Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collapsing a floor  (Read 390 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collapsing a floor
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:10:26 pm »

When I've collapsed floors in the past I've only seen them go down to the z-level immediately below the floor I collapse.  I assumed this was normal and all that I had to worry about.

I just had one collapse three z-levels...is this "normal"?  I wasn't even worried about my shops two and three levels down and now I've got around 30 dead dwarfs from where the floor collapsed and appears to have punched thru the extra 1-2 levels into crowded areas.  WTH?

CCCCCCCCCC (The top floor that I collapsed to make a two z-level high room)
DDDDDDDDDD (this floor was just dug our to allow the collapse...done this a hundred times...this is where I expected the collapse to end.)
OOcccOOccc
OcOOcccOcO (these two floors were my workshops and storage areas.  The c areas are where my shops/storage were and where dwarfs were crushed two levels down.  The O area is halls or non-touched areas that were not collapsed or affected.)
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collapsing a floor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 03:35:05 pm »

Cave-ins keep falling down through floors until they hit something more solid, like a wall.  See Results of a cave-in for details.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Collapsing a floor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:29:17 pm »

I have had a 12-z collapse in which a child rode the floor the entire way down and flattened a miner, who exploded on impact.

One of my fondest memories, really.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0