Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Flame and Famine (A Chronicles of Darkness Roleplay set in the Irish Famine)  (Read 32434 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Well, I agree with the general sentiment of 'do something about the Big Background Yoke before we move onto something completely different' if we really have to(I've been having fun with the apocalyptic plot and shit though, I'll admit), I'm also mildly confused about something.

Are you suggesting Thady become a vampire, that I start playing Verity, or something else entirely as far as the 'vampires hiding in a rural village' thing goes?

also also when was this idea even discussed because i remember nothing of the sort
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I'd say Vampire Withnail & I isn't something that fits the Ireland setting, by the way. It needs a certain kind of countryside to work, I think, and a certain kind of city folk, and neither the PCs nor the dismally ruined country fit the bill.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Well, I agree with the general sentiment of 'do something about the Big Background Yoke before we move onto something completely different' if we really have to(I've been having fun with the apocalyptic plot and shit though, I'll admit), I'm also mildly confused about something.

Are you suggesting Thady become a vampire, that I start playing Verity, or something else entirely as far as the 'vampires hiding in a rural village' thing goes?

also also when was this idea even discussed because i remember nothing of the sort
It was discussed a while ago, apologies if you don't remember it. It wasn't actually planned for Flame & Famine, it was meant as an entirely different Chronicle. As for characters, that's pretty open; you can still play Thady, but if you wanna switch characters like HB is doing that's okay too.

As for the apocalyptic plot, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and since you were invested in it I'll make sure that it's wrapped up nicely.
If you don't mind me asking, what parts of it were you having fun with? I'd like to know what I was doing right with it, as well as what I was doing wrong.

On a sidenote, I've realized what another side to my issues with the plot; lots and lots of factions to deal with. Off the top of my head, there's the British Government, the Seomra Coganarai, Liam's Cult, Moore's Cult, The Fenians (Well, for a while), Aoife Ward's court (what's left of it), Unaffliated Townsfolk, and not mentioning the multiple apocalyptic deities. I think I may have a slight selfish motive for wanting to wrap up the current plot in that it's gotten really hard to manage.

They say the human brain can only keep track of six or seven things in short-term memory. I think I'll have to remember that.

I'd say Vampire Withnail & I isn't something that fits the Ireland setting, by the way. It needs a certain kind of countryside to work, I think, and a certain kind of city folk, and neither the PCs nor the dismally ruined country fit the bill.
Hrm, I see. Well, I'll keep thinking.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On a sidenote, I've realized what another side to my issues with the plot; lots and lots of factions to deal with. Off the top of my head, there's the British Government, the Seomra Coganarai, Liam's Cult, Moore's Cult, The Fenians (Well, for a while), Aoife Ward's court (what's left of it), Unaffliated Townsfolk, and not mentioning the multiple apocalyptic deities. I think I may have a slight selfish motive for wanting to wrap up the current plot in that it's gotten really hard to manage.

Of these:
  • Britvamps tie in with the Hungry Grave by awe.
  • Moore's Cult ties in with the Stranger's Shadow by worship.
  • The Winter Court ties in with the Invading Sea by respect.
  • The Fenians want to firebomb all of the aforementioned (in order - the British, Protestants, faerie folk who can't stay in the feckin' woods where they belong), most likely indiscriminately.
  • Liam's cult ties in with the unaffiliated townsfolk because really who else are you gonna convert at this point, and fight to some degree against most of the aforementioned forces either because of differences in opinion or because they're assholes.
  • And the Seomra Cognarai tie into the doomsday device, which ties the three apocalyptics together.
  • Optionally, all of this may or may not be a conspiracy by Tsarist Russians infiltrating the Irish populace for what I can only assume are sinister nWoD reasons (Tsarist mummies? Tsarist ghosts? Tsarist princesses?).

So really, the plot threads aren't really that loose or lacking in connections. You just need to pick sessions to spotlight each of the main branches (three apocalyptics and their associated powers, throw in the Fenians, Liam's cult and unaffiliated as potential adversaries for them) and you should be good.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:21:42 pm by Harry Baldman »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Game's on today, yes?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep indeed, see you lads at 6pm.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't think I'll be able to make this Sunday, unfortunately.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

I won't be able to make it either as it turns out. Sorry.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, darn. I guess we'll reschedule it for next week?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, darn. I guess we'll reschedule it for next week?

Next week should be all right!

Though would it be all right if we scheduled it an hour later than usual?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't see why not! Although, would you fellas be okay with it being on Thursday? I realize my next weekend looks quite busy.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, Thursday's actually a fine day for it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

This Thursday? No can do, unfortunately, I have the very last day of a lab practicum on Friday and it starts early.

I can easily make it any day next week so if you want and can do it we could have two sessions, one catchup midweek and one regular. Would be a shame not to play NWoD in the spoopiest time of the year :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can easily make it any day next week so if you want and can do it we could have two sessions, one catchup midweek and one regular. Would be a shame not to play NWoD in the spoopiest time of the year :P

Now there's an idea. I could do a double session Tuesday to Friday, I'm pretty sure.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apologies for the short notice, but could we do a session tomorrow at 6pm? Turns out I have a lot less spare time than I hoped.
Edit: Correction, turns out again I have less free time than I thought.
Would you guys be okay with Sunday at 6?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:51:27 pm by Fniff »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15