Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Kingdom of the Stepstones (CKII-GOT)  (Read 10620 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Kingdom of the Stepstones (CKII-GOT)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 02:03:20 pm »

Get the gold!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 06:44:04 pm »

+1 to the above
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 07:49:47 pm »

Trying a bit different of a format, giving perspective from dated points rather than all at once.  Seems a bit choppy in places to me, but I wrote this quickly to post before a class.

November 11, 8286 ALN

Salladhor Saan squashed any nervousness within himself.  Some still lingered, but what remained could be attributed to acting as champion for his wife at this small tournament.  Preparations for the Great Raid were underway, Khorane and Meros leading it, and, if it proved possible, each of the capitals of the Seven Kingdoms accessible by water would be raided by his forces.  Admittedly, nothing ever went according to plan, but at least a few of the seats of the Lord Paramounts and the capital itself would be raided by his crews.  As his mind wandered, he also recalled being invited to a feast by Davos Seaworth recently.  'Might as well go to it.  Who knows how long we have left to live.'

January 24, 8387 ALN

The feast had proven well worth its time.  He had managed to speak with Davos for awhile, and while some questions needed to be dodged, the Pirate King felt that he had deflected suspicion that the Great Raid was organized by him.  As he entered his solar, he found a couple messages.

The first were from Lord Xhal II, requesting to be placed in oversight over Lotus Valley and Stonehead.  Both requests were accepted.  It would take a bit of time for the information to reach the Summer Islands, but he did need someone down there that had a slightly better than average opinion of himself.

The second group of messages were from the crews participating in the Great Raid.   The western fleet had managed to strip the Arbor bare, outside of the fortresses, but noted that the area seemed as if it had already come under raid.  'Disappointing, but expected of a war with the Ironborn,' Salladhor thought.  The message continued that they were moving on to Oldtown and hoped to capture a Maester if it proved possible.  A message from the eastern fleet told that the assaults upon King's Landing and Dragonstone had to be abandoned, the former due to a massive Ironborn and Reach presence within the area, and the latter due to the forces having been readied, likely waiting for transport.  'Shame.  Still, it appears they found a target in Gulltown.'

The final message was from Spymaster Bellegere.  Apparently, it was found out the reason the Reach had remained out of the war.  Lord Walter of Harrenhal was rebelling against Lord Paramount Hoster Tully.  The war favored the forces of Harrenhal for now, but predictions had the Tullys eventually proving victorious within the conflict.

February 2, 8287 ALN

Salladhor was proving quite cheerful.  The raids were going extremely well, and, much more importantly, he had just found out his wife was pregnant.  It was proving quite a fortuitous day.

July 9, 8287 ALN

An outbound message from the Maesters had been temporarily captured before the raven was sent upon its way further.  Winter was coming.  The Western fleet had just been finishing up their raid upon Casterly Rock when it was intercepted, and it would prove quite useful.  Ordinarily, such information ordinarily would take a greater length of time in order to reach the Stepstones, and this interception would allow for better preparations for the coming Long Winter.

January 31, 8288 ALN

Allard was proving to be an exceptional learner.  He was growing to become a capable swordsman and quite the socialite.  There were still many things to improve in, but he was learning most capably.

As another note of joy, the Pirate King's daughter, Serala, had been born.  It was a shame that pirates would not follow a female leader.  He needed to get a son soon.

On the news of the Great Raid, Castamere had been looted utterly.  The castle once again burned, though due to the actions of his crews rather than those of Tywin Lannister.  In addition, both Sunspear and Storm's End proved to be lucrative endeavors.  With their designated targets exhausted, the eastern crews were moving to link up with the Western Fleet before the sail home.

A couple had eloped and were both temporarily imprisoned so that he could save face.  While he did not mind the marriage, he did not want to burn political capital upon simply ignoring this action.

In addition, Ternesia had gotten into some conflict with Priest Pynto, and he had to temporarily suspend the man from the council.  As the only holy man of the Pirate faith (Plunder is god), he was soon reinstated, but there was likely to be some minor issues in the future.

March 16, 8288 ALN

More failures by the emissary to Braavos, this time to Master Joss of the Titan.  The failures had not affected his primary target, but they were still failures.  Time was starting to run out on the potential betrothal.  Salladhor needed a son and a success soon.

At least on another front, things were better.  Enheartened by the success with Allard, Davos had sent another of his children, Maric, to be trained by him.

April 16, 8288 ALN

The Great Raid had ended.  The spoils accounted for 264.8 units of gold and the prestige from the raids had proven to be equal, or greater, some conquests.  Speaking of conquests, he had further areas of the Summer Islands to conquer.

November 5, 8288 ALN

Davos Seaworth had died.  A bloody flux outbreak within the hold granted to him by Stannis had claimed his life.  It both greatly saddened and angered Salladhor that there had been no message had been sent informing him of his friend's death, much less the lack of a request to attend the funeral of his friend.  Still, he had made a promise to Davos that none of his lands were to be raided, and he would honor this oath as long as he lived, no matter what he thought of Davos's heir.

December 17, 8288

'Fuck whatever this disease is.  The conquests feel like the only good thing to happen to me in months.  Except for that failure in Lumbersloft.  They better get their act together.'

March 6, 8289 ALN

'I now firmly believe victory makes me better.  I get ill after the failure of Lumbersloft, and I become better with victory in Sweet Harbour and the liberation of Lumbersloft.'

A message had arrived upon his desk, and he looked through it.  King Robert the Drunkard had died under mysterious circumstances, and, with all his children having been stillborn, Stannis Baratheon had become King.

August 3, 8289 ALN

'Walano is now firmly under the control of the Stepstones.  Ternesia had begged me for a hunting bird. I'll get her a falcon to commemorate the success,' Salladhor thought to himself.

A message from his spymaster came in.  Apparently, Tywin had decided to marry off the widowed Cersei to Benjen Stark.  'Wonder if he is collecting support to strike at the Stepstones...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:14:19 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:23 pm »

Updated newest post with images.  Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in having this being hosted as a multiplayer, with all players participating making updates of some kind detailing events, in the future?  Would at least be neat to have someone playing as the wildlings, another in one of the island chains on the south of the map, and another acting in the Andals region of Essos.  Granted, it may be better to restart from scratch if that is done...  Anyway, thoughts?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 12:08:41 am »

I would, probably have to install the 1.1 version though, I doubt they've removed it from Moddb or the variety of other mirrors already. Andals, Wildlings, and another island chain sounds interesting. Although, I am a bit more curious about playing as Qarth (Qaarth or however it is spelled) but that might be too far east to be relevant.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 12:26:10 am »

I would, probably have to install the 1.1 version though, I doubt they've removed it from Moddb or the variety of other mirrors already. Andals, Wildlings, and another island chain sounds interesting. Although, I am a bit more curious about playing as Qarth (Qaarth or however it is spelled) but that might be too far east to be relevant.

Actually picked up 1.1.2, checksum EUSC, and have made a slight modification to the Pirate trait so that it gives you a +25 if both have the trait, rather than a stacking -50.  Net is still a -25, so they're still pissed at you, but you don't immediately lose your friends due to giving them land.  Seriously, I gave stuff to a friend my character had made in a different game, and it immediately dropped into a negative opinion due to the original state.  Fuck that.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 12:49:02 am »

Presumably those changes wouldn't have to be made on my end? Not that it would be very hard, I've already found the pirate trait.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 01:40:00 am »

Presumably those changes wouldn't have to be made on my end? Not that it would be very hard, I've already found the pirate trait.

Not really.  I had the settings changed in 1.1.1, and updating to 1.1.2 in all likelyhood reset things to default.

If I do go through with the multiplayer, I'd likely set a minimum difficulty of 40%.  Would be at 50%, but the Kingdom has reached 44%.  I think Qaarth has reduced to 39%, but nearby New Ghis is still in the 40's, I believe.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 09:40:36 pm »

December 8291

Salladhor looked out from his Solar at the beginnings of the town established at the base of the capital fortress of the Dark Den.  The last two years had passed by so quickly that they hardly seemed to be of any note.  Had he really won two wars, capturing the last holdouts upon the northernmost of the Summer Isles?  Looking over his books, it did seem that way.  Hundreds of miles of territory captured so quickly that it seemed little more than a footnote.  Then there was the plot that eliminated one of the leaders of a faction started upon the Summer Isles to depose him.  It had proven successful, but he had been found out in the end.  True, hiring those mercenaries was dishonorable, but it had to be done to keep the realm stable. 

'Keep the realm stable,' he mentally scoffed.  'I do not yet have a son and these pirates will never accept my daughter at the helm of the fleet.  It is good Allard is turning out so well.  At least some legacy is virtually guaranteed to outlive me.  Heh, there is one option I can do.  Renounce piracy utterly.  But for the others to follow my decision, I will need a massive realm, at least five times that of what I have now.  Took me near seven years to carve one of this size, though...Fine then.  If I must live to be seventy to conquer enough, then I will.  The Kingdom of the Stepstones will survive.  It must.'

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 12:52:55 am »

Since Allard is your ward, maybe you can force him to Matrilineally marry your daughter.  He can be a son!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 09:59:01 pm »

Out of curiosity, is the Old Gods DLC required in order to make use of the concubine system?  I want to increase the chance of getting an heir, but I don't have the option to get concubines, despite several of my vassals having taken some.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 06:58:55 pm »

Pagans, Zoroastrians, followers of the Indian religions and all tribal rulers (including Christian and Jewish religions), rather than marrying multiple wives, may take up to three concubines.

Most of that is protected behind DLCs, so technically no but generally yes.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 07:27:43 pm »

Pagans, Zoroastrians, followers of the Indian religions and all tribal rulers (including Christian and Jewish religions), rather than marrying multiple wives, may take up to three concubines.

Most of that is protected behind DLCs, so technically no but generally yes.

Ah well.  Played up to 8300 (been playing to try and reach the point there is a son) and have a fourth kid on the way.  Third was a daughter that sadly died stillborn, but it does mean I have some decent odds of this next kid being a son to inherit the titles of:
Emperor of the Summer Sea <Yes, this title does cause him to be labelled as 'Pirate Emperor'>
King of the Stepstones
King of the Summer Islands
High Lord of the Northern Stepstones
High Lord of the Central Stepstones
High Lord of the Western Stepstones
High Lord of the Southern Stepstones
Lord of Dark Den
Lord of the Skulls
(Hopefully) Lord of Koj <More central location for governance and there is a special building there>

Minor question, with the date being around when the White Walkers traditionally showed up, do you want me to use the event to spawn them in?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 10:37:11 pm »

Sure, I personally wanna see what they do.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 02:42:02 pm »

August 5, 8300 A.L.N.

King Salladhor Saan the Vain, First Emperor of the Empire of the Summer Sea and King of the Summer Islands and the Stepstones, High Lord of the Northern Stepstones, Exalted among Men, and Lord of Dark Den and the Skulls found himself pacing within the study of the island fortress created so long ago.  The expansion of his holdings was going swiftly, but still not fast enough for his concerns.  A courtier has recently birthed a son, so a matrilineal marriage between one of his daughters and that individual was an option that could be explored, though a less than favorable one.  He had been hoping that an opportunity of doing so with one of the sons of one of the Pirate Lords would have been an option, but he doubted that some would go for it.  His attempts at inducing centralization to the realm were greeted less than favorably by the vassal states under his control.  He couldn't lower the authority, either, as there was great anger towards him coming from the Summer Sea and the peoples of the Stepstones were Pirates.

'The realm is nearing a size where I would be able to renounce piracy if it came to that.  If by nearing, you mean only slightly over halfway there,' Salladhor grumbles to himself.

Turning away from his files, he looks to the offers of vassalization and scowls.  None had accepted his offers, so years would need to be spent pacifying the remainder of the Summer Isles, then conquer the Basilisk Isles.  After that, he would need to either turn towards Lys or Tyrosh.  With their stability, he didn't like his odds, even though his forces were still growing from the new conquests.  A single one still outnumbered him two to one and the others were likely to come to aid.

Another message was of better note.  He had received it from his former ward, Allard.  The Emperor had kept in touch with his ward after the transferring to be under the tutelage of Grand Maester Pycelle by the actions of King Stannis the Just.  As to the contents of the letter, it indicated that he and his brother Dale had been doing fairly well for themselves in East Andalos, he had even achieved the status of being Spymaster.  Salladhor sighed as he recalled the greed of Renly Baratheon conquering Rainwood that had forced the family's eldest to be forced to flee to Essos.  At least a few had been protected by King Stannis, one even getting the Lordship of Duskendale.  Still, Salladhor hoped that one day either the Iron Throne would fracture or the Empire would grow to have such strength it could directly assault the Stormlands in order to repay the slight.

The Emporer continued working his way through the work that had accumulated.  As he did so, his thoughts began to drift once more to the future of the empire.  He hoped his wife's current pregnancy would follow through much better than the last.  He was not sure if he could handle another stillborn like that had occurred to Brea...

Save was from before I seized titles in order to make the dutchies of High Lord of the Central/Southern/Western Stepstones.  Anyway, are there any further opinions on whether I should trigger the White Walkers or not?
Pages: 1 [2] 3