Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Shield User Training?  (Read 2532 times)

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
Best Shield User Training?
« on: April 19, 2016, 11:21:27 am »

Ok, so, I know that danger rooms are good for armor user, but what about shield user training? What's the best way to get a dorf to Legendary+5 shield user in the minimum time possible (exploits allowed)? Of all the skills that I know are important for military, this is the one that I haven't found a really good way to level up quickly.

Also, guessing that there may already be a discussion on this, so if someone just wants to leave a link for me...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Best Shield User Training?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 11:36:46 am »

Ok, so, I know that danger rooms are good for armor user, but what about shield user training? What's the best way to get a dorf to Legendary+5 shield user in the minimum time possible (exploits allowed)? Of all the skills that I know are important for military, this is the one that I haven't found a really good way to level up quickly.

Also, guessing that there may already be a discussion on this, so if someone just wants to leave a link for me...

Actually, the standard danger room is better for shield training than for armour user. I would expect (and usually see) Level 40 Shield before level 10 Armour. To learn Armour and Dodge before Shield you need to employ special tactics with danger room.

So question arises, how do you build and use a danger room, since you experience is apparently different?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:40:53 am »

I recall reading a post somewhere that giving dwarves only shields and telling them to bash people to death with them works really, really fast for levelling shield user. Might have been a different version or a mistake though.
One wheel short of a wagon

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 12:21:51 pm »

Ok, I actually haven't put my danger room in yet... previous forts have been a lot more... careful... about losing dwarves, I'm only just about to embrace the danger room (actually, upright spears are one of the things that my current minecart project will trigger), but when I just decided to say, "Oh, let's have fun with this!" I started looking around, and on the wiki it basically just talks about getting armor user out of danger rooms. So I assumed that I would need something else for shield user... so I asked! Thanks!

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 12:27:51 pm »

I know, I know, I'm only just now becoming a true Dwarf Fortress player... I wasn't willing to sacrifice dwarfs before, but don't worry, I am embracing it now!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 02:32:04 pm »

You will get mostly Shield (fastest), Dodger (slower than shield, but usually faster than the rest), Armor, skill with a weapon (hammers for marksdwarves). Maybe something more, which I don't remember. Once they are good with shield, they will barely use weapon to block though.

To train Armor User you may use a trick: schedule a team to defend a burrow, once they are there lock the door (you need at least 3 doors in succession, because they can dodge/unlock door up to 2 tiles from spears), change schedule to Inactive. This will cause the soldiers to revert to civilian roles, and they will strap weapons ad shields to their backs. Since then they will be training dodge and armour, but not shield or weapon. Except mercs that is, they will be trained as usual.

Of course with doors locked you need to monitor the guys for hungry/thirsty/drowsy statuses and unlock doors if necessary. Sleeping in a danger room is unsafe.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 07:33:48 pm »

What I do is do basic danger room training with full armor, then drop the shields to finish up Armor & Weapon faster.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 07:49:59 pm »

In 42.04, at least, wearing a cloak is key to preventing smashed ears and noses. All cartilage injuries are eventually fatal unless you mod in healing for that tissue.

To avoid having dwarves drop their shields in the danger room (and then other dwarves pick them up, risking injury), you can have them train armor first, then assign shields and/or weapons to them once armor is trained.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 09:22:11 pm »

I recall reading a post somewhere that giving dwarves only shields and telling them to bash people to death with them works really, really fast for levelling shield user. Might have been a different version or a mistake though.

Yeah that won't work. Bashing people with a shield trains the misc object user, not shield user.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:36:21 pm »

Put them in front of a hostile dragon in a pill box. You will want to start with several dozen dwarves. Those that aren't reduced to ashes are the keepers.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 10:26:16 pm »

I always mix up the training regimen when I want to switch what they're working on. When I want dodge/armour/weapon, I send them in without shields. When I then want shield user, I equip them with their shields and send them in again.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 12:03:47 pm »

Sleeping in a danger room is unsafe.

Worse yet, sleeping dwarves don't train armour, despite being hit every time. Learning during sleep? Never heard about.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 12:40:13 pm »

You can train swimming during sleep.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 12:55:50 pm »

I had hoped armour could be trained, because that would be ideal use of otherwise wasteful time. As for swimming, I do have a swimming racetrack, but never observed a dwarf falling asleep during training. That would be like sleeping on rollercoaster, so blasé.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 01:09:02 pm »

I had hoped armour could be trained, because that would be ideal use of otherwise wasteful time. As for swimming, I do have a swimming racetrack, but never observed a dwarf falling asleep during training. That would be like sleeping on rollercoaster, so blasé.
You wait until they fall asleep, then you flood their bedrooms with a little bit of water. It was discussed in the Trivial Findings and/or Dwarven Childcare thread.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2