Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Flame and Famine (A Chronicles of Darkness Roleplay set in the Irish Famine)  (Read 32430 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

FLAME AND FAMINE
A Chronicles of Darkness roleplay set in the Irish Famine
"I fear what may happen if I go out on the road,
I dare not walk into the dark."

"London", The Elizabethian Sessions

The Great Famine was one of the darkest periods in Irish history: considering how Irish history is a series of terrible wars, failed revolts, and constant tragedy, that's saying something. It began when the staple food of the Irish underclass, the potato, underwent a blight. Thanks to the British government's laissez-faire policies and the landlords having no choice but to throw their poorer tenants out, a million starved, thousands emigrated, and scars were left on the nation that still haven't healed. All this happened in the years between 1845 and 1852, a biblical tribulation in the century of the steam engine and the train.

The Chronicles of Darkness is the second version of the (New) World of Darkness, a horror/gothic/urban fantasy roleplaying game. It takes place in a version of our own world, where the shadows run deeper and monsters dwell in the darkness.

I've tried running a few games set in the Chronicles of Darkness world before. They never really took off, mostly due to my own neglect. Even though I love the concept, I could never make the modern setting work for me. It ended up generically transatlantic: dull as dishwater, in short. However, I noticed that when I set the games in my home country of Ireland, I had some success even playing with people who never visited it. The combination of the familiarity and the uniqueness of the setting reacted with the supernatural elements, making it engaging. I decided this was a good direction to go in. However, I didn't want to set it in modern times because I wanted something new.

On a whim, I started reading up on the Famine and discovered fascinating tales of desperation and survival, rich with atmosphere. Perfect for a game of gothic horror. After all, Dracula was written by an Irishman. I made some basic plans, wrote up a few interesting characters, and here we are.  I want to run this on Roll20. I haven't decided the days yet, but I imagine the weekend would be most convenient. I'm running off GMT 0+, aka European time. I know this is an American-centric forum, so if you can't make it but know someone who could and might be interested in the game, please share them the link to this game.

I'm aiming for 4-5 players, hopefully the cream of the crop. This isn't First-Come-First-Serve, but I will set the deadline as next Sunday.

If you're interested but know nothing about Chronicles of Darkness, read all the spoilers. If you know the game just read the Synopsis, the Storykit (posted below OP), and the Authorized Beings of the Night spoilers.

Spoiler: Synopsis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)

If you're interested in joining, post a character sheet and your preferred times for roleplaying.
Images courtesy of Maggie Land Blanck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:17:14 pm by Fniff »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Miscellaneous
Spoiler: Story Kit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Quickstart/Demos (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:09:35 pm by Fniff »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I'm interested. Will have to look closer in the morning, very late now.
Love, scriver~

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Hm. This definitely seems interesting.

Much like scriver, though, I'm gonna more carefully look over this later because I am way too tired right now.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Intriguing.

Hm. I might be able to manage Sunday evening Europe-time. Possibly not this week, but likely the next. I'll look into Genius and see if I can't think of something interesting.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

I'm quite tempted.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile

Consider me interested as well.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm interested. When would the game be?
Most likely, after this Sunday to give time for myself and yourselves to organise your schedules. I imagine it would be the weekend, probably the evening.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Quite interested, will build a char when I get home.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about rolling up a Catholic priest/monk, so I'm reading the Hunter TVT article.

There's a secret organization of college girls that fight vampires. I wish I could make this sort of stuff up.
I'm crying because I'm in a public place and I can't roll on the floor, laughing.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about rolling up a Catholic priest/monk, so I'm reading the Hunter TVT article.

There's a secret organization of college girls that fight vampires. I wish I could make this sort of stuff up.
I'm crying because I'm in a public place and I can't roll on the floor, laughing.

Sadly college girls weren't a thing in the 19th century for the most part.

I'm reading the Genius book, meanwhile, currently about halfway through, and it's so far the most fun I've ever had reading a rulebook.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sadly college girls weren't a thing in the 19th century for the most part.
Still, it's just that I know a good number of sorority sisters, and I can't see any of them hunting down vampires after getting, as I believe the phrase is, 'hella turnt.'

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still, it's just that I know a good number of sorority sisters, and I can't see any of them hunting down vampires after getting, as I believe the phrase is, 'hella turnt.'

It makes more sense if you bear in mind the idea that vampires are basically diseased rapists you run into at 2 AM while incredibly drunk. Nobody needs that.

Besides, were they turned? I thought it was more like they were aware of a certain infestation of diseased rapists in the world and were taking steps to address it. Still unusually proactive for a college student, but hey.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's what I love about this RPG series. They make it sound like it's as serious as cancer but they come up with the silliest stuff. Changeling the Lost has a True Fae (Terrifying godlike fairy) that is basically a Transformer. Then they sucker-punch you with some really disturbing stuff when your guard is down, AKA the rest of Changeling.

Also, I like what you're thinking with the character. Can't wait to see it!

I'm reading the Genius book, meanwhile, currently about halfway through, and it's so far the most fun I've ever had reading a rulebook.
You know, I got the feeling you'd like Genius The Transgression.

I only just realised, talking about it. This is set in the 1840s, way before Lemuria (Bad genii) collapsed and the Peerage (Good genii, sorta) took over. In short, you may need to be an indepndent genius. That is, unless we move the formation of the Peerage ahead of schedule or if you want to be part of the Lemurians.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:54:42 pm by Fniff »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15