Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Did you have any aquifer layers that didnt drain except the last one?

Yes.
- 1 (100%)
No.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Aquifer wont drain from stairs or channel on the second layer  (Read 1526 times)

Lioneez

• Bay Watcher
  • Challenged.
    • View Profile

Hello,
I was wondering why some aquifers wont drain on some layers(of course not being the last layer),
by using the double-slit method I was able to pierce the aquifer to the second layer which is right above the last aquifer layer, my problem is that the aquifer on the layer didnt drain into the last aquifer layer not from the stairs and not from a channel that I tried jest to see if it will drain than.

this is the context of each of the 3 layers of aquifer:
Layer 1: Damp red sand [Pierced & blocked water did drain from the stairs]
Layer 2: Damp loam wall [Pierced & blocked water wont drain into the stairs]
Layer 3: Damp rough-hewn Clay stone wall [Pierced but cant be blocked because water wont drain into it]

Can someone please tell me how am I supposed to fix this, the water on the second layer are only [2/7]?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer wont drain from stairs or channel on the second layer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:49:01 am »

Your problem is that no kind of clay supports an aquifer, so you've only got a two level aquifer, not a three one.

There are a couple of ways to recover:
- If you've done the normal double slit you'd normally be in the position that you've sealed off two or three out of 4 parts of the 2:nd (and lowest) aquifer level.
I'll assume you've done NW, NE, SW, and found you can't drain into SE.
Turn the pump around again, and drain the W side into the E one (at the S end). Remove one of the painstakingly installed wall segments at the SW side to reopen a drain. Turn the pump around and "seal" the SE side as you would normally have done with the 3:rd (SW) one, i.e. leaving one isolated drain tile.
Turn turn the pump around again and reinstall the removed wall segment to the SW. Done (you've got some extra water in the staircase a the 3:rd level, but that can be spread and drained).
- Use a Portable Drain, i.e. instead of draining into an aquifer, you drain into a mine cart on top of a track stop set to dump into the wall. The two tiles beside the track stop (the NE slit and the eastern of the two middle norther tiles) should be walls to prevent leakage. At the end you'll end up with 5/7 water in the DP tile that will pour out as you remove the walls and the screw pump. Turn the pump around and set up your DP at the SW end instead.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:20:36 am »

Your problem is that no kind of clay supports an aquifer, so you've only got a two level aquifer, not a three one.

the person said claystone
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 12:48:18 pm »

Somewhat sloppy reading I admit, but clay stone doesn't support an aquifer either, according to the wiki (which logically should be the case: clay, not supporting an aquifer shouldn't start to do so when compressed further).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 01:09:55 pm »

I think you can bucket brigade out the remaining 2/7 water

Lioneez

• Bay Watcher
  • Challenged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 01:39:48 pm »

Well I didnt knew that loam walls dont support aquifers, so I will remember that in future forts but when I checked with DFhack reveal command around the 2 layers of loam wall their description was "dump" and they flickered in a blue color.
Anyway I managed to deal with it, but anyway I am 100% that the 2 loam layers were dump and when I channeled them as I stated before I made the mess with the water they filled anyway, remember the section where the water was [2/7], I closed it off so I would have access to stone faster.
Anyway the idea with the buckets is also good to check if that layer was an aquifer, too bad I didnt do that back than.
Thanks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 01:46:54 pm »

Well I didnt knew that loam walls dont support aquifers, so I will remember that in future forts but when I checked with DFhack reveal command around the 2 layers of loam wall their description was "dump" and they flickered in a blue color.
Anyway I managed to deal with it, but anyway I am 100% that the 2 loam layers were dump and when I channeled them as I stated before I made the mess with the water they filled anyway, remember the section where the water was [2/7], I closed it off so I would have access to stone faster.
Anyway the idea with the buckets is also good to check if that layer was an aquifer, too bad I didnt do that back than.
Thanks.
Hold on!
LOAM supports aquifers. It's clay that doesn't. Also note that there are a number of silty crapetycrap soil types that do indicate from their names that they are clay, sand, or both, but actually are neither (probably too contaminated by silt to be usable), and I think all of them support aquifers. I always consult the wiki when checking if a layer below a known aquifer one supports an aquifer, unless I'm 100% sure of the answer.

Lioneez

• Bay Watcher
  • Challenged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 02:06:22 pm »

Oh and I was thinking you were saying about the second layer because that layer didnt drain into the last aquifer which was clay even when I checked it was labeled dump and it flickered blue on a wide area with DFhack unreveal, the layer below it was dry on the other hand.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:09:31 pm by Lioneez »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 04:23:33 pm »

I don't use reveal so I don't know how to read it. However, if you were digging through the layer below an aquifer it should at least spam about wet stone all the time (as does the level below any body of water). I suspect it might actually leak from the roof as well, if I've understood aquifers correctly, so I never use the level directly below an aquifer for anything but transit further down (with the same footprint as the aquifer hole).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 09:14:48 am »

The pause on damp stone announcement is what is needed to determine if the next level is an aquifer. 

I think the key to this is digging 1 tile straight down, because it queues 1 miner, and the next dig job queues to the same miner after the first is dug. 

At the very moment "after the first dig"--the next tile below will be damp if it is an aquifer, so the pause and announcement will happen. 

However, if there is no pause, most likely a dig cancellation announcement will happen due to the dig site becomes flooded 4+/7 from the water pouring in from the above "first dig" tile. 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 09:24:41 am »

The pause on damp stone announcement is what is needed to determine if the next level is an aquifer.

No, that doesn't work.  The check for damp stone happens too late -- water from the current level where the dwarf is standing falls down, dampens the stone below, and then the game checks and sees damp stone.  You get false positives that way.

As the wiki page says, you must single-step with the . key so you can check the lower Z-level before the game has a chance to let any water fall down and dampen it.  It's quite tedious, but it only has to be done one time per Z-level.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:56:35 am »

When digging straight down, with only 1 tile section down to at least 3z deep, I have not gotten false positives (yet).
I think the damping of stone from above happens when the miner does not queue a dig job down right away because there are other dig jobs on the same z-level.

But I also check the wiki to verify if the stone below is capable of being an aquifer.

Yeah, the double-slit method is the most tedious from all the flooded cancellations.  Each method depends on available resources.

After I've successfully the tedious double-slit method a few times, I've decided that pump-stack method is more convenient simply because I don't do the . single steps anymore to check if the layer below is aquifer.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 12:19:16 pm »

@Sanctume & greycat: I did not propose looking for wet stone while digging as a method for determining if the next level is an aquifer, but rather tried to propose an answer to the question Lioneez asked, namely how to interpret the "reveal" info. Does any of you know the answer to that question?

I don't bother with single stepping my aquifer piercing, but rather look at the type of stone below to see if it's aquifer supporting, and then consult the wiki when not 100% sure, which is both less tedious and less work on my part.
Wet stone cancellation OUGHT to work, since that is triggered by stone being wet "from the other side", while water pouring down gives another message. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the miner occasionally will drown while trying to dig the second level (cancelling at 4/7, but prevented from climbing by buffeting from water from above).
As an aside, the old chicken run method ceased to work with the jobs rewrite, as redesignating the tile below a wet cancellation one no longer causes the miner to continue right away, but it rather walk 10 steps away before deciding to take up the continuation job (provided, of course, it doesn't go to harvest something, which seems to be the miners' main and absolute top priority occupation), at which time there's too much water in the staircase to continue.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 02:11:51 pm »

After using reveal, press d to start the dig designations.  switching z levels will have blinking (blue in Phoebus) for any tile that is damp.  The layer below the last aquifer layer will be damp also.