Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Flame and Famine (A Chronicles of Darkness Roleplay set in the Irish Famine)  (Read 32468 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

The good Father's loyal murderhobo, Thady Fitzpatrick.

Aspirations and Breaking Points are in the Other Notes, lemme know what, if anything, needs changing.

Also is it possible to start with equipment?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I'm still trying to figure out whether to Genius.

Since HB's char is, it seems to me that vanilla humans pretty much don't stand a chance to not get Beholden'd/Catalyzed anyway, unless he doesn't Genius at all, in which case... well, kind of a waste.
Well, as an alternative, I was thinking that it would be tragically hilarious if Liam was turned into a vampire and forced to prey upon the the very people he's trying to help. What do you think?
That's actually a fun idea, a slightly CRAAAAAAWLING twist perhaps, but... well, par for the genre. And I needed another nWoD char import to SS13 anyway after the last one got retired :P

E: Sheet updated with Breaking Point quiz.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:16:37 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

This would be a good time to mention that I do have enough laboratory space for as many as three geniuses to work at once.

EDIT: sent you a PM with the story bits, Fniff. I suppose I'll also plop it down here so the other players can read it if it strikes their fancy.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:21:09 am by Harry Baldman »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

*snop*
Also is it possible to start with equipment?
Props to Blitz and Immaterial for interweaving character backstories, that's one of my favorite things. I'm wondering what the reason is for their presence in Castlebar, though. If you want it to have it play it on the table, that's perfect as well. I think Thady (Nice reference) and Darach are going to have interesting interactions with Verity Black (A bloodsucker is a horror - a bloodsucker in charge of a RIC regiment is a nightmare) and Mary Moore (Might I suggest 'walking blasphemy' as an insult to fling at her?).

As for equipment, feel free to choose yours. Keep it within reason, though; you're all basically vagrants (Though obviously Thady Fitzpatrick is more vagrant-y than thou :P) so make sure your piece has two of these three qualities: old, faulty, or stolen.

I'm still trying to figure out whether to Genius.

Since HB's char is, it seems to me that vanilla humans pretty much don't stand a chance to not get Beholden'd/Catalyzed anyway, unless he doesn't Genius at all, in which case... well, kind of a waste.
Well, as an alternative, I was thinking that it would be tragically hilarious if Liam was turned into a vampire and forced to prey upon the the very people he's trying to help. What do you think?
That's actually a fun idea, a slightly CRAAAAAAWLING twist perhaps, but... well, par for the genre. And I needed another nWoD char import to SS13 anyway after the last one got retired :P

E: Sheet updated with Breaking Point quiz.
Yeah, it is  emo-y, but come on; you're playing an idealistic medic in the middle of the Famine with added vampires. You're going to get broken at some point, might as well treat it like ripping off a band-aid. :P

By the by, I was surprised Anthony Cross wasn't your PC. I might have him pop up as Verity Black's scheming ghoul or something.

This would be a good time to mention that I do have enough laboratory space for as many as three geniuses to work at once.

EDIT: sent you a PM with the story bits, Fniff. I suppose I'll also plop it down here so the other players can read it if it strikes their fancy.

I can get behind a mad monk with terrible weapons of glass and light whose theme song is a motherfucking Tom Waits song.

Speaking of laboratory space, where is said laboratory? Back in Errew in the Monastry or in Castlebar?

Father Darach and Brother Walsh are going to have some interesting interactions. I'm assuming that Father Darach won't like Mary Moore one bit, while Brother Walsh (I suspect) sees a certain kinship with her. Also, I like the idea of the Bishop of Limerick being a Genius.

I must say, everyone's sheets so far are looking fantastic. I see you've all got proper mix of misery and surreality that is the Irish sensibility. The party dynamics are going to be really weird, but I like that in a game. I think most everyone who expressed interest has posted sheets; the only ones that haven't are Kevak, Gentleman Raptor, and Scriver.

So, about the game's timing. I was thinking the weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, ranging 6pm-8pm. Which times sound most attractive to y'all?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Eh, leave Cross be, he's had his character arc happen IN THE GRIM GOOFINESS OF THE XXVIth CENTURY spess (currently as an NPC breaking knees for Finance - zero legal liability, same great criminal taste!) - besides, making and developing characters is half the fun.

I have an... idea, regarding Liam's templatening, though I'm not 100% sure if that's a thing that can happen rule-wise; I'll bounce it off of you in a PM. It involves piling even more misery on the whole thing.

Re: timing, would slightly prefer Sunday, any time in that range, but can do either day.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, leave Cross be, he's had his character arc happen IN THE GRIM GOOFINESS OF THE XXVIth CENTURY spess (currently as an NPC breaking knees for Finance - zero legal liability, same great criminal taste!)
Always knew he'd go far. :')

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

...what do those modifiers do to equipment, then?

Because literally the only thing I wanted was a knife.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A knife is perfectly acceptable within those bonds. I was just discouraging people from getting guns or calvary sabers in an unclear manner.
Edit: In short, yeah, you can have a knife. Man, I am getting weirdly wordy recently.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:45:21 pm by Fniff »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of laboratory space, where is said laboratory? Back in Errew in the Monastry or in Castlebar?

Errew, in the monastery's cellar. So not really the most convenient place to reach from Castlebar, but definitely within walking distance (3 hours of walking, but walking nevertheless - it's good for the body and the soul, you know). Don't know if the actual monastery has a cellar, or what size it is, but I hope you can forgive me this spot of improvisation.

I would have given it less Security and more Equipment if not for the fact that it's a seldom-mentioned cellar that nobody apart from Brother Walsh goes in underneath a monastery, and also quite locked at that, perhaps not with mechanical code locks or anything like that, but it does have a sturdy door with a good lock plus it's behind one or more other locked doors in a place that doesn't see any foot traffic apart from monks that all know each other, which I figure is more like Security 2 than 1.

Also, quick question - the rules say that damage is calculated from successes on the hit roll, but Katastrofi says that its weapons have a "base damage of 5". I've never played a Storyteller system game (well, at least not one where I had to pay much attention to the mechanics), so I'm a bit confused on the basics presently.

So, about the game's timing. I was thinking the weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, ranging 6pm-8pm. Which times sound most attractive to y'all?

I can only do Sunday unless another game I'm in suffers critical existence failure. Another game I'm in seems to have suffered critical existence failure, so I can do Saturday. I'd probably prefer Saturday, actually.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:31:18 pm by Harry Baldman »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*snerp*
@Laboratory: I suspected as such.
@Katastrofi: "base damage of 5" means that it subtracts five boxes from a victim's healthbar by default. The successes on the die-roll add to that: so if you get three successes, you get to remove 8 boxes of health. Katastrofi is crazy-powerful but what do you expect from mad science?
@Times: Sunday, that sounds good. Looks like we're leaning towards Sund-- EDIT: Oh wait just read the edit, man that is a sudden and unfortunate turn of events, Harry Baldman.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You just wait until I can dish out Aggravated damage with it. Or Bashing damage with 8-again, 9-again. Or, for that matter, Aggravated with 8-again, 9-again.

EDIT: Oh wait just read the edit, man that is a sudden and unfortunate turn of events, Harry Baldman.

Critical existence failure - no one is safe!

This message brought to you by the Axiom of Katastrofi.

EDIT: update on scheduling, Sunday is probably still actually the best day for me to play.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:13:54 pm by Harry Baldman »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm wondering what the reason is for their presence in Castlebar, though.
Sorry, thought I had responded to this earlier.
The pair is in Castlebar because of Mary Moore. Their old cell back at [undefined home] dissolved after the famine hit, some members dying off, others leaving to try their luck elsewhere. Fitzpatrick and Granger stuck together, and, after hearing of the Castlebar Lazarus, decided to investigate.
They have no idea what they're walking into.

I think Thady (Nice reference) and Darach are going to have interesting interactions with Verity Black (A bloodsucker is a horror - a bloodsucker in charge of a RIC regiment is a nightmare) and Mary Moore (Might I suggest 'walking blasphemy' as an insult to fling at her?).
The preacher chuckles sadly; you've misread his intentions. "Oh, no. What does flinging insults get us, my son? When the lion stalks its prey, does it roar? No, I am naught but a simple priest. And that is all Ms. Moore will need to know in this life, or at least what little of it remains for her."

That sounds perfect!

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

...so, when are we actually doing this, then?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next week, I presume. Theoretically a selection process was supposed to take place, but it seems like we're just going to have four players with complete sheets by Sunday.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm wondering what the reason is for their presence in Castlebar, though.
Sorry, thought I had responded to this earlier.
The pair is in Castlebar because of Mary Moore. Their old cell back at [undefined home] dissolved after the famine hit, some members dying off, others leaving to try their luck elsewhere. Fitzpatrick and Granger stuck together, and, after hearing of the Castlebar Lazarus, decided to investigate.
They have no idea what they're walking into.
Aha, thanks for clearing that up. And yes... They are in for a surprise.  ;D

The preacher chuckles sadly; you've misread his intentions. "Oh, no. What does flinging insults get us, my son? When the lion stalks its prey, does it roar? No, I am naught but a simple priest. And that is all Ms. Moore will need to know in this life, or at least what little of it remains for her."
Yes, I see now, Father... I'm afraid such heresy does get on my nerves, but isn't it the ones we never suspect that should be the ones we fear the most?

...so, when are we actually doing this, then?
Next week, I presume. Theoretically a selection process was supposed to take place, but it seems like we're just going to have four players with complete sheets by Sunday.
I was planning on next week, yes. Though we could begin tomorrow - basically everything is prepared and I'm free that day. It might be a little short-notice, but maybe you guys would be free tomorrow at 6pm?

Oh, and for anyone who's hasn't sent in their sheet, tomorrow's the deadline, (let's say) 1pm!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15