Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Flame and Famine (A Chronicles of Darkness Roleplay set in the Irish Famine)  (Read 32472 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Character sheet.

Considering it's allowed-ish, I could see the char go Genius, especially a Hoffnung one. The concept *is* basically that kind of character only without all the neat Genius powers and innate mad skillz, only the sheer persistence and idealism.

Buuuut that sheet can only handle the basic stuff. Which is also why I'll fill in the Breaking Point quiz later.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:42:12 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Character sheet.

Considering it's allowed-ish, I could see the char go Genius, especially a Hoffnung one. The concept *is* basically that kind of character only without all the neat Genius powers and innate mad skillz, only the sheer persistence and idealism.

Buuuut that sheet can only handle the basic stuff. Which is also why I'll fill in the Breaking Point quiz later.
Excellent, here's a few things I can say already.
First thing, like the concept. A doctor in the middle of the famine is going to be a magnet for conflict, since he's worth his weight in gold. Especially fun considering one of your aspirations implies he hasn't picked a side yet.
About the Mystery Cult benefits: I've updated the Miscellaneous post with the boons of being in the Seomra Cognaraí.
And aspirations. What would satisfy your need to contact the Seomra Cognaraí? Would talking to Aoife Ward (Who is Seomra Cognaraí but is middle-management and seemingly left to fend for herself) fulfill it, or would you need to communicate with the leaders of the organization?

Another note, I've found that there are free demos for some of the splatbooks that you can download if you want a more-indepth view of the rules involved. I've updated the Miscellaneous post with links to them on DriveThruRPG. Did I mention they're free?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Things I don't understand:
Being able to literally raise the dead costs number of dots as being able to hold a conversation in a foreign language. Two dots, for both. One dot for status in the Malleus Maleficarum, and one dot to learn the specific ritual to "invoke the Apostolic right to raise the dead in Christ’s name". And then two dots in languages buys you "he is literate and conversationally fluent" in one language.

wat

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Things I don't understand:
Being able to literally raise the dead costs number of dots as being able to hold a conversation in a foreign language. Two dots, for both. One dot for status in the Malleus Maleficarum, and one dot to learn the specific ritual to "invoke the Apostolic right to raise the dead in Christ’s name". And then two dots in languages buys you "he is literate and conversationally fluent" in one language.

wat
Yeah, I was looking at the rules for Malleus Malficarum. That's nuts, unless learning a second language is more complex than resurrecting the dead. Albeit with them becoming seriously disturbed, but still.

I think it would make more sense if Status 1 and Status 3 for the Malleus Malifacarum were swapped: so for one dot you get extra Status (The Church) and for three dots you get to dig into the crazy powers. Would you prefer that?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

Didn't New World of Darkness significantly lower the cost of being multilingual?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Posting to watch, I don't think I can join.  Interested to hear how these archetypes interact as a party though!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't New World of Darkness significantly lower the cost of being multilingual?
Yes, there's a multilingual merit.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it would make more sense if Status 1 and Status 3 for the Malleus Malifacarum were swapped: so for one dot you get extra Status (The Church) and for three dots you get to dig into the crazy powers. Would you prefer that?
Yeah, that makes more sense. I've shifted my sheet to make that work.
Yes, there's a multilingual merit.
Oh, perfect! That clears up my hemming and hawing over looking to speak Gaelic, English and Latin.

My sheet's almost done mechanically, I just need to now finish the quiz and backstory.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I only just realised, talking about it. This is set in the 1840s, way before Lemuria (Bad genii) collapsed and the Peerage (Good genii, sorta) took over. In short, you may need to be an indepndent genius. That is, unless we move the formation of the Peerage ahead of schedule or if you want to be part of the Lemurians.

Just noticed this bit. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, considering the Peerage is very much a thing at this point (it has been around for decades, and the Invisible College for centuries), even if some of the Foundations like the Navigators aren't yet around, the Directors are different, and the Artificers also have the Mechanists among their number, Progenitors are the Children of the Demiurge, that sort of thing. I intend to be a Scholastic anyway (and thus represent the Invisible College), so it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Speaking of, can I start with 2 dots in Inspiration? My current idea is that this fellow's been around for a while. Probably had a bit of trouble over in Errew, actually.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:55:47 am by Harry Baldman »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Do we need any books or reading material or anything like that?
Love, scriver~

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do we need any books or reading material or anything like that?
Well, depends. At a bare minimum you can look at the quickstarts (in the miscellaneous post) and the Subnet posts (In the OP under character creation). If you have the books themselves, they go into more detail about the setting, fluff, and rules. I actually possess most of the books, so I can offer assistance with that.

Just noticed this bit. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, considering the Peerage is very much a thing at this point (it has been around for decades, and the Invisible College for centuries), even if some of the Foundations like the Navigators aren't yet around, the Directors are different, and the Artificers also have the Mechanists among their number, Progenitors are the Children of the Demiurge, that sort of thing. I intend to be a Scholastic anyway (and thus represent the Invisible College), so it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Speaking of, can I start with 2 dots in Inspiration? My current idea is that this fellow's been around for a while. Probably had a bit of trouble over in Errew, actually.
Crap, I mixed up my Genius lore. Yeah, looking at the history again, I realize this is set in an interesting period for the Genius timeline. The Peerage fighting a guerrilla war against Lemuria, which is slowly collapsing in on itself. Reflects the themes of this chronicle nicely.
I suspect the Lemurians have some Modest Proposals for how to solve the Irish famine.

As for Inspiration, 2 dots should be fine.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Just as a clarification, can I have 2 Inspiration without spending the Merit points? The rulebook says this can apparently be done if the Storyteller permits it.

Also, here's what I've got so far.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just as a clarification, can I have 2 Inspiration without spending the Merit points? The rulebook says this can apparently be done if the Storyteller permits it.

Yep, 2 Inspiration is free or charge. The sheet looks good. I'm wondering what your character's aesthetic would be, since he's a monk. Perhaps inspired by the manuscripts and artifacts medieval monks crafted?
Edit: Wait, how does a monk have two dots in Firearms?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:47:42 am by Fniff »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I don't remember if you might get 1 free INT from the template or something, but at a glance you have one dot too many in the Mental attributes (6, you only get 5 dots to distribute).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You do get a free dot in one of your mental attributes if you're a Genius.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15