Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower and goblins in the tundra  (Read 1430 times)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower and goblins in the tundra
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:41:55 pm »

Trying a bit of a challenge.  I embarked with all 5 races as neighbors.  In the freezing tundra.  The only easy thing is that I have a volcano.  And a brook, but that is frozen year round, so no water on the surface.  I am trying the military skills embark - each of the 7 has rank 5 teacher and rank 4 of either discipline, armor user, shield user, fighter, dodger, archer or wrestler.

I'll add some more notes and screenshots after sleeping on my bed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:58:18 am by mek42 »
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tower and goblins in the tundra
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:05:02 am »

No screenies yet, not enough time before I need to do my civilian job.

Some mistakes I've made: in a no wood embark, there is little need for any copper battleaxes at all.  I let an alpaca starve in a cage because I forgot about it.  That is going to be an expensive trap.

Things I need to get done: add drawbridges to close the fort.  Ready the magma furnace area (my dwarves need to haul in all the ore from the magma channel first).
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 04:25:17 pm »

Here are some screenies.

The embark:

Helheim by Mark, on Flickr

And here are the skills of my dwarfs at the end of year 1:

Military_Skills_Year1end by Mark, on Flickr

Civilian_Skills_Year1End by Mark, on Flickr

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:31:46 pm »

Blast.  Literally as I was looking at my entrance, deciding I should make a bridge to be able to turtle in if something shows up, something showed up.  A weretortoise that killed my whole squad of teachers and two military immigrants.  I'm going to savescum to the latest seasonal save.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 11:54:58 am »

Ptw!  Mine to the caverns for your wood. What are you doing for water? Well? I have wanted to try a hard embark but am still just satisfied with productive easyish forts.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 12:49:18 pm »

I'm making copious booze.  Once I have metal armored dwarfs I'll dig to cavern for water.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 11:14:53 pm »

Ok.  I save scummed, a were-tortoise still showed up too soon for me to isolate the fort, but only killed one dwarf.

And infected one other.  I've never dealt with lycanthropy before.  Saved the game and will do some reading.  Was going to toss it in the bag, but your comment has inspired me to figure out what I want to do and keep going.  My first thought was to send him (her?) outside with outdoor bedroom and dining room.  How to keep them outside though?  Can't make them a woodcutter, no trees.  I also don't think there are any surface plants, so plant gathering is out.  Burrows for one dwarf seems exploity to me.  It isn't their fault they got bit, so I don't want to chain them up forever.  Maybe when I get the furnaces going I can dig to the cavern, give him iron armor, sacrifice a pick and send him down to start the underhome.  Need to think about this.  Suggestions on how to keep a mostly friendly were-tortoise dwarf useful, without any direct population loss, are most welcome.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 11:28:09 pm »

how do you know he is infected?  I never can quite tell, honestly I usually just give him a small stockpile and a workshop in a room and lock them in for a season with a animal or two, usually enough time to tell if they turn and will kill the animal.  Just make sure he is full before locking him in, and maybe throw some food down a whole.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 07:01:47 pm »

He has turned a couple times.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 07:31:02 pm »

Suggestions on how to keep a mostly friendly were-tortoise dwarf useful, without any direct population loss, are most welcome.
If you don't want to use a Burrow to herd the Dwarf in question, just wait until he gets to his room, then lock the door.  Such confinement is totally legit, and will give you time to make some equipment for him.  Heck, you can also make him your Bookkeeper and set the Precision Level to maximum.  I don't exactly how a locked up Wereturtle keeps tabs on everything, but he will.  Probably the same way a confined Vampire is always elected Major ::)