Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iron vs. Bronze?  (Read 1880 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron vs. Bronze?
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:20:45 am »

Which is superior for armor/weapons?

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Iron vs. Bronze?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 09:20:41 am »

Wiki: Weapon and armor quality (scroll to bottom)

Wiki: Armor Material

In short, they're about the same, with bronze being slightly stronger and heavier (i.e. better & worse for armor).
For blunt weapons, go with bronze.

If you have plenty of iron and trees, you may as well be making steel instead, which is far better than both at everything.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 12:28:35 pm »

If you have plenty of iron and trees,

and flux

you may as well be making steel instead, which is far better than both at everything.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:36:33 pm »

Short answer, they are roughly comparable. It depends what you are using them for but they are quite similiar. Personally, I think iron is slightly better unless you are making blunt weapons.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »

I was thinking adventure mode, and thanks.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »

I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 07:30:04 pm »

There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 07:21:47 pm »

trees

Why trees? Why not magma?

Steel needs coke which is easily obtained in mass amounts from bituminous coal ordered from caravans to make.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:38:09 pm »

trees

Why trees? Why not magma?

Steel needs coke which is easily obtained in mass amounts from bituminous coal ordered from caravans to make.

Trees are more convenient for early game steel production than trading is. Caravans are pretty bad for carrying barely any of a rock even when you specifically request it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 02:03:35 am »

In an embark with the appropriate metals available, iron and bronze will probably fill the same niche; at least, for civs that don't have access to steel.
However, bronze production is limited by your supply of relatively-scare tin, as opposed to relatively abundant iron.
So if you stick at said embark long enough, eventually all your gear would end up iron - which neatly reflects ancient history, actually.

Of course, Dwarven steel changes the dynamic and gives the advantage to iron. But in terms of the bronze/iron debate, the issue is really an economic one.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 04:11:03 am »

One advantage of bronze in Fortress Mode is that it is cheaper than dirt when embarking.
Cassiterite + Native copper or Malachite = 8 Bronze bars, for only 12 embark points. That's 1.5 points per bronze. Which is cheaper than clay (3 points) :). Hence cheaper than dirt (okay total cost is slightly higher due to coke/charcoal but 8 bars per charcoal sure ain't bad).

Iron costs 6 pts each. Steel costs a good deal more due to flux and charcoal, but is still a bargain to embark with.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 07:19:43 am »

In fort mode I think it's usually a question of availability. If a site has iron ore, it's iron; if it ash cassiterite, then bronze.

It's adventure mode I'm wondering about, since in that case sites often have significant stashes of both.