Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,  (Read 26177 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2016, 09:39:15 am »

((the grapples, unless I misread something, are hand thrown and not tied to the ship. they were ropse people tossed for climbing, not for anchoring))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2016, 10:31:27 am »

((the grapples, unless I misread something, are hand thrown and not tied to the ship. they were ropse people tossed for climbing, not for anchoring))
Correct

Any slots available?
:(
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2016, 11:50:57 am »

Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats

Pirate Archers: 5

A deadly smattering of arrows impacts with the deck, threatening everyone not belowdecks.

Arc Desmond: Dodge: 5

Captain Desmond shelters behind the wheel.

Devan: Combat: 5

Devan sidesteps any projectiles calmly.

Jackson: Dodge: 4 +2 (taking cover, at detriment to speed) =6

Jackson hides behind the mast.

An arrow thuds into the deck centimetres from the ship's cat, who lazily flicks their tail out of the way.

"See when you're not insulting me we make a great team!"
use the bag and combine Hot chocolate and sour acid along with some good old molasses and begin going along weaking the enemy cords!
Weirding: 4

You wait for the volley of arrows to pass overhead before going on deck. You then successfully make your bag vomit a mixture of unnatural flavouring chemicals, solvents, sticky semi-liquid chocolate, and sugar. You start to spread it over the enemy grappling ropes. This is a good plan, and you are helping.

Devan moves to assist and defend the first mate.

"Do it quick, you daft bastard!"
Cobble together the contraption using the schematic, and bring some rope.
Just need some time... Captain, Weapons Officer, I have a plan!
Devan moves to assist and defend the first mate.

"Do it quick, you daft bastard!"
Threshhold: 15

Techiness: (2+3)x3=15
Techiness: (6+2)x2=16
=31

The two of you throw together the required mechanisms in no time at all: it's just a few bits of rope and metal and some of the riggings, really. The hard part would be getting near the launching contraption the pirates are using.

"Ahoy there, pirates! Say, are you piratical bureaucrats, or just bureaucratical pirates?"

Wait until the next waft of arrows comes over, then lean over board and urinate on the grappling pirates.

((Even pirates don't like being weed on; they are likely to wipes their faces, thereby letting go of their ropes/hold and falling into the sea; 12 year old boys are pretty good at weeing - it's finally something I won't have to bluff at))
Any enemies who successfully board the ship get murderized.

As the boarders come onto the deck, they are met by the urinating Jackson, the Quartermaster, Captain Desmond and That Bloody Cat.

Eight masked figures in grimy armour and tattered cloaks, the piratical bureaucrats come onboard in unison, heaving their bulks over the belly and side, undaunted by any hot and sticky substances rained down upon them. They hold long scimitars, somehow exquisite and crude at the same time, blades of black iron welded to wristguards formed from office lamps. The quartermaster and cabin boy fall back despite themselves, instinctive dread at such pitiless and powerful men and women intent on slaughter filling their hearts and bladders. The bogeymen of the civilised world, razers of empires, their minds are long gone: they contemplate nothing but death.

Piratical Bureaucrats: 2

Combat: 4

A furious yowl goes up, and a flash of fur moves towards the intruders. There is a terrible rending sound and eight explosions of crimson viscera.

Limbs fly through the air, separated from bloodied torsos marred by hideous gouges and trailing steaming entrails. The now-unrecognisable fragments of the pirates, faces sliced to jagged messes, flesh torn away till the bones protude, bright and raw internal parts and slabs of meat sliding across the deck, spines shattered and twisted by hideous blows and collisions impaling spurting and punctured abdomens.

The deck is drenched with blood. One entire side of the ship is covered with blood. Gore drapes the side of the ship, hangs from the rigging, and runs down into the blackening water below. Scraps of clothing and armour litter the floor.

The quartermaster and the cabin boy are unharmed but their clothing is stained mostly crimson.

The ship's cat is one of the few dry and unbloodied things on the deck. It sits contentedly, licking imaginary dirt off its paws.

The captain looks mildly mystified at his crew. Make that, nearly baffled.

"Well, looks like we have enough speed to get past the ship ... it's the bloody boarders that are the biggest problem ... that and the archers on the shore! Of course, if Devan want's to try again to put a hole in that ship a litle closer to the water line, that might possibly help a little. Either way. We're all probably gonna die, since we've overestimated the value of the speed this ship is making. I cannot believe how many piurates are able to hook ropes onto us like this!"

I don't know .. .evasive maneuvers! tilt the ship away from the other ship so any jumpers have an angeld deck to land on and roll off, and make sure that tilt gives the archers a view of the belly of the ship, not the deck.

"Brace yourselves, lads and lasses!"
The cat just... never mind, actually. At least it didn't get any of it on you, this time.

You stay on course, pretty much. None of the boarders have managed to slow the ship down much, and the dozen pirates who fired the second set of grapples, upon the discovery of several detached limbs in the water, are swimming back to shore, the ropes ending in sharp spikes attached to your ship still tied about their waists.

Seamanship: 6

You manage to tilt the ship a little without seriously impairing the speed or steering, giving archers a worse view of the ship.

At the current speed, the Gareth will not be successfully rammed by the other ship, though it could still be pursued via archers and maybe ballistae (unlikely). There are no boarders approaching, and a third volley of arrows is about to come towards you. It would be possible for the Gareth to gain speed using the other ship's launching mechanism, putting any real pursuit out of the question. The Gareth will by the end of the next turn be coming parallel with the larger ship and the island, and will probably have passed it the one after that.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2016, 12:10:55 pm »

"Captain! I just remembered something urgent that I have to attend to! Indeed, it is a thing which can only be attended to at exactly..."

Look up at the sun's position...

"Around 11 in the morning!"

Get under decks until the arrows stop or I am called back up.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:51 pm »

Alright, everyone, I have a pl-
Octavius glances at the scene, turns back around, and sits at his cannon.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2016, 12:32:26 pm »

Devan seeks cover behind a barrel.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 04, 2016, 12:51:32 pm »

Get back underdeck!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 04, 2016, 06:27:46 pm »

That Bloody Cat was irritated. Enemies had just tried to kill his crew! KILL! HIS! CREW! And although he didn't like them too much, they were his captain's meat shields, which meant that they were still important. Based on the arrows, it seemed likely that the enemies would try again. And possibly again afterwards. This could not go on. His captain needed meat shields.

If, when the two ships are parallel, the other ship is within cat jumping range, That Bloody Cat jumps across and begins murderizing every enemy aboard the enemy ship. If the other ship will not be within jumping range, That Bloody Cat does something different- he attempts to knock away the arrows fired, in mid air.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2016, 09:45:17 pm »

If the Cat crosses to the other ship, I'll lose speed to keep him from being stranded, otherwise, onward ho! doing my best not to die of arrow poisoning.

"Well done, and name well earned, bloody Cat! I've been at sea long enough not to get seasick, but I am a little nauseated at the moment. You've earned that tuna and more!

Yes, yes, Jackson. get cleaned up and out of bowshot range. Well done on whatever it is you were doing."

((that was beautiful. Sheer poetry.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2016, 10:54:49 am »

"Captain! I just remembered something urgent that I have to attend to! Indeed, it is a thing which can only be attended to at exactly..."

Look up at the sun's position...

"Around 11 in the morning!"

Get under decks until the arrows stop or I am called back up.
Underdecks it is.

Get back underdeck!
Ditto

Devan seeks cover behind a barrel.
Cover, that's just as good, except for when they start shooting ballistae arrows or something.

Alright, everyone, I have a pl-
Octavius glances at the scene, turns back around, and sits at his cannon.
You draw a bead on... something? There are two cannons and nobody is firing anything.

That Bloody Cat was irritated. Enemies had just tried to kill his crew! KILL! HIS! CREW! And although he didn't like them too much, they were his captain's meat shields, which meant that they were still important. Based on the arrows, it seemed likely that the enemies would try again. And possibly again afterwards. This could not go on. His captain needed meat shields.

If, when the two ships are parallel, the other ship is within cat jumping range, That Bloody Cat jumps across and begins murderizing every enemy aboard the enemy ship. If the other ship will not be within jumping range, That Bloody Cat does something different- he attempts to knock away the arrows fired, in mid air.
Despite a cat's innate climbing ability, the other ship's deck is too high up for you to get across without risking a tumble into the waters beneath.

If the Cat crosses to the other ship, I'll lose speed to keep him from being stranded, otherwise, onward ho! doing my best not to die of arrow poisoning.

"Well done, and name well earned, bloody Cat! I've been at sea long enough not to get seasick, but I am a little nauseated at the moment. You've earned that tuna and more!

Yes, yes, Jackson. get cleaned up and out of bowshot range. Well done on whatever it is you were doing."

((that was beautiful. Sheer poetry.))

Yet another round of arrows.

Piratical Bureaucrat Archers: 2

Captain Desmond Dodge: 5+2

A few arrows fall about loosely.

The Gareth ploughs through the water, coming level with the huge beached ship, the pirates attempting to launch it straining and cursing to no avail. It pulls ahead, past the massive semi-patched up wreck struggling to get off the land, and makes for open sea.

And then the Gareth slows with a sickening jolt. Stretching back behind it, taut ropes and chains from grapples and spikes attached to the Gareth lead to the massive piratical bureaucrat vessel, archers thronging to its stern, presumably with the intention of murdering everyone onboard from a distance.

Looks like they got it into the water just in time.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2016, 11:15:05 am »

To hell with this.
Read through the more... occult notes in the book to find a way to bail us out before we get skewered.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2016, 12:56:57 pm »

Think of something so weird or so crazy that it just might work!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2016, 01:04:07 pm »

Devan prepares to fight any boarders. With his deadly deadly cannon.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 07, 2016, 04:27:26 pm »

That Bloody Cat was getting irritated. At this rate, his captain might get hurt! Not permissible.

That Bloody Cat stared at the enemy crew, then HISSED. The hiss of an ordinary cat might not have been frightening. But this one probably was.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2016, 11:08:47 pm »

"Oh Lord, this is going to sting. Someone get a rope up to the deck of that ship! The cat needs a way up!"

Are those the lines that the guys on shore fired and were climbing, or did the ship itself launch them this turn?

Captain Desmond locks the wheel, aiming for open seas, and gets under cover. I fire my crossbow in the general direction of the pirate ship and do a lot of hiding from massed arrows.

((We have two players whose actions are "think of something to do." Guys ... it is the GM's responsibility to give us challenges. It is not the GM's responsibility to solve those challenges for us.

Besids, he already mentioned the cannons a couple times.))
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28