Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cup Conga Line  (Read 2782 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cup Conga Line
« on: April 20, 2016, 12:01:13 am »

So maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed how a tavern will have, say, a maximum of 10 goblets/cups that they want, and you have an excess of goblets in your fortress, so your dorfs just keep taking cups out of the tavern to a stockpile, and then bring cups back to the tavern for no apparent reason?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Cup Conga Line
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:47:37 am »

There seems to be something twitchy with the locations right now, the mug dance in particular is pretty well known right now, as well as innkeepers/waitstaff giving people drinks until they die of alcohol poisoning.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 03:49:16 am »

The new locations are buggy in several ways.
- Storage of items in them is one such thing. You can also get everlasting hauling of instruments and quires, and written material do not even need a stockpile to generate "run up to me and touch me" jobs. You can kill most of these eternal hauling cycles by ensuring there are no stockpiles for their type of items (while is a pain with quires, since they go in the catch-all category of tools).
- Killer tavern staff, as mentioned by NullForceOmega, is a case of questionable balancing more than a bug (as I think alcohol deaths are intended, but the frequency is probably too high). That's worked around by not having any staff in taverns (performers don't perform more than patrons, but they kill with alcohol).
- Need satisfaction break burrow restrictions, so it's not unusual that a dorf you've FINALLY gotten to enter a burrow to take a drink (placed there to lure the bugger into the burrow), just waltzes out of it to go back to praying, socializing, or pondering (or even just stand rooted outside displaying "no job"). There are also reports of suicide dwarves who defy civilian alerts and go on a stroll to the invading enemy lines. It's speculated that may be satisfaction of the need to wander, but nothing has been proven.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 04:37:06 pm »

Yeah, if a dwarf gets off work closer to the cup stockpile than the tavern, they'll grab the cup from the pile and bring it to the tavern. This fits a more general pattern: sometimes a mason will grab stone close to his/her current location and then drag it all the way to the workshop.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 04:45:14 pm »

There are also reports of suicide dwarves who defy civilian alerts and go on a stroll to the invading enemy lines.

I can confirm I've definitely seen this. "What are you doing out there, Urist? Didn't you hear the alarm? No, you're going the wrong way, that's the way the invaders are coming from, the fort entrance is behind you.. seriously, turn around... great. Now you're the cause of several screenfulls of 'Urist McSensible cancels place item in tomb: forbidden area' spam. "
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:17:32 am »

Raise the limit of cups storable by the tavern.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:07:45 am »

Raise the limit of cups storable by the tavern.
Not a good idea. Tavern stored cups are reserved for patron poisoning, so most of the time the dorfs would get bad feelings about not drinking with a cup. It's particularly bad if no culling staff has been appointed. Go without a cup stockpile instead, and just let the dorfs grab the closest one when getting a drink.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 11:52:01 am »

So just leave cups lying all over the place? That sounds grand, and quite funny.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 03:15:11 pm »

I don't have that problem, despite having a stockpile with mugs only, and having a single bag with mugs in the tavern. Maybe it's because the stockpile is located in the tavern too, or maybe it's because the tavern is dry (no stupid inkkeepers). Anyway, what the dwarves (and long-term residents) do they usually go to the stockpile, pick the mug, go back to the beverage stockpile, drink, bring back the mug to the tavern's stockpile (not the bag) and go home. The tavern's bag has only 10 mugs, but I don't remember anyone using them.

Maybe it's because the beverage storage is closer to the mug stockpile? Or because it's size (21) is about the same as the number of unassigned mugs? But I don't have jobs "Bring item to stockpile" generated (related to mugs and the tavern's stockpile), even when there are empty places in it. And usually there are 2-4 places, because someone is just revelling.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:29:39 pm »

So just leave cups lying all over the place? That sounds grand, and quite funny.

This is exactly what I do.  I keep at least as many mugs as population, and no stockpile for mugs.  My drink stockpiles are littered with mugs, but the very beneficial side is there are always mugs in the exact places dwarves go to drink.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 08:52:56 am »

I place stockpiles for cups, food and booze next to all taverns, dining halls and refreshment stations (like near the lever controls for the entrance hall where I need to quickly control levers and lock a dwarf in for such tasks during those incidents, like when I'm getting a forgotten best locked in a small room just off the entrance hall for unleashing on the next goblin invasion).

Anyhow, the stockpiles of cups as well as a container for cups in the tavern seems to work well. Dwarfs seem to self serve and I've yet to see a alcohol poisoning.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 08:55:37 am »

I've seen a few dwarves get sick from too much alcohol and I've seen them get into fights in the tavern, most recently a militia captain beating the crap out of a legendary weaponsmith and breaking his foot, but the hospital was right next to the tavern so it was all good.