Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,  (Read 26238 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2016, 09:10:44 pm »

If you've destroyed the majority of your works, then I hope the Cannon you carry is the pinnacle of the progress you've made up to this point. I've come into possession of a large journal, written in by what appears to be dozens of inventors and... other people, presumably. Some schematics and notes come off as impractical or useless, but the everything else... I'll show you when we get back to the ship. Together, we'll create something... beautiful.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2016, 09:14:20 pm »

Devan smiles. Not a harsh or cruel smile like before, but a genuine smile.

"I'd like that."

((WOOO POTENTIAL SCIIIIEEEENNNNCCCEEEEE))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2016, 09:28:39 pm »

((I ship it))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2016, 09:56:39 pm »

((Watch the hull explode due to our Steampunk 1700s weapon research.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2016, 12:33:47 am »

"This is where I get to say aye aye captain, right? Yes sir! Right away sir!"

Jackson scampers away below decks to pore over the charts.

Equip Monocle and plot the safest course to our destination. Wonder if anyone bought any birdfeed. Tell captain when I've worked out what direction to go.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2016, 11:28:04 am »

((GM, I work nights and sleep days. It has been ... fifteen hours since I posted last, and eight since you posted the options for cargo etc. Please update only once or twice a day on matters that affect the whole crew, like cargo purchase.))

Captain Arc mutters to the Cat: "I hope you don't end up having to kill one of them. I wonder how many of us will survive this maiden voyage. Ah well, it sure will be entertaining, either way." ((This was quiet and unless you have very fine hearing you shouldn't respond unless you are the cat))

Out loud (at a point after the boy makes the purchase and before he wanders off again):

"Gold and Peacocks? Well done, lad, though the peacocks make me a tad nervous. Dead Peacocks are a less valuable cargo after all, and with this rowdy bunch, who knows what may happen?" Arc laughs heartily, and strokes his chin. Or rather, he strokes the air below his chin, as if there were a long luxurious beard there.

"Our first stop is obvious, my fellows. The city across the bay. It is on the way to any other destination. Let us sail there, and decide again upon a further destination at that point."

What are our finances like at this point? Do the peacocks come with feed? if not and we have the money, buy some birdseed or whatever. ((I guess someone took care of this)) I use my Sphere of Sky and Sea to check for favorable weather conditions
((Sorry, I'll wait for the crew to have time to discuss it next time.))

Finances... nope, ships are expensive, you spent all those. The peacocks will have the unenviable choice of hard tack or candy. No worse than what you're getting, at least.

Techiness/Seamanship: [5]

Clear skies await. Probably. It's not stormy nearby at the moment anywhere nearby, anway. High atmospheric pressure, but that's it.

Given that everything people had was spent on the ship and cargo, anyone who tried to purchase something is going to the dump.

"The first time she falls asleep she's totally dead. In the meantime..."

Devan searches the ports for raw metals, gunpowder, and smithing tools. He also keeps an eye out for food-stuffs, as he probably won't be getting very much.
Plenty of scrap metal, no gunpowder, and a massive flat stone useable as an anvil. Inventories in character sheet in OP.

Head about to buy assorted cogs, mechanisms, dials, tubes, metal piping and pieces, gun parts, tools, and replacement tools.
Scrap metal and piping, glass bottles, halfbricks.

Search marketplace for books,and food and spices and locks and containers and finally look for a weapon and something that the kid might like get peacock feed.

A bunch of sturdy crates with the locks broken, bottles, boxes, a menacing length of copper pipe, a collection of yellowing rags, and a cart full of rotten apples.

"This is where I get to say aye aye captain, right? Yes sir! Right away sir!"

Jackson scampers away below decks to pore over the charts.

Equip Monocle and plot the safest course to our destination. Wonder if anyone bought any birdfeed. Tell captain when I've worked out what direction to go.
Bluff:6+1(Monocle)-1(Bluffing) =6

"Hmmm... over the Belgrafian Megafunnel rocks in order to pick up a bit of speed, past the Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats in order to get the good winds, look's like there'll be a bit of congestion in Belgrafia's Bathtub, so might want to skirt around near Great Leech Bay... brings us near the Perpetual Thundercloud of Odin, sounds like an interesting rock formation... cut a corner through there and a take a shortcut up to the river docks, we'll be there in a day. Much better than trying to sail against the tide in a well-frequented shipping lane, that'd take forever... and there'd be a high chance of crashing, as well as damaging the ship in that notoriously crowded port..."

After a modicum of thought, you manage to plot a route that not only takes you through a rich but novelty-starved bit of land, but that is five times as fast as most routes, with no chance at all of colliding with another ship. Nothing to it.

Spoiler: route (click to show/hide)

You trot along to the captain, salute smartly, then hand him the directions.

There are overshoots in this, by the way.

That Bloody Cat wakes up again, slightly annoyed. Then he saw the peacocks. They weren't crew, right?

That Bloody Cat jumps down from his perch and starts stalking the peacocks.
They don't see the cat. That Bloody Cat sees them, though. It could kill them. They'd never even realise, up until the last moment, no terror, no defiance, just a very small cut and a deep, deep sleep...
One wheel short of a wagon

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:20 am »

I have gotten stuff.
She has the copper pipe in her hand slightly twitchy.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2016, 11:39:44 am »

Octavius returns, carrying his salvage.
A disappointing haul, but I can work with the metal and pipes. I can just check the book for something I can try to create, and borrow the Quartermaster's repair tools. We have tools on the Gareth, right?

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:37 am »

...I don't know my good moods been ruined today maybe I'll be back to normal by tommorow.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2016, 12:18:39 pm »

"I have my old smithing hammer, but it's very battered. Barely usable. I also have some forging tongs, they should be fine. I'll retire to my quarters and establish myself. First mate Octavius, you are welcome at any time.

Say, where are my quarters?
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2016, 12:21:26 pm »

Hmmmm I don't know ask the quartermaster but she probably won't tell you and tottaly won't fill your room with hot fudge so you have to sleep outside.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2016, 12:24:57 pm »

Devan waves his hand dismissively.

"Sorry, I'm asking somebody more capable than you. Like anyone else on the ship. Even the cat.

Wait, where's the cat?
"

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2016, 12:28:11 pm »

I bought this pipe for a reason Devan.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2016, 12:35:47 pm »

Devan laughs, a hearty laugh.

"You've spunk, but you're outmatched here. After all. I have Lil Josie here.

... wait. The cat is missing. Where are the peacocks...!
"

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »

"True but I'm faster...can we just start over?"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28