Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unlock by dodging  (Read 702 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Unlock by dodging
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:32:22 pm »

After my dwarves kept escaping from a locked danger room, I've noticed that they can dodge into a locked door, which unlocks it. Seems like a security issue. But I'm curious - has anyone noticed something like this but with enemies? If they can, then every enemy can unlock a door, under circumstances.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Unlock by dodging
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:14:37 pm »

All the more reason to double if not quintuple your doors and back them up with drawbridges.

Enemies can do some odd things - I've heard of them go diagonally upwards through fortifications. Statues, fortifications, and other normally non-pathable tiles are no stop for dodging (including, of course, open space, which can lead to Fun results).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Unlock by dodging
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 01:40:43 am »

I have 2-4 doors in critical areas, including danger rooms (where they are mostly to prevent limit dog deaths). I was locking only the most internal one out of laziness.

Out of things I was a bit mystified by enemies was their ability to climb through a hatch without a wall next to them. I should have known, but still.

As for fortifications, since I discovered they can be jumped in (and walked out on the other side), I don't trust them at all, and use sparsely.