Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smiley vs. Beard Face  (Read 4417 times)

Randos

• Bay Watcher
  • The Earth Strikes You!
    • View Profile
    • Comic Wolf
Smiley vs. Beard Face
« on: April 12, 2016, 05:40:39 pm »

I was just looking at some screenshots of an old fortress game and noticed that the dwarfs just had smiley faces as icons, but I also notice the more frequently used symbol of dwarf fortress being the little icon that looks like a bearded face. So what happened here?

I don't seem to be using tilesets on either of these. Did an older version not have the current bearded face ASCII symbols?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smiley vs. Beard Face
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:48:32 pm »

If you shrink the window size down, you get smiley faces. If you run the game in full screen, you get beardfaces.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 08:14:44 pm »

I play in fullscreen and I have never once seen a bearded dwarf.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:48:21 pm »

I play in fullscreen and I have never once seen a bearded dwarf.
Weird. What I typed is what I've seen since I started playing years ago.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:51:16 pm »

Hmm, that must be it. I've been playing since around 2014 and the only time I've ever seen bearded dwarves is in screenshots of v0.30 or whatever was available back then.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:51:57 pm »

Hmm, that must be it. I've been playing since around 2014 and the only time I've ever seen bearded dwarves is in screenshots of v0.30 or whatever was available back then.
Except I'm playing the latest version, and in fullscreen I definitely see beards.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 08:56:49 pm »

It used to be the case for vanilla that certain display configurations (iirc windoweded vs. fullscteen) would display a different tileset with squished-up dwarf symbols. Toady changed up something a few years back and I don't think it happens anymore.

vipersting

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Astronomer Adequate Plumber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:36:31 pm »

You can change it by pressing F11, the beard faces is for the square tile layout and the smiley face is for the rectangular tile layout

Randos

• Bay Watcher
  • The Earth Strikes You!
    • View Profile
    • Comic Wolf
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 11:20:13 am »

You can change it by pressing F11, the beard faces is for the square tile layout and the smiley face is for the rectangular tile layout

Hm... I think this mystery is still unsolved. Pressing F11 didn't change anything for me. Although that was in an old 2014 version.  I also tried enlarging and shrinking the window and that didn't change anything.

The old screenshots I had were from this same 2014 version, playing at full screen (but windowed), and it had smiley faces. However now when I load the backup of this same 2014 version it shows the bearded faces! And regardless of window size. So does it have something to do with the ASCII installed on the computer?

It is a Linux port of the game, and both before and now I was loading it in Debian based Linux, but it showed the smiley faces in the old screenshots and beards when I play it now.

Here's the old screenshot. (which has some fun about to commence)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here is the same game backup loaded in another Linux running in VM.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:07:15 pm »

*cough*

*cough*

It's all about the tilesets (which are different from graphics sets) and whether or not your game is set up to use a different one at different resolutions/in full screen or not.

It's why I keep the different dorf tiles cut out of the rest of my tileset .xcf's in GIMP so I can swap them in easily when I do things like change the walls or fix an error on a tile somewhere.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 02:07:36 am »

Curses_square_16x16 and curses_800x600 tilesets have beards, while curses_640x300 doesn't.

Edit: Fixed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:23:06 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 03:10:42 am »

The curses_800x600 actually has beards as well.

Randos

• Bay Watcher
  • The Earth Strikes You!
    • View Profile
    • Comic Wolf
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:32 am »

*cough*

*cough*

It's all about the tilesets (which are different from graphics sets) and whether or not your game is set up to use a different one at different resolutions/in full screen or not.

It's why I keep the different dorf tiles cut out of the rest of my tileset .xcf's in GIMP so I can swap them in easily when I do things like change the walls or fix an error on a tile somewhere.

Randos

• Bay Watcher
  • The Earth Strikes You!
    • View Profile
    • Comic Wolf
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 08:34:14 pm »

OK, that last post was supposed to say something under the quote, don't know what happened there!

Anyway, I was saying thanks to Max^tm for the input, that sounds like a good answer to the question. Although a small mystery still remains...

Why did it use the smiley tileset on my previous computer and then switch to the bearded one in the new computer with the backup? I am quite sure didn't change any settings.

So I guess in addition to there being different tilesets, there must be something that triggers the selection of the tileset on certain OS's. Weird.

Anyway, that's getting deeper than I really needed for this trivia question :) Thanks for the input!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 12:40:02 am »

OK, that last post was supposed to say something under the quote, don't know what happened there!
You put your response in the spoiler part of the quote.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?