Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Doom 2016  (Read 6974 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Doom 2016
« on: April 15, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »

You know... I'm going to re-write this... because my feelings are changing as I reflect on that session.

Just played an hour or so of the Doom open beta.

Thoughts...

It's refreshing to play an arena style shooter like this again.  I got into a rocket dueling groove that I haven't felt since the late 90's.  I liked how streamlined it felt.  Although it really didn't feel reminiscent of a Doom game at all.

On the other hand, the pace was a little slow.  The movement lacked a feeling of momentum that was essential to earlier arena shooters.  Rocket jumping didn't seem to work.  Turning into a revenant was kinda dumb, and felt like it spoiled the action more than anything.  Lack of mobility + weapons being balanced all to equal utility meant that there was no metagame to compete for a good map control rhythm, which is what the old classic deathmatch games were all about.

But why did I stop playing after only an hour?  Well, the first 45 min or so were great.  I was put right into a server that played really smooth.  Then I took a break to check out character customization, because I was getting loaded with unlockable junk while playing.  Wanted to see what it was.  Then I tried to get back into the game, and I was put on 3 unplayably laggy servers in a row.  No server browser available.  All I could do was keep hitting getting assigned a game and hoping for the best over and over, which is not fucking cool.  If there's no servers available with good pings, let me see that fact for myself.  Don't make me waste 15 minutes rolling the dice.  And this is why PC gamers fucking hate consoles and their shitty ports.

And... I don't know about the single-player... I'm still disappointed with the art direction.

If the game planned to have good modding support, I would be all about it.  Fans would fix this up in no time.  But there's a lot of claims out there that the built in level editor, Snap Map, will be the full extent of modding available.  If anything kills the game's success, that will be it.  And I have a feeling the extent of the game's success will be limited to early interest from console kids who don't know any better.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:41:17 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Doom 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 09:53:31 pm »

I'm not convinced that the multiplayer route was the right direction for Doom to go in. High speed is needed for such things and the game hasn't convinced me that it does that. For arena FPS I would recommend looking into Unreal Tournament which has a quite playable Beta released at this time.

It's like... I think Doom would need to be made like Painkiller or Serious Sam; Fast paced, ease of movement and hordes of monsters but I don't think the company making it or Bethesda have the right mindset to create such a thing, or are willing to deviate from the formula enough. The game seems divided between cinematic FPS and arena fighting but one kind of counteracts the other.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:48:44 am »

It's actually pretty fun, apart from the demon pickups and special weapons, as well as the occasional balance issue/lag.
Bear in mind, the only arena shooter I was ever really a fan of was Unreal Tournament, unless you count old games like Perfect Dark.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:00:57 am »

I feel there are better alternatives available for movement-based multiplayer shooters. TF2, UT and Xonotic are the first ones to come to mind.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:38:19 am »

I feel there are better alternatives available for movement-based multiplayer shooters. TF2, UT and Xonotic are the first ones to come to mind.
TF2 is unfortunately dead in some regions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 09:41:19 pm »

Tried Xonotic and the new Unreal Tournament today...

Xonotic seems mostly dead.  Very few people around.  I played some CTF.  I liked the feel of it, and especially the grappling hooks... but it was a stupid railgun-only server.  I fucking hate one hit kill mechanics.  This is also the biggest reason I could never truly get into Quake 3.

Unreal Tournament... was nice... but to be honest, no UT game has ever scratched the Quake itch for me.  I think it's the weapons.  Also couldn't find a server that didn't lag pretty badly.

Sigh... Even with the revitalization effort going on the last couple years for arena shooters, nothing really matches the feel that Quake 1 had.  I know it's stupid to expect anything to be exactly that game.  But nothing has ever hit on those core elements for me.  That freedom of movement and responsiveness, and the weapons that reward prediction and manipulation more than twitch accuracy.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 10:17:27 pm »

Just play quake 1 dude.  90% of the people reviewing it seem to be having the same problem, wanting to play quake 1 and then finding the game they're playing to not be quake 1.

People saying this is slow should probably lay off the meth.  To me it feels like one of those games where you flail randomly (cause there's no fucking way i'm gonna be able to hit people on purpose when they move this fast and can teleport) and then if you win you say what you did was a strategy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:38:52 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 10:37:43 pm »

I've tried getting back into it a couple times.  I think the community at this point is pretty small and mostly schedules games.  And everyone who plays it is super pro to the point of being no fun to play with.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 02:55:04 am »

Actually... I had given up on it a long time ago, because I didn't think the developers were going to stick with it... but Reflex looks like it's doing pretty well.  They've come a long way.  It's almost exactly what I'm looking for in an arena shooter.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:01:09 pm »

It's gotta be easier than this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EWkxWWmnyxc

New WR for the UV-MAX speedrun category for Doom 2. That's killing all enemies barring Lost Souls on UV hardness, while speedrunning, glitchless. Kind of how it's meant to be played, but 100% kills and faster.

Nope. The new Doom is nothing like that from what I can see. Which might be a good thing for us oldies, who's reflexes probably aren't up to that level of awesome any more.

The good old days, where things like monster density, difficulty and player skill were your problem, not the developer's. They gave you a save/load function, so you deal with it. It's meant to be hard.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:34:27 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 07:58:08 am »

For the record, the old Doom was nothing like that either, for 99% of the people playing.
Shoes...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 08:13:32 am »

Yeah. In fact, Doom 1 (except for the fourth episode and the boss battles) involved a lot of slowly going around corners in tightly cramped corridors. In 2 there were more frantic levels where you went around at full speed circle strafing around everything, but there were still Doom 1-style levels.

I think what people really wanted for this is Quake 1 + Doom 2, where this is probably more like Doom 3 + Wolfenstein (the newer ones).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 08:36:32 am »

I was going to ask how this compared to Duke Nukem 3D, or TF2 in terms of movement speed and stuff, since I never really played the Doom games and only played the Quake 3 demo for a little while (and the modern version is too fast for me, apparently, and so is the new UT).

But then I checked the system requirements
Minimum
CPU:   Intel Core i5-2400 or better / AMD FX-8320 or better
RAM: 8 GB RAM
GPU:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) or better / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB) or better

I guess I can just ignore this game too. vOv
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 12:24:36 pm »

Nope. The new Doom is nothing like that from what I can see. Which might be a good thing for us oldies, who's reflexes probably aren't up to that level of awesome any more.

Yeah, I've slowed down a bit.  I think that's more from playing less intense games and letting my reflexes get rusty over the last few years, then from aging.  But it was never so much about reflexes for me, anyway.  I always felt that developing an intuition for the flow of the game was more important.  When I considered myself really good at Quake 1 was when I would find myself firing a rocket at a doorway, because I could sense that someone was about to walk through it and act instantly on that guess and often be right about it with barely any conscious thought involved.  I also like to play snipers in FPS, which is normally seen as a twitch reflex role... but I do well enough based on predicting movements.  I'd often lose sniper duels as a result, but terrorize anyone else on the field far more than average if that suppression wasn't there.

I think what people really wanted for this is Quake 1 + Doom 2

Yeah, basically... what I want is Quake 1 gameplay + Doom 2 art direction + modern game engine technology.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:04 pm »

Doom: 48 Minutes of Single-Player Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxfQ79-D1lk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4