded by the fact that mercs only petition for residence, but never for citizenship.
- Performers and sages actually harvest and trade as residents. When they become citizens you can at least give them professions with Dwarf Therapist and they CAN lead squads.

I can't say I've seen performers enact more performances than idle citizens. They're just as likely to listen/watch as to participate, for instance. The reason they spend less time in the tavern when employed is simply that they work more.