Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some help with the manager and the craft workshop please ?  (Read 1181 times)

Caderiwyth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Some help with the manager and the craft workshop please ?
« on: April 18, 2016, 06:42:07 pm »

Hey :) :D

I'm new on Dwarf Fortress, i try to figure out how to use the manager and also have multiple Craft workshop for Bone Carving, Stone, wood etc with stockpîle for each one near to it.
But All time i ask the manager to do a task like 30 rock pot every craft workshop have the order and that a mess !
Any solution for that ?
I'm French, i speak english also :)

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
Re: Some help with the manager and the craft workshop please ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:34:49 pm »

Yes this is a current issue with manager, toadyis working on that for a future release. The answer? Don't use manager for these types of jobs

Caderiwyth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:49:09 pm »

Ok thanks ! :)
Why not have a workshop for each job (carving, stone, wood and metal ?) it can be more easy to manage it :p
Hope it will be resolved thanks Toad :p

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:02:59 pm »

You may want to try quantum stockpiles if you don't mind using exploits.
Set up your craft workshops around the stockpile, for example.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 04:27:55 am »

As others have said, when having multiple workshops of the same kind dedicated to separate tasks/skills/... you should give the orders directly to the appropriate workshop (I typically have separate craftdwarf's shop for wood, bone, and stone, and sometimes add a fourth one to have a spare when one of the others is claimed by a mooding kid, with the wood one later one being used for strands extraction).
0.42.06 provides a means to select materials for orders ('d'etails on the order to make a rock pot to select usage of e.g. conglomerate) which can allow you to skip a lot of linking issues. DFHack (included in LNP) allows you to do the same thing with alt-a if using a pre 0.42.06 version (and when DF has greyed out the 'd' modification, for some reason in 0.42.06).

Increasing the number of workshop types is inflexible and forces you to make multiple shops even if you only intended to make a few things out of some material/using a particular skill, and moods would be messy if the single craftdwarf's shop was split into several kinds, since you might have to build a shop of a kind you don't have any normal use for. Improving the manager is a more flexible way to increase control without adding additional shop requirement overhead.

As mentioned, Toady (not Toad, by the way) is working on improving the manager as well as the manager workshop control, to management. It will probably be done over at least two releases, with gradual improvements.

Caderiwyth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 08:51:12 am »

Thanks for your answers, i will work on it :)

The last question is about "Crafts" and Trading.
When i select all on the craft part on trading menu, i have also cloths and some items it's not reals crafts like a ring.
Any suggestion to make the trade more easy than select one per one ?

Thanks

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:51 am »

Unfortunately, "all" means all. I'm not sure if it's a DFHack thing, but shift-enter (I think) on the trade depot hauling page toggles all the items that are on the current page, so it's possible to select stuff a page at a time, allowing you to deselect items afterwards, if you want.
On the trade menu itself all means all, but you shouldn't have brought stuff you didn't intend to sell. I do have a problem with containers, though, as I want to trade the things in them, but not the bins themselves (especially not wooden ones to the pointy ears), so I end up having to select all , then select all the items in the bins, one at a time.