Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Atomsmasher question  (Read 541 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Atomsmasher question
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:09:00 pm »

Hey guys, want to play with an atomsmasher for my refuse...never done it before.

So what I have done is built a room with a 3x6 bridge.  I've tried to put a refuse stockpile underneath the bridge (after raising it) but it won't allow it.  So I've extended the room a bit and put a refuse stockpile there.  When full, I (d)(b)(d) and select the refuse, then use DF Hack to Autodump into the space under the bridge.  Drop the bridge...and the parts just fly around the room but are not destroyed.

I'm in a volcano embark and limited on flat surface area outside so will need to do an indoor refuse pile.  I can always do a vent with a grate to seal off the refuse room...but thought the Atomsmasher would be a good use here.  But as noted, just spraying the parts around and not destroying them.  Any thoughts to fix this or how to set it up correctly?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atomsmasher question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:45:26 pm »

1. When designing the bridge, press either w,a,d or x to decide its raise direction.
2. Use a roof and walls to seal the bridge.
3.  Also you can leave a hole above the bridge and put a garbage dump zone beside the hole so they are throw junks onto the bridge without walking  into the dangerous area.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:47:00 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

sivistojko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 08:13:19 pm »

HEllo. Like Libash already said, raising bridge is also an option if retracting bridge doesn't work as intended. I personally use just 1x1 raising bridge, and there is a designated dump zone on top of it (on the same z level). Dump zone can hold unlimited items so just 1x1 is enough for garbage dump. Unfortunately, you can't place a stockpile on top of the bridge like you can designate a dump zone.

However, when you press 'o' for orders, then press 'r' for refuse and then there is an option (in 0.42.06 at least with DFHack) for different refuse items to be gathered or dumped. So there you can assign corpses and rotten stuff to go directly to the garbage dump instead of going to the refuse stockpile. This means you don't even need refuse stockpile for discarded items, unless we are talking about useful bones and skins that you want to keep, in which case you need another stockpile for those on some other place.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:15:07 am »

You can also set up a mine cart on a track stop at the level above your raising drawbridge (as said above, a retracting one doesn't smash things), and set the track stop to dump through a hole onto the raised bridge (raising bridges smash on coming down: upwards it flings things, apart from the "hinge" which can smash on the upswing as well). Assign a track route with a route stop on top of the track stop, assign a mine cart, and set the route stop to take from a stockpile with the stuff you want to get rid of. Don't forget to set the route stop to take the things to dump (you can use broader category than you need, as it will take only what's in the stockpile).

Edit: Since you're on a volcano, you can also use the design above to dump into magma.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:31:38 pm »

Lava in dwarf fortress is like water in real life: