Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Candy (Possible spoilers)  (Read 631 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Candy (Possible spoilers)
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:31:38 am »

Hey all, so in a recent fortress that I've since abandoned I finally came across some adamantite that was reachable (without adding water to magma or anything convoluted)...just ready to dig into.  I've always avoided it for the known reasons but this time decided to "touch it" just to see what happens.  So this was the top of a flute and I cleared out the entire section with nothing happening.  Naturally I was expecting clowns the second I dug into it. 

So is this normal that clowns didn't appear on the top level of the candy and there was no "breach" into hell?  I just wondered so the next time I find any I can be a bit more prepared.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Candy (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:51:48 am »

So is this normal that clowns didn't appear on the top level of the candy and there was no "breach" into hell?  I just wondered so the next time I find any I can be a bit more prepared.

The hollow part is always a 2x2 area.  If your digging will not potentially reveal a hidden 2x2 area within the adamantine spire, then it's safe.  You can very often remove several tiles of the stuff with no risk.  But if you start getting greedy, then you risk breaching the barrier into the hollow part.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:00:56 am »

Yes, it's normal. You never know how far up a spire the hollow part goes (and it's individual per spire, so one may have 60 levels of completely safe candy, while the next one doesn't have any solid portion at all, excluding the cap, of course). I generally harvest all the safe bits and leave the unsafe parts for (much) later. I also usually harvest all the magma drenched safe bits. You can also carve a fortification in the spire to see if the tile inside of it is empty space or solid, but when doing so you should obviously be prepared both for an FPS hit and a quarantine area around the fortification, as well as a potential loss of the engraver.

I assumed ragingcajun was aware of the nature of safely harvestable candy, but if not, it can be found in the spoiler part of the appropriate wiki page.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 02:42:15 pm »

This is sortoff on topic of safe candy mining. What happens if a cave in crushes the spire open?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »

Well, that won't happen unless you shear the top level so there's only a floor between you and the hollow bit, as a solid level will stop a cave-in. However, I have no reason to assume the way you breach it has any significant impact on the result (i.e. cracking it open results in what happens when you crack it open). The only difference I can think of is that you can engineer a cave-in that's completely safe as everything can be sealed before the cave-in is triggered (allowing you to safely shear away all the safe levels at the expense of a fair bit of engineering [I'd use obsidian casting for the drop], one per spire and level).

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 06:34:35 pm »

Well, this is what succesion games are for! Doomforests, prepare for SCIENCE!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane