Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SMAC Playthrough: Talent Yang of The Hive! (status: paused)  (Read 3679 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SMAC Playthrough: Talent Yang of The Hive! (status: paused)
« on: April 11, 2016, 04:05:29 pm »

In the year 2060 of United Nation's Calendar, or as some might it remember more precisely, in 1838 of Chinese New Era, the C.S.S Wu Zetian (masquerading as United Nations spaceship Unity) has been launched toward Alpha Centauri, carrying the strongest, smartest and the best of humanity toward the distant planet.

And now, it has arrived.

Welcome to my Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri playthrough! This will be basically my 3rd game ever in SMAC, so hey it will be still a learning experience for me.

Hop in into your landing pod, because we're soon gonna do...

Update 0: THE PLANETFALL!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Options! These are the ones I'm comfortable with. What I'm not comfortable with will be the difficulty - from by previous 'Citizen' (easiest) we will play this as Talent (3rd out of 6 difficulties). Earlier I focused on tech, trading with neighbours, keeping them happy, and then rolling technologically and economically into Trascendent victory. I guess this time I will be having some difficulties.

My authocratic/totalitarian/communist inner self devil speaks to me via Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, and so we will play as The Hive!

*fffwwooooOOOOOOOSSHHHhhh...*

In this playthrough instead of usual Huge Planet map that I played previously, I went with custom generated Planet: 30-50% water coverage, medium erosion, planetlife, and so on, huge size.

This is our landing spot. No water in immediate area which is good. Sporadic fungus, and few supply pods in arm's reach. We will send the Scout Patrol and Colony Pod on immediate scouting mission.

Fastest ever I got an Alien Artifact!
On the same turn, the Colony Pod found a hydrology pod - a river was discovered running by The Hive and then south, pretty neat!

We will mix military and science. This way we can trade with Morgan for economy techs and Deidre for ecology techs.

If we find them fast, that's it.

A new town was created; unfortunately as the omniscient Advisor said in the screen I wasn't able to capture, Brother Lal of the Peacekeepers founded the first new city 2 mission years earlier.

Our lone scout was accosted by some ugly bolognese pasta, but managed to repel it and get a level up. Yay!

Our scout went east, and found another pod by the river- wait, Datapod? I don't remember these-

Awww yee. I always have gotten artifacts, resources tiles or energy credits or local maps, but never before a free tech. This is nice!

Our first breakthrough is in Applied Physics. LAZORS PEW PEW PEW.

Of course The University would get the first tech.

They always do.

Our Scout unleashed an earthquake and raised a hill. Also, have this as a map of our current antics in the region. The Colony Pod is moving to a tile just east of those 2 Minerals piles. With river nearby, the city founded there could be a good industrial center in the future.

That's all for now; it's mostly a thread set-up update than anything majorly important :P
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:57:44 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: SMAC Playthrough: Talent Yang of The Hive! (status: on-going)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:13:36 pm »

First! Haven't read anything yet, but I'm sure it's going to be great!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 04:17:11 pm »

Yay!

Aren't the images a bit too fuckhueg tho v:

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 04:25:33 pm »

PTW

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:29:36 pm »

Pretty sure you already know about this, but you resize images with [width=numbers height=numbers] this can mess up some images though. Also, you might want to cut down on extra space in some of these images.

Spoiler: Original image (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Slightly edited image (click to show/hide)

Besides that the update was enjoyable.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:41:09 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:49:38 pm »

alt+printscreen works wonky with this game. Imma try with next updoots v;
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 05:55:28 pm »

alt+printscreen works wonky with this game. Imma try with next updoots v;

If the game allows you to alt+tab you could probably just use the snipping tool that comes with Windows (Well, Windows 8.1 at least, I can't remember if it came with 7) as that is what I do and it works fine for the most part. I'm sure there are other programs that do the same thing if you don't use Windows, they probably do it better really. Snipping tool is kinda basic, but it takes screencaps and that's what matters.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:52:48 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 07:51:38 pm »

Yang is one of my favourites to play in SMAC, right next to Morgan, whose strategy is completely different.  Morgan excels in the mid-late game once Industrial Automation emerges and credits flow freely.  Credits mean money (rush-building), tech and luxuries (less drone control).  Morgan can pretty much buy the world, if he survives to the mid-game.

Spoiler: Accidental infodump! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:49:59 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 03:38:10 am »

I have this game on hard-disc, but I don't know if it works on my computer, or if it is damaged, having not checked it thoroughly. :D

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 12:04:51 pm »

Good luck on your smac run. This one is good fun too, and The Hive is usually a fun faction to play. Definately suited to an early conquest victory. So borg away and crush the opposition under the weight of your empire.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 02:45:54 pm »

Rivers are only good for energy, iirc. That base will have next to no food, unless I am missing something. (Which is entirely possible, given that it's been years since I played SMAC. Still a brilliant game though.)

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 03:00:27 pm »

PTW
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 04:45:46 pm »

I love this game. I tend to prefer to play as Lal or Diedre, though. Never got the hang of The Hive.

PTW

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 04:49:02 am »

Update 1: Some Commlinks and Many Technologies

The first thing we get is that a scout I had auto-ed toward a pod discovered Doctrine: Mobility files. We can now make speeders, the horsemen of Alpha Centauri, if you will.

Few very uneventful turns later, Social Artery is build; it's the base near those minerals I talked about in previous update.
Also, The Hive spawned the last Colony Pod so I told it to start working on Command Nexus which gives you Command Centers in every base for free.

Next turn we find another Artifact. Curses, I really need to get Network Nodes so I can finally open those.

Then we get more mindworms, attacking freshly trained Scout Patrol at Social Artery...

Next turn after that, we create People's Endeavor, the fourth base of The Hive.

Also, I decided to spend one of the Alien Artifacts to hurry up Command Nexus project; it cut off half the required time, neat.

Eeeespecially that our scout found yet another Artifact!

By 2129 we are like a spreading wildfire, and now we have 5 bases.

Ah yes, the Biogenetics. They allow us to build Recycling Tanks, which get us extra minerals and are eco-friendly (a tiny bit). Every base will have one, because 'It is every citizen's final duty to go to the tanks, and become one with all the people'.

Aren't we Hive-Humans efficient, teeheehee~

Oops, our scout fell through a dimensional gate hidden under a Unity pod.

6 Turns later and we get Information Networks! We can build Network Nodes and cash-in those artifacts we have.

And a Colony Pod trips over a Datapod next turn which earns us Centauri Ecology tech. Sweeet.

Look whom our unlucky dimensional-gate-tripping scout found.

I have accepted the offer. Then we also traded Doctrine: Mobility for her secrets on Nonlinear Mathematics.

Now it's time to switch channel to:

CEO Nwabudike Morgan!

As we do not have Planned economy (yet), he is OK with being our buddy. I gave him Biogenetics for map of Spartan territory, and then gave him Doctrine: Mobility for his Social Psych.

He also signed Pact of Friendship with us. Can we take it further?

D'aww, Morgan is best buddies with us <3

But here is something that worries me: the borderlands of Col.Santiago. Will we have to go to war soon? Or mayhaps Santiago can keep out of our lands?

I guess we will see about that in next update!
SigFlags!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 07:42:31 pm »

Santiago makes an ideal vassal, just saying...
Pages: [1] 2