Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: retirement blues  (Read 766 times)

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
retirement blues
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:30:34 pm »

A lot of my dwarfs are dying of suffocation. It's tending to be my legendary skilled workers: engraver, clothier, two armorsmiths, etc. Also, they die in the tavern and only after a break from a long string of work ("retirement"). After the whole fort is outfitted with masterwork socks, every room is engraved, every squad has masterwork steel armor, etc.

My only conclusion is that they can't deal with retirement, so they drink themselves to death. Is that what is happening? Can it be avoided? Should I stop brewing sunshine?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: retirement blues
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:51:23 pm »

You can get rid of the problem by removing ALL personnel from the tavern, as all of them serve booze that cause the buggers to suffocate on their own vomit.
Dwarves don't drink themselves to death unless someone pushes a goblet of booze into their hands, and it usually requires several near suffocations before the performer finally manages to kill someone (it might be that the repeated abuse of the lungs build up damage).
It's been speculated some weak stats increase the risk (disease susceptibility and recuperation have been mentioned), but I haven't seen any direct indication of this being the case (I've used DT to do a post mortem check on the stats of the deceased by not refreshing it on death). The victims haven't had good stats, but not exceptionally weak ones either.

Edit: It's indirectly related to retirement in that not having work means more idle time, which is often spent in the poisoners' den.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:54:32 pm »

I've needed an excuse to "clean up" my tavern. This is perfect.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:57:19 pm »

Another idea might be to re-enable hauling for the retirees. It's probably what keeps my otherwise useless rangers alive. Now that I think about it, Bards have died for similar reasons. Might be good to get them out of the tavern occasionally.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 06:56:43 pm »

This is a separate issue, but those freeloaders have been drinking my booze for three years. Over a hundred of them. Only one petition the whole time. Also, still no barony. All requirements met.

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 02:50:53 am »

The assigned barkeeps and performers in taverns aren't workers, they're murderers.  Save your dwarves, let them handle their own individual booze related needs.

As for visitors?  Kill 'em with kindness (aka alcohol poisoning)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 04:55:34 am »

The assigned barkeeps and performers in taverns aren't workers, they're murderers.  Save your dwarves, let them handle their own individual booze related needs.

As for visitors?  Kill 'em with kindness (aka alcohol poisoning)
You can't do both consistently, as you can't set up visitors only taverns [no such restriction] with serving, while have the permanent resident/citizen only one be dry. You could try to have a booze serving everyone welcome tavern in an inconvenient out of the way location and a self serving resident only one in a central location, though. That ought to keep citizen deaths down and visitor ones up.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:05:47 pm »

This must be a bug. Dwarves are resistent too booze. It cant o anything to them, except maybe mind control
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 01:43:27 pm »

No. Dwarves have oversized livers, and thus an enhanced resistance to alcohol, but they're not immune. I do, however, consider the dwarven mortality rate to be a fair bit too high: only the very most susceptible dwarves should die from it. There ought to be a three step process, where the first weakness (immoderation and possibly others) would cause the dorf to accept another glass when still nauseous from the previous one. The second weakness allows the dorf to become unconscious (and thus take lung damage), and a third one would be where a weak dorf succumbs to repeated lung abuse. I suspect that's about how it works, but if so, it should probably be tweaked. A sapient creature not subject to the first condition would reject/not order another drink while still recovering from the previous one.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 02:32:07 pm »

For now, I have retired my tavern and converted it into a library. Them dwarfs can't get enough Factual Surgery, The Human the Easy Way, and We See Sloths.