Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,  (Read 26217 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2016, 10:50:52 am »

"Er. Whoops. I mean, have faith, captain Sir! I am a fully qualified..." mumble mumble "... and I am fairly sure that this is absolutely a direction..."

Man the front! Look out with good eyes! Cross my fingers!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2016, 02:17:54 pm »

Devan hesitantly assists with sail maintenance.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2016, 01:35:07 pm »

Belgrafian Megafunnel

That Bloody Cat stared at its kill. Oh yes... oh yes. Wonderful. The rest of the peacocks could wait for the moment... That Bloody Cat had eating to do.

That Bloody Cat drags the peacock corpse underneath a bed and digs in.
Thus begins the feast. A lot of people have run onto the deck shouting, which means you won't be disturbed for some time.

Turn to chapter six, and look for a schematic to reproduce using the tools on hand.
You find a bit involving steam engines and pistons.

Techiness: 6

You skimread the adjacent paragraphs, before deciphering a rather archaic-looking diagram reproduced from a mural by an ancient steam-using civilisation. Strangely, their principle unit seems to be the "int", a measure of efficiency, though confusingly also a vector. You press on. The schematic uses four different valves partially inside one another, which can convert a great deal of pressure from an exhaust or expulsion of gas into potential energy stored in a spring.

The highest efficiency with which the device can operate is brought about by the largest possible gas to volume ratio: this means that the smaller the device is and the more gas you try to force inside it, the better it will work, unless it collapses. It also requires a strong and tensile material with low density to function well.

You not only understand and memorise the diagram, but add a few tiny improvements of your own, and correct a few of the more glaring arithmatic errors on the reproduction of the ancient mural. This might just be possible with your current tools, steel or maybe even wood being the least dense materials available. Pretty hard to do without better supplies, though.

Arc order's all crew to MAN THE DECK! none of this silly faffing about, we have a ship destroying channel to navigate in an old, clunky tub, carrying gold, peacocks, and murder.

"Lad! why would you navigate us into this? We're not a viking longship! This is a route for sleeker ships, boy! I oughta sell ya to the navy! Ahahahahahahahah. I wouldn't of course. But we're all dead now, so you might wish I had! Ahahahahahahah!"

Once the silly lot man's the deck and makes all due preparations, head inward, using every ounce of my seamanship, along with whatever scraps of such that the others have, to not die.
"Er. Whoops. I mean, have faith, captain Sir! I am a fully qualified..." mumble mumble "... and I am fairly sure that this is absolutely a direction..."

Man the front! Look out with good eyes! Cross my fingers!
Run up to the deck lolipop in mouth after securing all equipment and hiding it  and locking it throughly.
Devan hesitantly assists with sail maintenance.

((Now, we have a group set of rolls. I'm going to do skill level x (roll+skill level) for these, to determine whether or not a certain number is passed. Bluff gets -1 to both skill levels, with no +skill level, as well as a - skill level on the end. Oh, and 1 or below for a (roll + skill level) is negative, 2 is a non-event. Skill level will be assumed to start at 1 for the multipier. Yes, it's overcomplex, but I made this for a laugh in a hurry, and am now desperately trying to balance it.))

Seamanship: 2x(3+2)=10
Bluff: (5-1)x(4-1)-5=7
Seamanship: 2=0
Seamanship: 3+1=4
=21

Gritting his teeth for focus, his hands for grip on the wheel, and his elbows for good measure, Captain Desmond sets a straight course through the looming masts and stays on it, unperturbed by the roaring currents. Jackson dashes from deck to deck, his sharp eyes rapidly identifying the deadly rocks and wrecks lurking just below the water before they smash through the hull. The bottleneck looms closer as the ship speeds along, before something moves beneath the deck, forcing the Gareth to one side. It lists, leaning further and further to starboard, the mast scraping hysterically against the wall of rock as the boat threatens to tip entirely. With heroic presence of mind, Devan rushes downstairs at the last instant, and with Octavius' help he herds the clamouring peacocks out of the cabin somebody just locked all of them into, and to the other side of the ship, before heaving several gold bars out as well.

The vessel rebalanced, Arc wrenches the wheel about, nosing the prow onto the incredible current gushing from the gap, the ship yanked along and out, out into the open sea, at an unbelieveable speed. Breaking several Belgrafian maritimes laws, as well as a few records, the Gareth almost flies away from the megafunnel, the whole dangerous experience having taken no more than a few minutes. An hour or two of travel, and you will get to the welcomingly named "Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats", in order to catch the dizzyingly fast winds that stream down from the mountains there, and cross the Belgrafian sea before sundown.

Spoiler: position (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2016, 02:06:03 pm »

"Ahahahahahahaha, what a ride! Well done, everyone, well done indeed! I only hope that little lean there at the end didn't cost us too much of our precious cargo, or sanity! Ahahahahaha! Everyone, check the status of the ship and stores. We have high winds to catch, so be prepared for more action! But, after the ship and stores are put in good order, take a few minutes to rest before the next hurdle. We should be fresh for this one too!"

Captain Desmond inspects the crew for damage, and then the main functioning parts of the ship, while giving orders (or at least suggestions) for the crew to check things too. And He maintain's course (or has Octavious do it) for the windy cove.

"oh! Ands man the guns when we approach this cove of piratical beaurocrats! We don't want trouble, but we don't want to end up as booty, either!"

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2016, 02:09:10 pm »

Candygal hugs the captain her hair looking like she had been hit by a tornado.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »

Devan uneasily slumps to the ground. That was... a lot of effort. He picks himself up and limps off to his quarters. He then sets up a basic work area using the tools he has on hand. He tries to create the reloading station for Lil Josie too.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2016, 12:12:40 am »

Take a deep breath, head to the wheel, and maintain the course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2016, 12:52:12 am »

Check the ship is okay as instructed. Then get back to look out duty.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2016, 08:39:37 am »

That Bloody Cat continues its feast.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:28 am »

Hug dah captain with maximum efficiency.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2016, 11:56:20 am »

Belgrafian Sea

That Bloody Cat continues its feast.
Moving from the wings to the legs, passing over the gizzards, the feathers are chewed and kept for late use.

Hug dah captain with maximum efficiency.
You tightly embrace the ship's saviour.

"Ahahahahahahaha, what a ride! Well done, everyone, well done indeed! I only hope that little lean there at the end didn't cost us too much of our precious cargo, or sanity! Ahahahahaha! Everyone, check the status of the ship and stores. We have high winds to catch, so be prepared for more action! But, after the ship and stores are put in good order, take a few minutes to rest before the next hurdle. We should be fresh for this one too!"

Captain Desmond inspects the crew for damage, and then the main functioning parts of the ship, while giving orders (or at least suggestions) for the crew to check things too. And He maintain's course (or has Octavious do it) for the windy cove.

"oh! Ands man the guns when we approach this cove of piratical beaurocrats! We don't want trouble, but we don't want to end up as booty, either!"

Some of the crew are pretty clearly damaged, but apparently none by their most recent experience. Speaking of which, you extricate yourself from the quartermaster's tight and slightly sticky embrace, and take a look round the vessel. Octavius gets the wheel.

No damage except a few scrapes on the mast.

Take a deep breath, head to the wheel, and maintain the course.
You keep the ship on track. The currents are carrying you scarily fast away from the Megafunnel, but holding the wheel very still seems to do the trick.

Check the ship is okay as instructed. Then get back to look out duty.
Everything's fine. You disappear up the crow's nest, and stare at the horizon. There are some pretty trippy clouds, but not much else.

Devan uneasily slumps to the ground. That was... a lot of effort. He picks himself up and limps off to his quarters. He then sets up a basic work area using the tools he has on hand. He tries to create the reloading station for Lil Josie too.
Techiness: 1

You manage to set up a workbench, recreate or unpack a bunch of tools, and build something that would do as a forge in a pinch, but can't quite wrap your head around the mechanisms required to create an automatic reloader. Probably more than a little stressed by all the commotion, you mess around, but make no progress.

It is still mid afternoon when you reach the Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats. A huge circular gap in the shore, Belgrafian scrubland visible beyond, the broad circle of water is edged with dark-flagged ships, constructed from filing cabinets, desks, office dividers and shelves. Oddly designed, rumour has it that these vessels have several layers of armour, powerful ballistae created from swivel chairs and blinds, as well as bloodthirsty crews armed to the teeth with sharpened memos, automated crossbows and cutlasses made out of printers. The sad remains of a once-great nation consumed by the horrors of bureaucracy, crude and ramshackle buildings line the shores, while two barbaric fortresses mark the entrance to the bay, crossbows the size of houses at the top of each.

You're going to have to pass the bay entrance to reach the strong winds found opposite. You cannot sail that far away from it, due to a maze of sandbanks and coral reefs below the water. A little closer than that, and you risk attack from an old beached pirate ship, apparently still manned, though in questionable shape. Once further from that than it could reasonably go without sinking, you expose yourself to the ballistae. It would be possible to sail close enough to the shore that any shot would risk their constructions as well, but then an attack from the land would be the danger.

It is time for the crew to make a choice.
One wheel short of a wagon

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »

"I say we go whatever route draws us nearest to combat.
Let us kill them all.
"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2016, 01:40:14 pm »

((so, inside the cove are the pirate ships, at the entrance to the cove are the forts, and outside the cove is the beached pirate ship? We can pass a) far enough away from the beached ship to be exposed to the ballistae of the beached ship, b) close enough to the beached ship to risk more direct attack from that ship or c) closer to shore and risk attack from the forts? if we stick near the beached ship, how likely is it the other pirate ships will sail out to meet us? will the sandbars and such hinder their approach?))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »

I don't like combat I'm too much of a target!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2016, 02:27:47 pm »

"See? It's PERFECT!"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28