Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine mining theory  (Read 599 times)

Potatosaurus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adamantine mining theory
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:44:50 am »

Hi all

I've been playing more DF and I have a theory that I've not good enough to test. So I thought I'd ask here :)

The theory is in regards to completely mining out Adamantine after the HFS.

I have two similar thoughts.

1. Using the Magma Piston would it be possible to drop 1x1 'pillars' right next to a Adamantine squares until the entire vein on the current z-level is surrounded? The 2 high pillar would be to allow a ramp on the top and have the magma flow to the side into a prepared area.

2. Create a giant square that is several z-levels high (equal to the depth of adamantine) to drop down and fence of the entire vein and pump out the magma.

3. Just thought of now: use lots of pumps to keep the magma sea back?

I recall that dropping pillars into the magma sea for a piston doesn't work as has infinite depth or somesuch though once the HFS is done then you can move down through it and it appears to have limits.

Any thoughts?

Potatosaurus

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine mining theory
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 04:13:10 am »

Cave-ins onto magma flow with magma on it results in the immediate annihilation of the cave-in material (and anything else dropped onto such a tile disappears as well, although I haven't tried to drop artifacts).
Lots of pumps can keep the sea at bay, but it costs dearly in FPS if done on a large scale.

The only reasonably method I know of is based on obsidianization. There are two main variations of this:
1. Obsidianization of a rectangular area of each successive magma sea layer around each pillar to create an inverted step pyramid with a footprint at each level to encompass all the candy outcroppings. The way I do it is to find the outermost corners that would accomplish this for each level and then expand diagonally outwards for each layer of magma above that level. Use the maximum corners of all such measurements for the top level and and each lower level one tile smaller. There are two ways to do this.
1A. Obsidianize the whole level and then channel the obsidian out.
1B. Obsidianize the borders and pump the magma away (using a Portable Drain is rather useful).
2. Instead of targeting the spires, target the magma sea external borders and obsidianize them. In this case pumping is the only reasonably method, as complete obsidianization requires a huge amount of work. It take quite some time to pump away one level of the sea to allow you to get at the next one, though, so the 1. methods are the only practical ones.

Regardless of method used, the magma flow level is a pain to manage, since water on magma on top of a magma flow will cause both fluids to annihilate each other, rather than result in obsidian. The staircase method/trick will have to be used there (I think massive pumping works as well, but it's would require quite a few pumps and would probably not be too friendly to the FPS).

A stupid dwarf trick that can be mentioned is that if you wall off the magma sea you can retrofit the external walls to be vertical most of the way through pump usage (and patience, due to the FPS effects).

Potatosaurus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine mining theory
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:57:21 pm »

Thanks for the information, it gives me something to work towards :)

Cheers