Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Happy, fun ways to deal with overpopulation  (Read 4807 times)

Jolokia_94

• Escaped Lunatic
  • "Scumbags & Scallywags!"
    • View Profile
Re: Happy, fun ways to deal with overpopulation
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 08:46:55 am »

I regularly use DFHack to mass-slaughter my dwarf(s), and maintain a relatively low population.
It's a good source of meat/fat - I wish you could use the bones to make tradeable commodities~ :-\
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:53:25 am by Jolokia_94 »

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 04:11:21 pm »

I regularly use DFHack to mass-slaughter my dwarf(s), and maintain a relatively low population.
It's a good source of meat/fat - I wish you could use the bones to make tradeable commodities~ :-\
D: you goblin!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 01:50:18 pm »

Do cheesemakers produce...... MILKBONES?

:]
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 03:32:07 pm »

Until the hemp can be utilised in the proper way, the only happy way to deal with overpopulation is to drink them to death.

I also keeps your karma intact, because they always have a CHOICE not to drink.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 05:52:08 pm »

... more farms?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 03:14:26 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 08:28:57 pm »

You could always do what I did, embark in a frozen tundra far north of all civs and forget to keep the still running until the store you built up to 3000 drinks runs empty and you forget it while focusing on a massive glassmaking and metalworking industry. I think I'm going to have a tantrum spiral soon
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 01:32:18 pm »

You guys now you can just throttle maximum population in the ini file, right? You can also just minimize wealth and barely trade with the dwarven caravan to reduce migrant sizes.  Mass prducing masterwork diamond-studded solid gold codpieces and just GIVING them to the caravan makes ALL the Urists want to come to your fort.

Also, I seriously doubt that a migrant wave is destroying your food supplies, but if your farms really are at capacity, you can... idk... make more farms?

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 05:08:40 pm »

My diamond studden codpiece brings all the Urists to the fort!
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 09:18:37 pm »

Back when Anvillocked was a young little 200 dwarf fort I had 3 vampires locked in side by side rooms dug in the dirt and coffins lined both sides of the hall. With gold table and chair, masterwork rock doors. For years, tho naked (and thirsty) they were the happiest dwarfs in the fort!!!
Then I thought id use the justice system to convict them, only 1 got beaten, they all got jail time.
I lock the doors ro their cels. Years pass, the fort grows large. Fps nosedives.
Maybe 3 vampires trying to path to "dinner" is hurting fps.
I let all 3 out to feed, when they do ill convict them!
4 drained bodies real quick. LET THE BEATINGS COMMENCE!!!
The fort has grown huge. Even tho they have nicknames, I can barely find them in the huge list!!
All 3 (finally) get convicted of 1 murder each. 1 gets beaten to death!! Yay!! But he other 2 escape unharmed!! Wtf? Really. I'm NOT fighting that list again.
So for 2 or 3 years now, 2 known vamps stalk the halls of Anvillocked, feeding at will.
But now the "delayed punishment" thoughts are spreading. Just f'n great.

I'm going to convict them for 1 murder each, if they don't get beaten....well I have a military miner squad that is "somehow" short 2 dwarfs. Ill enlist them to that squad. When they enter the barracks the door will lock behind them and the the 8 legendaries will say " why is there only 1 bed?! Where's the food? WHERE'S THE BOOZE!??!!
We'll see who lives then, wont we?

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 02:00:26 pm »

Define a burrow on the bridge. Or assign dwarves in a squad and station them on the bridge.

For me, the second way is usually faster.

Indeed, with the added benefit of ordering them to not equip any equipment strictly. As to avoid waste,

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 10:21:09 am »

I usually keep the useful dwarves inside of the fortress where they can make stuff for trade and craft weapons for the dwarves that aren't as useful. They get the glorious duty of holding the line above and below the fortress from oncoming undead hordes, goblin armies, and random forgotten beasts.

The nicest thing I've done for the army is dump the bodies into a big communal graveyard full of coffins.
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2]