Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Psychology Treaty  (Read 1025 times)

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Psychology Treaty
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:52:38 am »

On the DF Suggestions I suggested the chance to have an executioner and gallows, with public executions to bring justice to criminals and pow, and also bring peace and relief to the families of the victims. And then LMeire replied me that I´m just seeing thing from human perspective, that dwarves will be happy just when things are over and they can get back to work.
That simple sentence just blew my mind and make me see dwarves in a total different way.

I can almost see them working meticulosly just minding their own even with blood splatter all around them, or having lost a relative or friend a few minutes ago. You know, maybe feeling horrified, or sad but in a different way, still being able to get along
That makes me wonder about general dwarven psychology and how they relate to the world and with each other in comparison to humans.
Do they love, hate, fear, dream or build thoughts the same way as we do? There should be a DF Dwarven Psychology Treaty
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Psychology Treaty
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 03:36:47 pm »

I don't think that's the case at all. I mean, your basic dwarf in other works is a stereotypical Celt with blood feuds and greed. Even then, our own dwarves have always (outside of buggy releases) felt long term effects from the bad shit going on around them. It's only thanks to the current issues with psychology that we have all the apathy going on.

Though I don't think executions are really going to fix things either. They'll probably make them worse as psychology gets fixed up. Family members of the executed are going to start going after the local government for the killing, and it'll just snowball from there. At least initially. Once strategy takes a seat in the dwarven mind, no one would attack a strong government. Til then, I'd imagine executions would push people toward tantrums and killing sprees.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 06:35:08 pm »

One thing I think could be got from the RAWS is that Dwarves see themselves as components of a community, rather than individuals like humans. I take this from the fact that killing a fellow Dwarf is punished by death in all cases. Even self defense.

It seems that Dwarves can see no case in where they would sanely attack another Dwarf. To hurt another Dwarf is to hurt them all, because community is not individual Dwarves, they all depend on each other.

Humans on the other hand allow killing of their own kind if there is a good reason for it.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:02:57 pm »

One thing I think could be got from the RAWS is that Dwarves see themselves as components of a community, rather than individuals like humans. I take this from the fact that killing a fellow Dwarf is punished by death in all cases. Even self defense.

It seems that Dwarves can see no case in where they would sanely attack another Dwarf. To hurt another Dwarf is to hurt them all, because community is not individual Dwarves, they all depend on each other.

Humans on the other hand allow killing of their own kind if there is a good reason for it.
Interesting I was thinking the other day that some dwarf´s behavior make them look like they have a collective mind, and that psychologically they are closer to ants, or termites than to humans (if psychology is anything applicable to ants, that is)
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:13:03 pm »

I was of course comparing to how humans are represented in the game.
In real life though you can see how different cultures in humanity value the individual differently.

Western culture typically promotes individuality, it is acceptable to value your needs before that of others.

While in Eastern cultures there is generally more value on community. People place others before themselves.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite