Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,  (Read 26165 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2016, 10:25:56 am »

((sorry, been away getting rained on))

Get a spare very long rope, tie it to a crossbow bolt, and shoot said bolt into the enemy ship. But! First tie an end to a cannon so the rope doesn't go loose.

"Aye aye sir. Rope it is sir... Possibly."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 11, 2016, 10:53:32 am »

Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats, still.

Sorry, exam malaise.

Another rain of arrows, naturally: 1

Only Captain Desmond is threatened. Perhaps paperclips don't actually make the best arrowheads. But the archers, again, have the range estimated (+2 to 1s).

"Oh Lord, this is going to sting. Someone get a rope up to the deck of that ship! The cat needs a way up!"

Are those the lines that the guys on shore fired and were climbing, or did the ship itself launch them this turn?

Captain Desmond locks the wheel, aiming for open seas, and gets under cover. I fire my crossbow in the general direction of the pirate ship and do a lot of hiding from massed arrows.

((We have two players whose actions are "think of something to do." Guys ... it is the GM's responsibility to give us challenges. It is not the GM's responsibility to solve those challenges for us.

Besids, he already mentioned the cannons a couple times.))
Nah, this is taking too long anyway. I need to speed things up.

Cover it is.

Archery: 3 

Nope.

Dodge: 3+2=5

Even the arrow that managed to hit the ship passes harmlessly over the wheel.

((sorry, been away getting rained on))

Get a spare very long rope, tie it to a crossbow bolt, and shoot said bolt into the enemy ship. But! First tie an end to a cannon so the rope doesn't go loose.

"Aye aye sir. Rope it is sir... Possibly."
Bluff: 1-1

You tie yourself to a cannon. Damn fiddly non-Belgrafian Knottyers Guild Approved knots!

Erm... the massive ropes tied to their ship and stuck fast to yours might serve the same purpose...

That Bloody Cat was getting irritated. At this rate, his captain might get hurt! Not permissible.

That Bloody Cat stared at the enemy crew, then HISSED. The hiss of an ordinary cat might not have been frightening. But this one probably was.
Sadly, the crew can't hear you over the sound of Piratical Bureaucrat shanties. Stuff about impaling men on massive ring-binders... not bad, as human music goes.

Devan prepares to fight any boarders. With his deadly deadly cannon.
No boarders. Perhaps they gave up on that idea after the dismemberment incident?

To hell with this.
Read through the more... occult notes in the book to find a way to bail us out before we get skewered.
Well, you're attached to the enemy ship with a great deal of arrows and grapples attached to ropes... and will be under threat till you manage to un-attach the ropes somehow...

Tinkering: 5
Weirding:2

You flip through the book, mutter a few invocations from a black and inviting page. Your fingers catch fire briefly. Yowch. Better not try that again. While cursing and grabbing at your hand, you notice a page involving a way of making a giant pair of... well scissors, basically, from a pair of long sharp edges and some rope and easily obtained bits of wood.

Think of something so weird or so crazy that it just might work!
Group sing-along? Bad plan, actually. Devan would probably spoil it. Maybe you shouldn't invite him.

At this rate... well, the Gareth looks pretty captured, so no more pirates are going to come and help. The larger ship, while damaged, is faring okay... it probably won't be fully submerged even if it does sink.

Oh look. They're wheeling a ballista off the deck for some reason. And making a large hole in their own bow(thanks oz), level with your hold. This can't be good.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:41:54 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:32 am »

"Sir! We need to board them fast! It's the only way!"

Gesture at the cat that we are boarding, then board the enemy ship via the massive ropes. Grab a weapon first? Or not, as that could hinder my climbing ability.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2016, 11:15:14 am »

Devan fires a shot through the hole in their ship, aiming for the ballista itself.

(Ammo conservation 101 - Don't be stupid with your ammo.)
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2016, 11:43:04 am »

Go to my quarters and lock the door.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 11, 2016, 02:29:33 pm »

((stern is the back. aren't we in front of the pirate ship?))

"Hey! Did you file a 'Procedure to Capture passerbsby Form?!' Let us go, or we'll be forced to summon the Lawyers of the Deep! I'm totally serious about this!"

Arc runs to the bow of our ship, wheels a cannon around backward, muttering 'thanks alot, crew, for manning the guns,' and fires it over our own deck at the pirate ship, really hoping very hard not to hit our own mast, sails, deck, rigging, wheel, or crew. Also hoping not to launch the cannon off the bow and into the ocean when he fires, comical as that would be. Or you knwo, if I am misreadign the relative locations of the ships, fire it wherever the big scary guy is.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »

((shit, sorry, got nautical terms mixed up))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2016, 04:33:53 pm »

Board the enemy ship. Murderize foes.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2016, 04:48:15 pm »

Make the aformentioned pair of giant scissors.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2016, 02:12:28 pm »

Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats

Piratical Archers: 3

Yet another flight of arrows passes between the ships, with no great accuracy (3+ is a dodge)

"Sir! We need to board them fast! It's the only way!"

Gesture at the cat that we are boarding, then board the enemy ship via the massive ropes. Grab a weapon first? Or not, as that could hinder my climbing ability.
You're tied to a cannon right now.

Wriggling: 2

And can't really change that.

Bluff: 4-1

You manage to blend in with the cannon really well though.

Luck: 4+2

No arrows hit you.

Devan fires a shot through the hole in their ship, aiming for the ballista itself.

(Ammo conservation 101 - Don't be stupid with your ammo.)
Combat: 6+1

You hold the cannon steady, aim carefully, and smash the arrow-locking mechanism with one well aimed shot.

Dodge: 3

You're also unharmed by the arrows.

((stern is the back. aren't we in front of the pirate ship?))

"Hey! Did you file a 'Procedure to Capture passerbsby Form?!' Let us go, or we'll be forced to summon the Lawyers of the Deep! I'm totally serious about this!"

Arc runs to the bow of our ship, wheels a cannon around backward, muttering 'thanks alot, crew, for manning the guns,' and fires it over our own deck at the pirate ship, really hoping very hard not to hit our own mast, sails, deck, rigging, wheel, or crew. Also hoping not to launch the cannon off the bow and into the ocean when he fires, comical as that would be. Or you knwo, if I am misreadign the relative locations of the ships, fire it wherever the big scary guy is.

Dodge: 2

Endurance: 4

You take an arrow in the arm, ducking behind the cannon instead. You're not in too much pain, but the cruel paper-clip barb is stuck fast in your arm.

Go to my quarters and lock the door.
Sensible.

Board the enemy ship. Murderize foes.
The cat climbs along one of the grapple ropes, running nimbly over the rather suspect material. Human hair? Even for Piratical Bureaucrats, these guys are pretty far gone.

Screaming comes from the enemy  ship. A lot of screaming. For a fairly long time. Several minutes, in fact. Then it isn't really screaming any more. There are sounds, and what might be considered people making them. A few shapes fall out of the crows nest and rigging. Then that stops too, and the ship is silent. There aren't any more arrows. Or any more anything. The cat comes back across the line after a while.

Make the aformentioned pair of giant scissors.
Techiness: 1 +3  (very basic design).

You assemble the massive scissors, out of some swords you find on the deck and some other parts. It takes a while, but you make the massive pair of shear-like blades. Perfect for cutting ropes and stuff.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2016, 03:22:40 pm »

"I... er..."

Jackson wants to congratulate the captain on his successful decision making, hopefully prompting the captain in turn to congratulate Jackson's glorious lead of the charge, but he's busy.

Untie myself from the cannon.

((Also, I am going away from Saturday for nearly a week, with no internet: Please AI me sensibly and hopefully by my return I may be untied))
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:28:34 pm by lawastooshort »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2016, 04:30:14 pm »

That Bloody Cat was satisfied. Time for- oh wait!

That Bloody Cat sat down next to his Captain, and mewed happily. Tuna time!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2016, 04:55:41 pm »

Remove the grapples with the gigantic scissors.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2016, 06:20:57 pm »

Devan wipes his brow. He settles once again behind cover, and counts the number of arrows hitting the ship.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2016, 07:14:49 pm »

"Well done, everyone! Jackson, why are you tied to the cannon? Get off there, we have a ship to loot! Devan, good shooting. that could have gone quite poorly had they fired whatever that was. Cat, you've earned that Tuna and more. Ow. Dammit, who put this paperclip in my arm. Ow! Octavius ... wow, just wow. Those are some large scissors. You'd make a mighty fine beaurocratic pirate yourself! Ahahahahahah. Hah. No but seriously, nice work."

Is that pirate ship seaworthy? Can we pilot both of them into our destination? Prize money for captured pirate ships is nice - we could pay off our debt easy peasey, if we chose to stick with the Gareth over the larger, more cumbersome thing. What's the situation with liekly pursuit at this point? Do we have time to at least do a quick snatch and grab?

If we can pilot both ships, and pursuit is unlikely, Captain Desmond will take the pirate ship and have Jackson run The Gareth. Otherwise, If we have time for looting, Captain Desmond heads to the pirates' Captain's quarters and loots what's there.

Otherwise, cut and run.

Oh, and do a quick bandage on the arm, removing the paper clip if reasonably possible.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28