Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Queen and Colony  (Read 4891 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Queen and Colony
« on: April 23, 2016, 01:18:29 am »

"The Queen is dead. Long live the Queen."

With that proclamation, you were by all rights the one true ruler of your people, a noble broodmother and leader of the colony. With your predecessor deceased and all other claimants neutralised, your rule was assured. Now, you were the hive queen, she who plays with the lives of thousands. With a command, a whole generation would be birthed or slaughtered. With a click, a vibrant forest could be planted or burnt to ash. To be ruler was in effect to be a god to one's subjects, to be their saviour and their captor. And yet, a thought lingered in your mind: how long could you keep it? Traitors were always a possible risk and foreign forces could always rally against the colony, laying waste to one's empire. Even if such fates were avoided, how could one avoid the inevitability of disease and hunger? One could not kill a plague or build a wall against the most basic of needs.

Of course, such problems could and would be dealt with at a later time. For now there were festivities to attend and rituals to perform. For a time, it was best to bask in the glory and the respect of your subjects. One could leave the inanities of the world till tomorrow, at the very least.

Yet another suggestion game, this time as a leader of a colony! Choose from the options below and the game proper will begin.

Coronation Name: What you were known as before your ascension is unimportant and best left to the historians. What have you chosen to be known by?
Faith: Religion is a unifying and at the same time, disruptive force in any nation. Yours is no different. While you close advisors may have foreign beliefs, Your people will for the most part adhere to the Ancestral Faith.
  • Ancestral Faith: the worship of one's ancestors and spirits, the Ancestral Faith is known by many names and each community has their own set of beliefs and practices. The Ancestral Faith consists of the original beliefs of all members of the species, both new and old. By the tenets of this Faith, the Queen is enshrined as a divine representative and few commoners would dare go against their living god. Members of the Faith are usually tolerant of other beliefs, as long as their lives are not impacted. No unified clergy exists and to even call it a religion is tenuous at best.
  • Cult of the Moon and Stars: An exotic mystery religion, the Cult was long ago brought to the Land by the Moth monks from across the seas. Spending much of their time in secluded monasteries, the cultists are seen as both very wise and very mysterious by the common people. To a ruler such as yourself, the Cult is a wild card being rich in knowledge and yet not completely obeying your divine personage. While the exact tenants of the faith is kept secret, all know that its members seek enlightenment and often study the stars. A ruler loyal to this religion is not unheard of but is very rare.
  • Solarianism: The faith of the Scarab invaders, adherents praise the sun as god incarnate with all other spirits subordinate to it. Despite their relative rarity amongst the species, most theologians are aware of what the Scarabs believe in due to the near-endless tide of missionaries that ravish the land and leave it covered in pamphlets (thankfully, most of your subjects are illiterate). Often, these annoyances are punished or martyred, as the foreigners prefer to call it. Every now and then, a local does convert to the faith, conducting the ritual of Observance and Submission. As a foreign faith that is considered by most to be heretical, Solarians are seen as misguided at the very least and evil at the worst. This said, more than a few have noticed its adherents possessing the ability to perform miracles, which has earnt the begrudging worship of more than few people.
  • Church of the Father: A very new faith, the Church is associated very clearly with the Soft Ones, a race of people who are to the man, extremely squishy. Lacking an exoskeleton or the proper organs, this race relies on the use of tools for much of its needs to such an extent that they cannot even speak in the same language as the people. Instead, they must write to be able to speak to anyone, which has limited their communication with the lower class. As such, knowledge of what exactly they believe in is lacking amongst the land's scholars although a major tenant seems to be the worship of a single deity. Not as zealous as the Scarab-martyrs, the Soft Ones instead prefer to sell their tools. To even consider conversion to this faith would be seen as...unfortunate. However, a stronger relationship with the Soft Ones could do much to cement one's power. 
Specialty: Each colony is proficient in a certain profession or has access to a useful resource. Choose one from below.
  • Favoured Caste: The colony has better-than-average members of this caste. Choose a name and a short description of what they do.
  • Technological/Magical Proficiency: The colony has better-than-average comprehension of a certain technology or method, so much so that no other colony can best them at it. Such proficiencies are limited to the real world's 16th century or equivalent.
  • Resource Abundance: The colony is lucky enough to have large amounts of a certain resource.
  • Manufacturing Proficiency: The colony is skilled in producing a certain product.
Vizier: Your closest and most loyal follower, the vizier will advise you in all things. Describe the vizier and give it a name.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Queen and Colony
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 01:38:31 am »

*Cracks Knuckles*

Coronation name: C'leek Wix

Faith: Cult of the Moon and Stars, let's go for a nice philosopher matriarch

Specialty: Manufacturing Proficiency, extremely proficient at creating Digging equipment, for much greater facilitation of earthmoving and agriculture

Vizier: Nestrana Tul, A wizened old crone, personal friend of our Queen, looked after her since her hatching.  Also very experienced in the ways of the colony, and even traveled some in her youth
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:37:59 am »

Bump.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 10:43:32 am »

*Cracks Knuckles*

Specialty: Manufacturing Proficiency, extremely proficient at creating Digging equipment, for much greater facilitation of earthmoving and agriculture

Vizier: Nestrana Tul, A wizened old crone, personal friend of our Queen, looked after her since her hatching.  Also very experienced in the ways of the colony, and even traveled some in her youth

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 02:48:49 pm »

Coronation Name: Chli-pou-kan

Faith: Cult of the Father, our faith in it is superficial, we adhere to it to achieve better deals with the Soft Ones

Speciality: Amazonian Caste Unique to our Hive of Chli-Pou, the Amazonians are purely bred for war. They excel in it, every aspect of it. Being able to emit Pheromones that cause panic in others of the people, they are however mostly known for their slave raids. We regularly hire them out as Mercenaries to other hives, with out Good Relations with the Soft Ones we recently discussed the possibility of augmenting them with Soft One Tools.

Vizier: 13e and 3s of the Amazonian and Shaper caste respectively. 13e is ancient for the standards of the people, the only reason she has not joined her long deceased broodkin on the compost heaps is that her mind is still sharp. Well versed in every trick in the book in regards to how the people wage war she will propably serve generations yet to come.

3s in turn is of the Shaper Caste. A hive always has only one of them, overseeing the modification and change of the caste according to the needs to the people, 3s is obviously the third of his kind in Chli-Pou. Considered a radical among other members of his caste (that is those of other hives) he is supportive of the addition of soft one tools to the caste system.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 02:58:41 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 03:41:37 pm »

*Cracks Knuckles*

+1

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 11:21:32 pm »

With the festivities over, reality sets over you. The court once again begins its dance and the peasants once more returns to their daily duties, albeit slowly and drunkenly. Of course, for your life would never be the same and hopefully your new reign would be long enough for you to enjoy it as today was not an enjoyable day.

Today was your first briefing, the day you would learn how the kingdom fares and how you could potentially improve it. As you would expect from your predecessor, she had more than a few secrets some of which your councilors have unhappily divulged.

To begin the meeting, Your trusted advisor Nestrana Tul offers you her knowledge of the demesne and its inhabitants.

"The realm is as you would expect, my queen. Our surface lands are small and for the most part uncultivated. While several settlements have been established to produce crops, much of it is woodland and a dangerous one at that. Though labourers often journey to the surface for lumber, we maintain no permanent operations above. As I recall, your predecessor prohibited such operations after our  beloved neigbhours decided to raze them. Truth be told, we've never been able to control our surface lands and the hinterlands might as well be independent. In fact, there are more than a few breeder-traitors above, some who even call themselves queens. I would suggest putting a stop to such stupidity, hopefully soon."

Tul stepped back and allowed the realm's elderly spymaster, Lord Karthos to speak. A rarity in the colony, he has spent nearly all his life aboveground and his ascension to the royal council is a tale often told by local storytellers. Of course, Karthos himself has never been one to bask in the glory, preferring action despite his elderly frame.

"Yes, yes..Tul shows our problems quite well. My dear queen, the surfacelands might as well not be ours! Bandit-fools lurk in our forests and Queen Nyz Osk and Queen Luz Vy war with each other in the south, using our valleys to wage their wars. Their colonies have always been at odds with each other because of the damned amber forests on their borders. Far too attractive, you see. We'd probably want a piece of those too if it weren't for the mountains on the surface and wyrms in the caverns. From what my friends have been telling me, our border settlements aren't too happy with their homes being razed each time a warhost comes through."

"Oh and yes...there is a little problem in our north. One of the moth monasteries has gotten uppity of late; its been receiving tribute from the surrounding settlements, settlements which are yours, I might add. As you well know, the monks aren't an easy opponent to deal with but we cannot allow them to take away our land!"

Tul speaks oncemore. "As you can see my queen, our surfacelands must be secured. Although Lord Kathos paints a sad image, one must always remember our vast underground kingdom which makes up most of our territory. Our tunnels extend miles deep into the mountains with our fungal fields and aphid ranches supplying our hive and even beyond our realm. T hough their warriors often steal from us, Nyz Osk and Luz Vy often send traders to our farmers, enriching us. We even have a few copper mines and rock quarries which continues to supply our craftsmen. We are however, bordered by our warring neighbours to the south and the daimos of the Ashikuti Shogunate to the north. Unlike our surfacelands however, our soldiers have secured the tunnels and our outlying settlements rarely see foreign troops. That said, wyrms sometimes tunnel into our kingdom and as you know a hungry wyrm is difficult to deal with."

Your personal priest, Shinvo The Illumined, simply watches from the corner of the room, content with his meditation.

Spoiler: The Colony (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:23:20 pm by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 12:15:13 am »

We need more info about the two warring colonies.  We can't, and probably shouldn't, crush them, just put them in a position where our resources are necessary for their survival.  That way we can indirectly control them, and then hit em hard when necessary.  Ask Lord Karthos to begin sending spies/scouts to Nyz Osk and Luz Vy's territories, get a clearer picture on their forces, resources, territories, and especially weaknesses.  Do the same to the Ashikati Shogunate.

Let's have our queen personally go to the moth monastery, with our personal priest in tow.  A closer look at this religion would be ideal.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:08:10 am »

Let's have our queen personally go to the moth monastery, with our personal priest in tow.  A closer look at this religion would be ideal.

It is likely bad form to go sauntering off away from the castle/hive/whatever right away after becoming queen. Also, we are the same religion as them, so this problem should be an easy solve. If anything, our spymaster's hostility towards them is a red flag against the spy master.

Invite the moth monks to our place for some meditation and peaceful exchange of wisdom. I'm guessing we are underground, so inform them that we would like a briefing on recent occurrences in the stars. Also mention your adherence to the faith, and casually mention that you are disappointed with the current unenlightened state of your court. This should at the very least draw some of the more politically motivated monks, hopefully including the ones behind the idea of demanding tribute from our villages.

Spend some time with each member of the Royal Council. Get to know them, their skills, and their biases.

We need more info about the two warring colonies.  We can't, and probably shouldn't, crush them, just put them in a position where our resources are necessary for their survival.  That way we can indirectly control them, and then hit em hard when necessary.  Ask Lord Karthos to begin sending spies/scouts to Nyz Osk and Luz Vy's territories, get a clearer picture on their forces, resources, territories, and especially weaknesses.  Do the same to the Ashikati Shogunate.

I agree with your short term actions, so +1 to what you have in bold. I'm leaning towards picking a side, helping them win, and gaining an ally and some spoils.

---

Find out what is on our eastern and western borders. We only know north and south.

Get a breakdown of our population by caste/profession.

It sounds like we have a surplus of food, and we can convert some farmers into soldiers.

We might as well exploit our specialty, and start digging some exploratory tunnels in an unexplored direction if we have extra manpower.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 02:59:31 am »

((Rest will come later; only got this for now.))

Ask Lord Karthos to begin sending spies/scouts to Nyz Osk and Luz Vy's territories, get a clearer picture on their forces, resources, territories, and especially weaknesses.  Do the same to the Ashikati Shogunate.

As luck would have it, Karthos already has a few contacts in their lands and presents what seems to be dossiers on all three realms. You can only assume what else Karthos knows.

Spoiler: Nyz Osk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luz Vy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Ashikati Shogunate (click to show/hide)

You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 03:43:13 am »

Before you post the rest of the turn, just a few quick setting questions:

1. What properties does the amber sap have?

2. What is a cicada, in the context of this world?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 03:44:20 am »

Hrmm... I'm disliking this Lord Karthos more and more. Karthos suggests we trust Osk, who is trying to steal our breeders, and fight Vy who likely needs our services considering her tunnel issues. According to the dossier, the only thing Vy is guilty of is attacking Osk for her amber, which is something Lord Karthos suggests we would have done if we could.

I'm not going to formally suggest anything until I see the whole turn, but I'm strongly leaning towards constantly sending Lord Karthos on missions, and keeping the bugger far from our court.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 03:49:11 am »

Some leverage definitely wouldn't hurt; let's get our vizier on that as soon as possible.  He's too useful right now to get rid of completely.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 11:27:50 pm »

Invite the moth monks to our place for some meditation and peaceful exchange of wisdom. I'm guessing we are underground, so inform them that we would like a briefing on recent occurrences in the stars. Also mention your adherence to the faith, and casually mention that you are disappointed with the current unenlightened state of your court. This should at the very least draw some of the more politically motivated monks, hopefully including the ones behind the idea of demanding tribute from our villages.

Though it takes some time for your messengers to arrive, the monks are able to quickly reply, mostly due to their wings. The messenger is seemingly a novice-in-training rather than an actual monk, as signified by the yellow sash he wears. While he apoligises for his masters' absence, he explains that most of the monks are currently busy studying a new omen in the stars, something which you your priest corroborates with. In their stead, he has come to explain the monastery's new findings, principally the yellow comet that has caused an uproar in the clergy.

As an educated member of the Cult you know quite well that such a sight can only mean good luck but as all cultists are taught, one must always know that good luck for one man is bad luck for another. Still, it seems odd to you that the monks would care so much that they would flaunt royalty. Questioning further, the novice explains that the comet's trail is extremely strange. Unfortunately, the monks would not tell him more and that if Her Majesty wished to learn more she would have to wait until the monks had finished their deliberations. Profusely apoligising, the novice has promised you that the monks intend to keep a permanent delegation in the colony for your use, should you need it...after they finished dealing with the omen.

As for the tributes, the novice explains that the tribute was necessary to maintain the monastery and due to the succession conflict that had been taking place, they had been unable to secure permission. While villagers often gave some donations to the monks, they had never done so to this extent and Tul is well aware of that. Questioning further, the novice admits that members of the 'Closed Fist' school of the Cult had recently joined the monastery.

Shinvo immediately jolts towards the novice as he mentions this. "The Fist? They have the nerve to come to this realm, so close after their shaming by the Empress?! By what reason do you tolerate them and their heretical beliefs?"

The novice, seemingly unaware of who the Fists are, simply stutters about the masters letting them stay and that he doesn't know why.

Of course, you know who the Closed Fists were, how could you not? The Cult had always promoted diversity of thought and the Closed Fists were simply one of many schools that cultivated martial prowess amongst its members. It also called for the redistribution of power in society as well as a great deal of other things that would cause total anarchy. Four queen-reigns ago, they had launched a brazen attack on the Empress' hive itself and barely lost. Scattered to the wind, they had been thought destroyed. You also found it especially odd that they would demand tribute so close  to the Imperial Territory itself.

Spend some time with each member of the Royal Council. Get to know them, their skills, and their biases.

Your Royal Council is somewhat smaller than your predecessor. After all, six of them had died in the succession war, two of them for the position of broodqueen. Of the survivors, only Karthos has remained, supposedly to continue your predecessor's edicts and ensure the survival of the colony. Shinvo and Tul were your personal advisors even during the last queen's reign and so now continue to serve.

Karthos is a legend amongst the commoners. A surfacelander born to a small-time breeder in the hinterlands, he would have probably lived a life as a farmer or logger were it not for his act actions during the Jot Crisis. In the later years of Queen Jot's (your predecessor's predecessor) reign, it had become clear to all that she had gone quite mad. By law, her Royal Council would rule in her stead until her death. In actuality, the claimants began the succession conflict years before her death. Through intrigue and careful manipulation, Karthos steadily rose through the ranks of a claimant's faction, eventually betraying her for your predecessor, all the while ensuring the hive itself stayed intact throughout the war. For ensuring that only the elites died during the conflict, Karthos has earned the respect of many.

As a councillor, you know that Karthos has been trusted with espionage and foreign relations for decades; his knowledge of intrigue is invaluable and crossing him is likely a quick way to lose your throne. Some have said that Karthos would make a great ruler were he a breeder, a few have even postulated that Karthos could betray the colony and turn it over the Shogunate; he clearly has the influence to at least try. However, those who know the man have all stated that he's far too loyal to the colony and the court to try it. Supposedly.

Karthos has always had a soft spot for the surfacelands, advising your predecessor to continue development above, rather than below. He has had little success save for those settlements in the border regions. Nearly everyone is aware of Karthos' surfacer bias, which has stymied his popularity amongst the elite.

Your loyal advisor Nestrana Tul, like Karthos, comes from common stock, having been born in a tunnel-breeder's nest. While ostensibly an aphid-rancher, the life never suited her and she ran away before her 15th year to explore the land. This of course made her a criminal to the colony and she spent a long time running away from the colony's enforcers and in that time running she learnt to appreciate the places she passed by. Around her 30th year, she returned home, seemingly ready for punishment. Bemused, your breeder-mother picked her for herpersonal retinue, as an entertainer. Through conversation, she soon found that she was far more interesting than she could ever imagine and remarkably intelligent for a tunnel-worker caste. She has been part of your retinue since your hatching and advises you in all things. She also makes a decent aphid honeydew tea.

As a councillor, Tul is well versed in the ways of administration, court gossip and understanding foreign cultures. The last has unfortunately has seen little use, seeing as you are ruling in the race's heartlands.

Tul always acts motherly to those below her and respectully distant to those above. Of course, she treats you as more a friend than superior behind closed doors.

The priest Shinvo always gets a few odd glances from the colony's populace, being a moth who speaks the local tongue and wears the local garb. Shinvo has never been one to explain his life to anyone, even you, seeing it as information that would 'cloud the path to truth'. Still, his age has always been a concern for you. As you know, monks commit ritual suicide via immolation or 'reaching the stars' in their old age, so as to give their next life a better chance at enlightenment. As an orthodox member of the clergy, Shinvo would have been expected to follow through with it by now. You have sometimes suspected that Shinvo isn't the most pious monk, but a few outbursts here and there (to royalty, no less) has shown otherwise.

Shinvo, to your knowledge, has little to say beyond relgious matters. A good teacher of the Cult's tenants but little else. Supposedly, Shinvo came from a northern monastery, one he left some forty years ago. Shinvo is good friends with the local diviners and priests, or at least good enough acquaintances to join in their rituals.

Find out what is on our eastern and western borders.

Tul quickly produces a map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Empress' territory is to your immediate west, while the Shogunate extends further east, stopping at the coast.

Get a breakdown of our population by caste/profession.
Tul reminds you that census information can be notoriously inaccurate at times and that it would be difficult to obtain knowledge on all breeders, especially those on the surface. Regardless, she has tried.

It sounds like we have a surplus of food, and we can convert some farmers into soldiers.
How many would you like to convert?

We might as well exploit our specialty, and start digging some exploratory tunnels in an unexplored direction if we have extra manpower.

While the territories around you are nominally claimed by other powers, you know quite well that what's written in a book is not always true. As such, you order labourers to begin tunnel operations to the north and east. It will take some time for them to report back.

1. What properties does the amber sap have?

2. What is a cicada, in the context of this world?

1. Amber sap by itself is simply a material used for decoration; beautiful but without intrinsic worth. Using a few chemical reactions, the sap can however be made into durable yet elegant armour and weaponry prized by society's elite. Unlike metals which can be exhausted, the amber can be sustainable harvested and even grown. However, those who control the sap rarely wish for competing groves to exist, meaning that the tree is rarely transplanted.
2. Cicadas are the bane of all, gigantic creatures who sleep for centuries only to emerge from their chambers to begin their breeding cycle. Once awakened, a cicada continously screams, eventually killing all those who hear it via blood loss. Even if someone were to attack the creature, its tough skeleton protects it from most attempts and only makes the creature scream louder. There is no known way of surviving its screams besides getting far enough. A week after emerging from the ground, it will search for a safe place to molt. It is during this time the cicada is vulnerable and can be easily dealt with, if its den can be found. Cicada husks are prized for their durability.

Spoiler: The Colony (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:35:34 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: [1] 2 3