Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Man O' War Corsair - Sailing adventure in Warhammer Fantasy.  (Read 3929 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Man O' War Corsair - Sailing adventure in Warhammer Fantasy.
« on: April 21, 2016, 12:30:58 am »

This game was announced a while back, but there was little to show of it at the time. As of this moment, there is more to talk about but the game is still early in development.

Players create their character, choosing gender and nationality (at the moment I think this can only be Independent) and embark on a ship with crew. Gameplay consists of sailing from port to port along the western coast of the Old World doing jobs for governors, trading goods, racing other ships and taking out raiders. Hazards on the high seas consists of Orc raiders, pirates from various human factions like the Empire and sea monsters like giant sharks. During combat you have control of ship movement as well as being able to fire broadsides. When boarded you can use your characters guns to fight back the invaders as well as board the enemy ship.

I think random events can occur as well because I remember in one video the player got attacked by zombies that clambered aboard their ship from the sea.

There are a few different ships to choose from at this time. Mostly Empire ones I think with lots and lots of cannons in prow and aft towers. This is one of the more interesting aspects of the game; being based on Warhammer the ship designs are quite bizarre. One ship has nothing but one huge cannon across the entire deck (think the grand bombards) which pushes the whole ship back when fired while Orc ships have giant claws on springs and ropes that latch onto ships and pull them into boarding range.

Link to the main Man O' War website.

Link to video series done by "SplatterCatGaming".

As for my own thoughts on the game. I haven't played it yet because it is in really early access. I think the version number is something like 0.0.2. The general opinion seems to be positive with people enjoying the gameplay and mechanics but I personally would hold off on buying it until development is further along and more features have been added.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:46:18 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man O' War Corsair - Sailing adventure in Warhammer Fantasy.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 03:56:56 am »

Oh wow, this really brings back memories of playing Pirates of the Caribbean and Age of Pirates series by Akella. Going to keep an eye on this one. I hope they'll expand the boarding actions, admittedly the way Assassin's Creed 4 does it is really fun.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 07:46:46 am »

The only major problem (Aside from lack of content) I've heard of is the optimization is pretty harsh and that you should turn things down till things are fixed in it. Though I am hopeful that this one will be decent.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:17:59 am »

I guess if Games Workshop gives out licenses out like crazy, they are bound to get some good games. I guess they just take way longer and after the initial wave of shit low-quality cheap mobile games we are finally getting tons of crazy awesome Warhammer games.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:52:36 am »

I've been watching this in Falcon's YT video.  It looks interesting and has potential.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 01:09:57 pm »

I wonder whether the developers will be able to implement the ships made for the short lived "Dreadfleet" tabletop game. That was more focused on one on one battles but the ship designs were neat.

Dwarfs had a huge ironclad, Vampire Counts had a ghost ship, Tomb Kings had an Egyptian style ship with a pyramid on top and Skaven had a giant dead sea monster.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 06:33:05 pm »

This is one of the more interesting aspects of the game; being based on Warhammer the ship designs are quite bizarre.

[...]

I wonder whether the developers will be able to implement the ships made for the short lived "Dreadfleet" tabletop game. That was more focused on one on one battles but the ship designs were neat.

Bah, Kids Today. Get off my forecastle! Are none of you old enough to remember what this is coming from? This isn't based on generic WFB, and it's certainly not based on Dreadfleet. It is, quite explicitly, based on Man O'War, and if they're pulling out Hulks, Hellhammers, etc., it sounds like they're churning through that game's numerous designs. I'll admit I'd rather see it get treated like Battlefleet: Gothic and be a fleet-based game like the original, but I suppose any treatment is better than none, and all told, Pirates: Old World is not the worst you could do...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »

It's like GWS is making up for 15 years of lost licensing opportunities. Not that I'm complaining.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 11:18:21 pm »

This is one of the more interesting aspects of the game; being based on Warhammer the ship designs are quite bizarre.

[...]

Bah, Kids Today. Get off my forecastle! Are none of you old enough to remember what this is coming from? This isn't based on generic WFB, and it's certainly not based on Dreadfleet. It is, quite explicitly, based on Man O'War, and if they're pulling out Hulks, Hellhammers, etc., it sounds like they're churning through that game's numerous designs. I'll admit I'd rather see it get treated like Battlefleet: Gothic and be a fleet-based game like the original, but I suppose any treatment is better than none, and all told, Pirates: Old World is not the worst you could do...

Yes, the game itself is based mostly on Man O' War tabletop. I meant more... some of the designs for the ships are a bit odd considering the later angle taken with the factions. Tzeentch have flying castles. Maybe most of the issue is the rather garish paintjobs the models were given when they were first released. Colourful, but they're very different from the later models done with a black undercoat.

I think Man O' War was made back when Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts were one Undead faction, yes? If so, because they now have different themes, the ships from Dreadfleet could be used as a basic for unique fleets for both factions.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 10:02:36 am »

Dwarfs had a huge ironclad, Vampire Counts had a ghost ship, Tomb Kings had an Egyptian style ship with a pyramid on top and Skaven had a giant dead sea monster.

Only problem is that Dreadfleet had CRAZY HUGE ships, the Vampire Counts Bloody Reaver wasn't a normal ship for example, it was a bunch of shipwrecks that formed a giant ship, inside of which was a Castle on a Small Mountain

Man O' War's ships are nowhere near that crazy size.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 01:57:35 pm »

Well. Black Arks, maybe. Those had models that didn't match their fluff size, even accounting for the "most of it's below the waterline" cop-out.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 02:02:57 pm »

Hmm that would be true, but at best it was just a small castle tower on a sea serpent right? Though I may be thinking of the Doomreaver and Death Castle, I mostly remember the Orc Ships and Dwarf.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 02:06:51 pm »

You're thinking Death Fortresses. Black Arks were the undersized seaborne cities that transported and deployed unlimited numbers of the Doom Reavers and Death Fortresses.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 02:15:46 pm »

Just found the rules online! Turns out it's not because they transported them, but because they have a literal magical  Beast-portal that can hold creatures in it.

Though it may have simplified that so that they didn't have to figure out all the situations of having beasts underneath a ship... Black Arks still are weird back then and I'm seriously curious how you would interpret that into modern day Fantasy. Since Black Arks are just big slave ships now right?

Also wow I had entirely forgotten how long ago these rules were made, this was back when Undead was a single faction before it split Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:18:20 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 04:23:50 pm »

Well, back then they were literally dark elven fortresses magically unmoored from their deepest foundations and set afloat - look on page 53 of the rules. I know that this was still canon when I stopped following GWS stuff, but that's been at least 10y if not 15y, so yeah... not sure if they've been retconned out of existence.

But anyway, the beast portal wasn't a portal in the sense that it summoned beasts, it was a portal in the more mundane sense insofar as it was the entrance/exit that released them from inside the "ship" - so yes, the models that were a quarter of the size of an Ark could fit in limitless quantities w/in them - or more specifically, in the caverns beneath the surface of the Ark. Ofc, Man O'War model sizes were in general screwy; all it took was one look at how big any given boat was in comparison to a shore fort.

But yes, Black Arks were weird. Man O'War in general would have made much more sense if they hadn't insisted on making each fleet radically different from each other, but this is GWS we're talking about, sooooo... Although if that had meant no Dwarven Ironclads or Chaos Dwarf missle cruisers, well, I can live with some weirdness...
Pages: [1] 2